MEOW #149 Benchen71 Cryptic #1

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

MEOW #149 Benchen71 Cryptic #1

Post by benchen71 »

Madhatter5 constructed a number of cryptic crosswords back in the day which I very much enjoyed solving. However, he rarely (if ever?) included them in his MEOW series, probably because cryptics are not to everyone's taste - and they aren't usually metas, either. Well, allow me to rectify that! The answer to the meta is a girl's name.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Benchen71 Cryptic #1 - Online Form
Benchen71 Cryptic #1 - PUZ
Benchen71 Cryptic #1 - PDF
Benchen71 Cryptic #1 - spreadsheet

Kitten
Calico
Persian - mostly because of the cryptic cluing!
Puma
Lion

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

cover.jpg
Last edited by benchen71 on Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

The cat is free! Thanks for the fun puzzle, don't think I've ever seen a cryptic meta mashup before.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

The cat is free, thanks for the puzzle, I enjoyed it!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Bag sans cat!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

The cat has gotten out of the bag! Thanks, Ben. It was fun to actually solve a cryptic puzzle.
Cindy Heisler
Meg

Post by Meg »

The cat rolled nicely out of the bag. It’s amazing how long you can stare at something!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

This cat is no cryptic dude but, with help, has escaped.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Cat escapes capture with delight for a fulfilling experience. Thanks, Ben.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Fun filling out a cryptic puzzle ( first for me!) but not seeing the meta-nism to free the cat.

UPDATE: posted above then took another look and BAM… the cat jumped free!!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Fill was tough despite my proclivity to turn a phrase. Seems I am a better doer than a finder. Got there with help on about 1/3 of them and saw the answer quickly. I'd say I am off to the races, but I think that might frighten people (told you I was a better doer than finder!).

Cat is out!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, but only because a kind muggle dragged me to the answer; I don’t normally do cryptics. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben.
Last edited by CPJohnson on Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynthia
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Cat's out of the bag after a couple of missteps that led me to the right path. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben. I've heard of cryptics but not tried one before - appreciate the introduction!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

22 solvers succeeded in freeing the cryptic cat! :D

kieranjboyd
SamKat9
Darrell
Pair O Ducks
I K Snamhcok
Hector
Cindy Heisler
boharr
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
Darth
dannyvee
Laura M
JM
DrTom
Ergcat
LB800
Carolyn
CPJohnson
Gutman
Mwoychick
Tyrpmom

Great start, everyone!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Berto

Post by Berto »

I was about to reach out for a nudge when it suddenly jumped out at me. Cat debagged!
woozy

Post by woozy »

hmm... I'm having the exact opposite experience than most. The cryptic was challenging but not that difficult and with cross letters it all come readily enough.

But the meta....?

Um, how can there be anything? There isn't really anywhere to look. I have utterly no idea.

Actually there was only one cryptic entry I can quite get a total fix on... but that can't be the key to the meta can it?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:29 am Actually there was only one cryptic entry I can quite get a total fix on... but that can't be the key to the meta can it?
Almost certainly not. I do plan to provide a full explanation of all clues after the answer reveal. :D
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Don't usually do cryptics, but I gave this a try and surprisingly was able to decipher, deduce or otherwise* solve the grid. It was fun and quite entertaining!
(* Proud of myself for not using Reveal; but a couple of times did resort to somewhat randomly entering letters and hitting Check. :P )

But I'm still not seeing the name. Hoping it hits me or jumps out at me as others have mentioned it happened to them.

Right you are about madhatter, Ben.
And a little stroll down memory lane..
The first time he presented us with a meta creation (a couple of months before MEOW was firmly established as such) he announced: I made a thing!
When he eventually offered a cryptic (and I don't believe it was a meta) for the first time, his words were: I made a British thing! Gotta love it! :lol:

So I guess my cat is sort of poised --
CapturecatStayin in box.PNG
rjy

Post by rjy »

Really loved this one, Ben. I understand the concept of cryptics, and have completed just one or two (have attempted quite a few tho). But this was fun, mostly accessible, with fun little aha’s along the way. There were three entries I didn’t get and had to reveal - happy you’ll be posting explanations. Thanks!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:19 am 22 solvers succeeded in freeing the cryptic cat! :D
Shouldn't that be: "Dropping the price of the unorthodox act to nothing?"

I mean if we are going to be "cryptic"...

I feel there are more coming (Why? Oh, I dunno, Cryptic #1 seems like a harbinger) so maybe I'll catch on. Heaven help you all if I decide I like them, my regular clues are cryptic enough!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I am actually astonished that anyone is able to solve a meta from this. As it is a sparesly british style cryptic and all clues have cryptic cluing there isn't any valid reason to recognize any entries over others as "themers" and one certainly can't ask "did you see anything odd or notice any irregular occurance". So what the heck is there to "jump out at you"?

I'll take any nudge. (There's actually three dead ends that maybe could be toe-holds but I didn't want to comment on them in the off chance they were the key... but they certainly are not rabbit holes--- unless "rabbit hole" means "even densely packed soil uniform for all distances in all directions")
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.