"Inner Turmoil" - April 8, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Grover wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:28 am Putting my blanket down on the beach. Kudos to Mike. How does he do these!?
Isn't this a Matt puzzle?
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

It took me all weekend but I finally came ashore this morning. Good one!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Looks like I'll be staying on the ship this weekend. This always seems to happen in spurts. Once I have a "hanging-out with Isaac weekend", my meta mojo is disrupted for a while, and I often end up visiting with our beloved bartender for at least another week, or two or. . .
Still, I'm not complaining since I have too much on my plate to spend any more time on this. Number one on the agenda will begin as soon as I submit this post. Gotta get the sheets off my blueberry bushes and hydrangeas. Mr. Hidden thinks I am crazy to save all our old bed sheets, until a frost advisory comes along, and then they are the perfect solution to protecting new growth on shrubs, etc. If only I had enough to cover all our azaleas, too. After that I've got to work on the wording for a plea to our city council at Tuesday's meeting. We are looking for funding for our reading-mentoring program and I definitely need to find the words that will tug on some heartstrings. Meanwhile I'll try to spend a few moments watching Mommy and Daddy Bluebirds tending to their four eggs in the nesting box in our back yard. Love to see Dad bringing mealworms to Mom as she protects her precious clutch!
Sara
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore. Sunburned and dehydrated from multiple days at sea, but finally on the beach. Is there any beer left?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:14 pm
ZooAnimalsOnWheels wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:41 pm
ship4u wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:00 pm I thought the same thing. But when presented with Friday or Saturday, people seemed to prefer Friday.

Edit: I would not be opposed to doing a second zoom on Saturday if there is an interest.
Friday afternoon is also a little early for me because that is often the first day I look at the puzzle, but it's good if I have a full weekend planned. I have always thought that a Sunday Zoom, "Last call at Isaac's bar", would be a good event. Sundays may be easier than Saturdays to get people from coast to coast to agree on a time, maybe 8PM Eastern, 5PM Pacific? I've finished this week's puzzle but would be happy to nudge in a Sunday session if anyone else is interested.
I think having two options is a good idea - different strokes and all. Some people start right at 4 on Thursday and by Friday afternoon are ready to team up or give up. Others start later and/or want to spend the whole weekend working alone before going to a group solve.

Could always try both for a while and see how popular each option is. Though even if only two non-solvers show up and work together, that’s fine. And if only solvers come and end up chatting with each other, that’s fine too.

Colin

Post by Colin »

Friday in the yard,
Saturday watching Masters,
Sunday on board - hard!
One world. One planet. One future.
Puzzle mom

Post by Puzzle mom »

Anyone available to tell me if I found a clue or am just tunneling deeper into my rabbit hole?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Puzzle mom wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:41 am Anyone available to tell me if I found a clue or am just tunneling deeper into my rabbit hole?
Send a PM to someone who is on the shore and tell them what you have done and where you are struggling.

Or we can have a zoom solving session
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:49 am
Puzzle mom wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:41 am Anyone available to tell me if I found a clue or am just tunneling deeper into my rabbit hole?
Send a PM to someone who is on the shore and tell them what you have done and where you are struggling.

Is that proper etiquette? I’ve always asked if someone can give me a nudge, then gone back and edited to say I got my nudge. I’m happy to do it either way. And I’m probably about to ask for my nudge.

Edit: maybe this is a dumb question since you are the cruise director,
Matt / Flamingbear
femullen

Post by femullen »

Just landed at Dulles, and we
Might make it through Customs by three.
The length of this queue
Makes me think that at two
We'll be missing our biscuits and tea.

Good news is that it appears I have plenty of time to work on the grid. Color me still aboard, Cruise Director Bob.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Reporting in late from the shore -- my only turmoil is in deciding where to place my beach towel.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

flamingbear wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:24 am

Is that proper etiquette? I’ve always asked if someone can give me a nudge, then gone back and edited to say I got my nudge. I’m happy to do it either way. And I’m probably about to ask for my nudge.

Bear
I am not sure which part you are questioning about etiquette. We encourage people to request nudges offline by sending PM's. Also people who get the answer from a zoom solving sessions use them for learning but they don't submit to the WSJ.

And it is not a dumb question.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday morning Muggles

There is progress and also frustration as we have 22 on the ship and 104 on the shore

Making their way to the ship's bar since yesterday are

relic (and Maggie)
beccacollins
Janet P
Franklin
flamingbear
802puzzler
Tom S
Hidden in 3D
Prozach
Omnibus
Susan G
femullen

And getting to the nicely crowded shore are

TeamDoubleTow
Jeremy
atom
Adajeo
Homer
CPJohnson
JAQT
jimbo1
Rita and George
Colin
Schmeel
b4alltime
MamaE
Grover
Jim and Anita
mlvilv
cinny
janet

Good luck to all those working on getting to the shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

On The Ship

I feel as though I saw as much as I could see a couple of days ago and opted to practice a little "let it go..."

Spent time on other things --

--including brushing up on my tunes so I could tickle the ivories for compatriots at Isaac's.

Capturebinipiano.PNG
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:45 am
flamingbear wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:24 am

Bear
I am not sure which part you are questioning about etiquette. We encourage people to request nudges offline by sending PM's. Also people who get the answer from a zoom solving sessions use them for learning but they don't submit to the WSJ.

And it is not a dumb question.
The etiquette I was questioning was to PM someone directly. In the past I asked for someone who was around and willing to give a nudge. How do I know who's willing and able to help?
Matt / Flamingbear
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

On shore -- the shore of the Seine in Paris -- this marvellous Sunday evening with a huge grin on my face. What a nice way to end a trip. Just hope MikeMillerWsj can find me here Monday morning . . .
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm with Isaac.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Firmly ensconced on my stool at Isaac's bar. Not at all confident I won't still be here at midnight. My tab might bankrupt me.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Under the weather and On. The. Boat.
Need a shot in the arm to fix both problems. 😡
Anita

Post by Anita »

We've been out of town all week, only had the chance to look at this yesterday. Saw something important this morning, but haven't yet found what to do with it. And we'll be busy again for the rest of today, so I doubt we'll submit before the deadline.