"Double Trouble" - December 3, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:37 am
TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:53 am
Schmeel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:02 pm Ashore.
Not a phrase I've heard before, but Google helped.
I was wondering about people who haven't heard the phrase, because I am sure there are probably a fair number. I think this would be very hard to Google! Impressed that you figured it out!
I thought that familiarity with this phrase would track with age, with the "never heard of it" people being at the younger end of the axis. But Google nGrams shows that it has certainly not faded from use, at least not in books.
Meta.jpg
This is interesting but not really surprising to me. I'm sure my 20-year-old son knows it, even if he's never used it. That said, I still think it's a hard one to Google in this context! We unsuccessfully tried to use Google and we knew the phrase :lol:
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Okay, this one took me a while! I think I swam ashore after my 20th look (or so).

Always fun and nicely done.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I am ashore, but only because Heidi Birker pushed me there! I usually have trouble with this type meta.
Cynthia
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

And then just like that it hits me. No magic mojo this time. Just powering through.

I’m skipping the beach and heading right to the showers. I am worn out from that swim!!!!

Stay well all
KFB

Post by KFB »

Too many or too few breadcrumbs. This one is too many for me. I've got a lot of possible words but not a seven letter phrase. At this late hour I would call it 2.5x trouble. Any help would generate Thanks X 7
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

woozy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:29 am So I'm curious about where most people learn of Burma Shave signs. What percentage was Mad Magazine and what percent was Warner Brothers cartoons? And given that no-one could possibly of learned of them from actual Burma Shave signs, what other sources are there.
I remember them vividly from my time in the 1950s.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Nudged ashore. Not my favorite.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Count me ashore. I'm only there with major help so won't be submitting. Just nice to have it solved.
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Still at sea and hoping to get a nudge from someone. I have some ideas but can’t see where to go with them!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

KFB wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:50 pm Too many or too few breadcrumbs. This one is too many for me. I've got a lot of possible words but not a seven letter phrase. At this late hour I would call it 2.5x trouble. Any help would generate Thanks X 7
I am the queen of typos but just want to make sure you are looking for a 7 WORD phrase.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:50 pm
TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:53 am
I was wondering about people who haven't heard the phrase, because I am sure there are probably a fair number. I think this would be very hard to Google! Impressed that you figured it out!
I thought that familiarity with this phrase would track with age, with the "never heard of it" people being at the younger end of the axis. But Google nGrams shows that it has certainly not faded from use, at least not in books.
Meta.jpg
This is interesting but not really surprising to me. I'm sure my 20-year-old son knows it, even if he's never used it. That said, I still think it's a hard one to Google in this context! We unsuccessfully tried to use Google and we knew the phrase :lol:
I tried Googling it "after the fact" with what I had decided were the "generalizations" from which I had earlier decided I wanted it boiled down from. Turns out that it made a huge difference whether I used "phrase", "quote", "idiom", or "aphorism" with my other terms. Three were useless. One brought up the meta answer as the first option. :-)
woozy

Post by woozy »

mntlblok wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:56 pm
I tried Googling it "after the fact" with what I had decided were the "generalizations" from which I had earlier decided I wanted it boiled down from. Turns out that it made a huge difference whether I used "phrase", "quote", "idiom", or "aphorism" with my other terms. Three were useless. One brought up the meta answer as the first option. :-)
But with what keywords? That's what would have gotten me.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Thanks to another patient nudge from @Wendy Walker , we are cavorting on the shore with the rest of the celebrants.

Looking forward to Monday's discussion.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Someone tell me, should I have a good satisfying click with this? I think I know the answer, but I’m not sure. That must mean, I’m wrong. Argh.

EDIT: Never mind. Got confirmation of my answer. Thanks for the help Wendy Walker!
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I got there finally!! Glad to be safely on the sand with the group.............

Luck to all this week!
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On the shore! With some time to spare
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I believe I’ve arrived on the shore. Hopefully it’s the correct shore. Not a strong click with this.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:50 pm
TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:53 am I was wondering about people who haven't heard the phrase, because I am sure there are probably a fair number. I think this would be very hard to Google! Impressed that you figured it out!
Meta.jpg
We were looking at what we had discovered and trying to come up with different ways of characterizing it. I used one word in the phrase, plus something else that, let's say, plays a part in it. My 25 year old heard that and said the phrase pretty quickly. We knew that must be it, and just had to put the pieces together after that. So he clearly knew it and was triggered to remember it by a single word.
mntlblok

Post by mntlblok »

woozy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:19 pm
mntlblok wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:56 pm
But with what keywords? That's what would have gotten me.
Well, dang! I'm trying to stay out of spoiler jail!
Chantellebeal

Post by Chantellebeal »

On shore! I did not have a lot of time this weekend, but glad I took a few minutes to look at this again. My first impression was right, but now I am sure! Fun meta.