MEOW #95 Stop! That's a Command

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #95 Stop! That's a Command

Post by DrTom »

Back again so soon DrTom? Well yes actually, this is what happens when better constructors have other things to do; you get me back-to-back. This was a bit of a rush job because I was not expecting to be up to bat this fast, but I had this tested by a few people and they did not give it an immediate thumbs down, so now you are all stuck with it.

I am assuming everyone will see the “click” rather quickly, but you may need Google (depending on your childhood) to get to the answer. I would rate this as a mean Persian or tame Puma, but as past experience has shown I am TERRIBLE at rating my puzzles. There is a Crosshare link, mainly because people seem to want one, but I admit I am not very familiar with it and I get confused with the solvers. Some of you have a different name on that site leading me to have to decide who you “are” as a Muggle. If you do the Crosshare version and your Muggle name is different, please let me know with a PM.

My plan is to have the nudges on Saturday, but I might do them Friday like I did for “Split The Bill” because it is never my intent to cause angst and frustration with my puzzles. I really want you to solve them and if you can’t it is probably because as a creator I of course know the “trick” and that blinds me to how hard it might be. Thus, if you cannot solve it is my duty to try to rectify any obfuscation (gosh don’t I wish I could fit that in a grid sometime) with the aid of a nudge.

Stop, That's a Command! PUZ

Stop, That's a Command! PDF

Stop, That's a Command! spreadsheet

Stop, That's a Command crosshare

NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Solved. Fun!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Solved. Confirmed via crosshare.

If Dr. Tom is a gentleman, is he pungent?
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Well, I am stumped.
Cynthia
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, now if this were one of Ben's......

I'm stumped.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
boharr

Post by boharr »

The cat has been liberated. Thanks, DrTom.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

The cat is loose after a misstep Googling. Very nice clues. Thanks, DrTom.
Cindy Heisler
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

The cat roams free!

Thanks, Dr. T!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ky-mike wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:04 pm Solved. Confirmed via crosshare.

If Dr. Tom is a gentleman, is he pungent?
Not sure, but I am a fungi!

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cinny wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:44 pm The cat is loose after a misstep Googling. Very nice clues. Thanks, DrTom.
I know, and believe me I worry about that. Depending on what you Google you may have trouble solving. Obviously I'll explain on Tuesday.
Meg

Post by Meg »

The kitten is happily climbing up/shredding the drapes. Nice one, Dr. T!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cat's out!

Nice one, @DrTom. It took me awhile to come to my senses but the aha moment was worth waiting for!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Not seeing anything yet.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Ergcat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:35 pm Not seeing anything yet.
Me neither. Is this one of those "white cat on a pile of white laundry" or "black cat in a black chair" things?
woozy

Post by woozy »

hoover wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:28 pm
Ergcat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:35 pm Not seeing anything yet.
Me neither. Is this one of those "white cat on a pile of white laundry" or "black cat in a black chair" things?
... or, in my case, "You left the door open again, dolt".
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, end of Day 1 and the solves are REALLY trickling in. I'm not sure what I fear most:
(1) It is WAY harder than I thought and people are struggling
(2) It's MEH and people are not interested
(3) people are just not interested

Well here are those whose cats are running around like crazy:

Cinny
HoldThatThought
dplass
kymike
boharr
kitchendiva
Meg
CKochmanski
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DrTom wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:36 pm Cinny
HoldThatThought
dplass
kymike
boharr
kitchendiva
Meg
CKochmanski
And me! (I like solving on my phone so I tend to PM rather than compete on Crosshare.)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

DrTom wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:36 pm OK, end of Day 1 and the solves are REALLY trickling in. I'm not sure what I fear most:
Like so many metas it's not necessarily WAY harder, just a mechanism I haven't seen yet. Your puzzles are always enjoyable (and I sure enjoyed the grid) so I'll keep working on it right up until I find it or we get the reveal. :)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, finally, after @Cinny kept telling me to look at _______. (sigh) Thanks for the puzzle, @DrTom !
Cynthia
rjy

Post by rjy »

edestlin wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:33 am
DrTom wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:36 pm OK, end of Day 1 and the solves are REALLY trickling in. I'm not sure what I fear most:
Like so many metas it's not necessarily WAY harder, just a mechanism I haven't seen yet. Your puzzles are always enjoyable (and I sure enjoyed the grid) so I'll keep working on it right up until I find it or we get the reveal. :)
Ditto… not quite ready to concede WAY harder, but always interested, just haven’t found a toehold yet. Fun clueing, as always!
Ray