"Inner Turmoil" - April 8, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

flamingbear wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:13 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:45 am
flamingbear wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:24 am

Is that proper etiquette? I’ve always asked if someone can give me a nudge, then gone back and edited to say I got my nudge. I’m happy to do it either way. And I’m probably about to ask for my nudge.

Edit: maybe this is a dumb question since you are the cruise director,
Bear
I am not sure which part you are questioning about etiquette. We encourage people to request nudges offline by sending PM's. Also people who get the answer from a zoom solving sessions use them for learning but they don't submit to the WSJ.

And it is not a dumb question.
The etiquette I was questioning was to PM someone directly. In the past I asked for someone who was around and willing to give a nudge. How do I know who's willing and able to help?
I suggest selecting any of the regulars that you see on pages 1-4 and send the request to a couple of them. Almost all are willing to help. If you don't hear back it more likely means that they are tied up as opposed to not wanting to help.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Still in the ship's bar
Cramming Isaac's tip jar full.
Still seeing nothing.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Well, I missed this one! My daughter finally helped me to get it, but I won’t send it in as I needed too much help. Mr. Gaffney, you are really clever. Thank you, again, for the fun challenge.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:51 pm
flamingbear wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:13 pm
The etiquette I was questioning was to PM someone directly. In the past I asked for someone who was around and willing to give a nudge. How do I know who's willing and able to help?
I suggest selecting any of the regulars that you see on pages 1-4 and send the request to a couple of them. Almost all are willing to help. If you don't hear back it more likely means that they are tied up as opposed to not wanting to help.
My added advice, especially if time is of the essence: Look on the main page to see what members are online; click on their name and scroll thru their recent posts to see if they have come ashore this weekend...more likely to get a response from someone who is already here. :)
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

flamingbear wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:13 pm The etiquette I was questioning was to PM someone directly. In the past I asked for someone who was around and willing to give a nudge. How do I know who's willing and able to help?
Why not simply ask them? I've never been turned away. It is one of the things I love about this group!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

You can put me on the shore with my nudges from Cynthia and Barbara. Thank you both.
Matt / Flamingbear
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

For the first time this year, I am the Mile High Questioner, not the Mile High Solver. If anyone is online and could help me set my sails in the correct direction, I'd appreciate it!

Edit: made it onshore thanks to a kind Muggle who often seems to help me.
Last edited by MileHighSolver on Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ArchaicMage

Post by ArchaicMage »

Finally on shore after multiple nudges from BarbaraK (thank you so much!!!) and lots of staring and numbering and counting and.... rabbit holes. I def don't agree with the answer but I'm still a newbie so hopefully I'll get better at (and more appreciative of) these tough meta's with time...
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

🏝on shore 🏝

with a few *hints* and much encouragement from @HunterX ! Thank you, friend!
femullen

Post by femullen »

Dulles is the worst of all places to return to the US. We were in an airplane for nearly ten hours and flew most of 5,000 miles. But it took us 2.5 hours to go the next quarter mile from the gate to our patiently waiting ride.

During the long and taxing shuffle through the understaffed customs queue, DHS was pleased to play for us, on a jumbotron and on a loop, admonitions from the DHS secretary and FAA administrator on how sincerely they sought our safety and how severely they punished misbehaviour.

Finally arrived at the interview booth, I was asked whether I had brought any agricultural products home in my luggage. "No. I bought a bushel of tomatoes overseas, but I threw them all at the DHS secretary and FAA administrator," is what I didn't say, penalties for misbehavour, after all, being severe.

I am glad to be back in this most wonderful country. Muggles will forgive me, however, if I failed to solve the meta during those hours of purgatory, which in my mind were overwhelmed by ungenerous sentiments toward our government stewards.

Grid done. Not waiting to get ashore before cracking the best cabernet.

Ahoy, Isaac!
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Not seeing anything, no step 1, no step 2, no real rabbit hole, no nothing
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am on the ship. I have seen one SOLITARY rabbit hole--and that didn't peter out (ha ha). I don't think that I will be hitting the SAND anytime soon. It seems like every six months or so, I have a spell where my metaness just sPIrals downward for a few weeks and then it PERks back up again. Here's hoping it perks up soon--like by tonight!

And to add to the Muggle Zoom conversation, I like the idea of a Sunday evening one (love the "Last Call at Isaac's" name). On Fridays, I still have high hopes that I can solve it--by Sunday, my stubborn competitiveness is wearing off.

Little Red Schoolhouse, IL, May 2003
steveb

Post by steveb »

femullen wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:05 pm Dulles is the worst of all places to return to the US. We were in an airplane for nearly ten hours and flew most of 5,000 miles. But it took us 2.5 hours to go the next quarter mile from the gate to our patiently waiting ride.

During the long and taxing shuffle through the understaffed customs queue, DHS was pleased to play for us, on a jumbotron and on a loop, admonitions from the DHS secretary and FAA administrator on how sincerely they sought our safety and how severely they punished misbehaviour.

Finally arrived at the interview booth, I was asked whether I had brought any agricultural products home in my luggage. "No. I bought a bushel of tomatoes overseas, but I threw them all at the DHS secretary and FAA administrator," is what I didn't say, penalties for misbehavour, after all, being severe.

I am glad to be back in this most wonderful country. Muggles will forgive me, however, if I failed to solve the meta during those hours of purgatory, which in my mind were overwhelmed by ungenerous sentiments toward our government stewards.

Grid done. Not waiting to get ashore before cracking the best cabernet.

Ahoy, Isaac!
Get Global Entry! $100 for 5 years (possibly reimbursed by your credit card company) and well worth it even if you only use it once. It includes TSA pre-check, too.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Oh. My. Word.

FINALLY saw the light this afternoon. Whew!

I even took a screen shot of the grid with me so I could glance at it from time to time, trying to get my head in the right space.

Then again, what fun to have this challenge all weekend...I'm happy as long as I made it to the finish line in time to submit! I may not ever be lucky enough to actually win a mug, but it is definitely satisfying to reach the AHA with no outside help.

Cheers everyone!
🌴🍹
Puzzle mom

Post by Puzzle mom »

Got nudged and still got nowhere… will there be a last call zoom session?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Need a nudge and don't have much if anything.

Thanks
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Puzzle mom wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:50 pm Got nudged and still got nowhere… will there be a last call zoom session?
I’ll be there (internet service permitting) if anyone wants to. I have solved.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm going to log into the Zoom room in a couple minutes. Just scroll to the top of this page, find the picture of Isaac, look just below him at 5 o'clock (it's always 5 o'clock at Isaac's!), and click on the "Muggle Zoom Room" link with the camera icon.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Dplass wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:34 am
Grover wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:28 am Putting my blanket down on the beach. Kudos to Mike. How does he do these!?
Isn't this a Matt puzzle?
Yes, but Mike editted the heck out of it!
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

On shore! Finally! Mom called this afternoon with what little info she had gleaned from nudges and I had an epiphany near the end of our convo to set us down the right path.