"Double Trouble" - December 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore.
Not a phrase I've heard before, but Google helped.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:19 am Hate to say it but still on the ship. This is getting frustrating!!
Update: got first part pf mechanism (Duh!) no clue on rest yet.

Also I thought it particularly cruel that Matt used "Mass in B minor" for 7D given that was another meta I didn't solve!

Further update: What I thought (think) is the first part of the mechanism confuses me even more. Now all I have to figure out is what the hell the title means, the use of the (possible?) theme answers and said first mechanism part. HOW CAN THESE BE CONSIDERED EASY! Must mean overthinking but......

FURTHER further update: thought I had the oft-mentioned (in this thread) proverbial shower solve! Run to Google and literally NO search results. How does that even happen? I trust based on this thread that the mechanism is 100% but now need to figure rest. I know I am closer and honestly I would have been disappointed at my first answer because there were unanswered questions. Gonna give it the day and they make ask for a nudge.
Last edited by mattythewsjpuzzler on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

roberto wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:01 am
Ergcat wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:44 pm
Dplass wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:32 pm

I was 19 in '87. Am I in the wrong forum?
My daughter and fellow muggle, Regfish7, was only 1 in 1987 ! So muggles come in all ages!!
I turned 3 in ‘87 :) Not old enough to remember Burma Shave, and I only moved to the US in 2014 in any case, but I remember reading about the Burma Shave roadside advertising in a couple Bill Bryson’s books - “Lost Continent” and “Made in America” IIRC. R.I.P. :(
Bill Bryson is still on this side of the grass. He also wrote a great book on Australia originally called "Down Under". It was renamed for some reason, likely involving lawyers, to "In A Sunburned Country" or variations on that.
Rufus T. Firefly
mindle

Post by mindle »

On shore. Have a nice weekend!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:21 pm
roberto wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:01 am
Ergcat wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:44 pm
My daughter and fellow muggle, Regfish7, was only 1 in 1987 ! So muggles come in all ages!!
I turned 3 in ‘87 :) Not old enough to remember Burma Shave, and I only moved to the US in 2014 in any case, but I remember reading about the Burma Shave roadside advertising in a couple Bill Bryson’s books - “Lost Continent” and “Made in America” IIRC. R.I.P. :(
Bill Bryson is still on this side of the grass. He also wrote a great book on Australia originally called "Down Under". It was renamed for some reason, likely involving lawyers, to "In A Sunburned Country" or variations on that.
All the Bryson books I’ve read have been terrific.
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore without falling into a rabbit hole, surprisingly.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Just came ashore after brainstorm assistance from my wife.

The solution first crossed my mind while working out but I kinda blew it off with a nah!

When I showed my wife the mechanism, she blurted out the phrase, and I said yeah! No idea why I blew it off the first time.

So happy to be on dry land; taking the remainder of the weekend off. Now searching for a fine cigar and adult beverage!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

I don't know whether the other person found it or not, but if you go to https://www.wsj.com/newsletters, toward the bottom is a list of alerts and there you will find the daily puzzle alert. It only provides for the daily crosswords; if you do the variety/acrostic puzzles, you have to go to the site on Saturday afternoon for the posting.
Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

Wandering lost below decks. Optimism created by last week's easy puzzle has faded...
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

No trouble
Make mine
A double
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I was stumped until this morning at breakfast. I told my husband I needed to run it by him. He laughed and said I was sweet for letting him think he could help. After showing him, I immediately solved it. Funny how saying things out loud sometimes will shake the answer loose.

I’m ready for the tiki bar now. We are off to a fundraiser that was moved outdoors due to COVID. I’m just glad I don’t have to get dressed up this year (and the weather is unseasonably warm).
Secret Adversary

Post by Secret Adversary »

Pretty sure I’ve got it, but one bit is puzzling me, you might say. Anyone care to chat offline to verify please?
Happy to provide nudges if you see that I have solved.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got a late start as we were on a trip to NYC and decided not to try on the plane ride home with my phone.

Anyhow, am now on shore.

Cute one, IMHO
pilsbandy

Post by pilsbandy »

Solved the grid, pretty sure I'm onto the mechanism, but can't come up with any phrase. Would anybody ashore be willing to verify if I'm at least on the right track?
Joey Avocado

Post by Joey Avocado »

Fun one

Don’t give up.

Reading this entire thread definitely helped.

You can do it! :D
b4alltime

Post by b4alltime »

Ashore with confidence. Been a while. What became of the difficuly ratings?
Happy holidays to all.
Jim
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Joey Avocado wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:51 pm Fun one

Don’t give up.

Reading this entire thread definitely helped.

You can do it! :D
I guess I am about to read through this entire thread again since I’m close to giving up! I have a good idea what I need to use, but can’t find a mechanism for it yet. I’ll be paddling around at sea for a while.
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Toes in the sand!

I was explaining the puzzle to my wife and the aha moment came - she said she enjoyed seeing the light come on!

She’s now officially part of the meta solving team :D
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
LuscombeDriver

Post by LuscombeDriver »

There used to be a rating given at the top of the page, right under the title and date. Now it says "Rate the difficulty of the meta". I'm with you - what happened?
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

On shore but slightly blurry as to how I got here….!