MEOW #138 Checkmate

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #138 Checkmate

Post by DrTom »

I asked Chris Barbee if he could help us out with a MEOW and almost before you knew it he had this beauty. It is a bit tricky (how it gets it's Calico + rating) but certainly doable; plus the AHA is a chuckle. Oh, and in case you are wondering, it has nothing to do with Ben's CHECKMATE MEOW from last week, it is just that great minds think alike!😊

Satisfaction comes from both the meta answer and the meta title

Kitten
CALICO/Persian
Puma
Lion

List of the usual:
Pay attention to the things you are supposed to pay attention to - check
Leader Board - check
Nudges (if needed) - check
Available by PM - check
Admiration from your coleagues if you are the first to solve - check
$100,000 prize if you are the first to solve - we are sorry but that feature is temporarily unavailable for this puzzle. In speaking with our trouble shooter we are informed it should be available Friday or Saturday around the turn of the century

Checkmate online form

Checkmate PUZ

Checkmate PDF

Checkmate spreadsheet

NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cat's out! Nice to have a time-zone advantage when $100,000 is on the line! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hoover

Post by hoover »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:53 am Cat's out! Nice to have a time-zone advantage when $100,000 is on the line! :D
Ha! I was awake when the puzzle dropped and tried to work it last night, but the grid fill was a bear and I only just now figured out the left 2/3 of the upper 1/3. But I did it without searching, so there's that. Now for the meta... I see something, but who knows whether it's a coincidence or deliberately planted.

BTW, if you win, that's $100,000 in AUD, not USD.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hoover wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:23 am
benchen71 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:53 am Cat's out! Nice to have a time-zone advantage when $100,000 is on the line! :D
Ha! I was awake when the puzzle dropped and tried to work it last night, but the grid fill was a bear and I only just now figured out the left 2/3 of the upper 1/3. But I did it without searching, so there's that. Now for the meta... I see something, but who knows whether it's a coincidence or deliberately planted.

BTW, if you win, that's $100,000 in AUD, not USD.
Both are wrong, it is actually MON (Monopoly) :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Tough grid, but nice Aha! click. The cat has departed and is outside hunting lizards.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

No cat here. Thanks, Chris.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

The cat has been debagged. Agree with Meg -- tough grid, but gettable. Thanks Chris!
Matthew
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Challenging grid for me but nevertheless --
Off the board... or maybe it's on the board... or...whatever..
Untitledzzcheck.png
Thank you, Chris!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

A catless bag. Thanks, Chris!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Cat is out. I need an explanation for one thing, though.
Heidi
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

i think i have a start, but don’t know what to do with it. Anybody available for nudging?

UPDATE: Have someone nudging me (thanks @benchen71 but still floundering. (He’s a tapper not a shover ;) )

Waiting for those published nudges…

UPDATE AGAIN: Solved. That was way easier than I was making it. I was sniffing in the right vicinity though! OTC
Last edited by HeadinHome on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, end of the first day and this is playing harder than anticipated:

1 benchen71
2 Hector
3 Meg
4 boharr
5 MatthewL
6 whimsy
7 Sharkicicles
8 ChrisKochmanski
9 LauraM
10 heidi
11 Gutman

Eleven solvers...there may have to be early nudges depending on the "before 4" crowd tomorrow. Since it is Chris's puzzle I will leave that up to him.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Cat has been checked out of the bag with some satisfaction!
markhr

Post by markhr »

A bit slow on the uptake, but I finally de-bagged the cat.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Kinda surprised at the low number of solvers so far, but I think this might be one of those SAD ones. I found it to be relatively, ah, e-wordish, but I think you either see it right away or you don't.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, day two an still not a lot of action:
12 Flora Wynn
13 Tyrpmom
14 andeux
15 Berto
16 markhr
17 HeadinHome
18 sharkicicles
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, then some nudges....

The Title, The Title, The Title...what is it telling you to look for?

Clue 1A was intended to be a "foothold". It probably would have been better if we had not had the "you" at the end
hoover

Post by hoover »

I think week 3 must be my limit. I've had to get nudged on everything this week.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

With the help of nudge #2, the cat is now out of the bag for me...thanks Chris!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The cat it out. Got it with the nudges.

The most fun part of this meta was reading the comments on Crosshare! Some great stuff there.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!