"One Is The Loneliest Number" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"One Is The Loneliest Number" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Apparently, Harry Nilsson was inspired to write "One Is The Loneliest Number", not as the result of a painful breakup, but because he made a phone call and got a busy signal. The "beep beep beep" caught his attention and so he incorporated a similar sound into the opening piano chords of his song. Fast-forward to today and this song title inspired me to create this meta! The answer to the meta is a 6 letter word, which might not be all that specific but I promise that there's an additional hint waiting for you in the puzzle itself.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

One Is The Loneliest Number - Online Form
One Is The Loneliest Number - PUZ
One Is The Loneliest Number - PDF
One Is The Loneliest Number - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Crossed the moat! Thanks, Ben, for another great puzzle!
woozy

Post by woozy »

So many loose oddities, so few big things smacking one in the face...
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Very nice!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

Good one!
boharr

Post by boharr »

I have swum across. Thanks.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: De-moated. Fantastic aha! moment - thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Clippety-clopped across the drawbridge. I thought too much on this one!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
JBern71

Post by JBern71 »

I believe the actor in 19A spelled his name with two T's. Perhaps the "California Dreaming" Mama would have worked better.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

JBern71 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:31 pm I believe the actor in 19A spelled his name with two T's. Perhaps the "California Dreaming" Mama would have worked better.
Apologies for the inaccuracy. It is unrelated to the meta.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Crossed the MOAT and thank goodness, because I was starting to feel so alone. Fun puzzle Ben, nice challenge and fun AHA!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

I just now downloaded the PDF and will work on it tomorrow morning. But TY for the nod to Harry Nilsson and maybe you can use a few of his songs for future inspiration. ("Jump Into the Fire" and "Coconut" are two of his major hits that were popular here in the U.S. And I hear that Fire-roasted Coconuts are quite delicious)
Seattle DB
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

dsbened wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:21 pm I just now downloaded the PDF and will work on it tomorrow morning. But TY for the nod to Harry Nilsson and maybe you can use a few of his songs for future inspiration. ("Jump Into the Fire" and "Coconut" are two of his major hits that were popular here in the U.S. And I hear that Fire-roasted Coconuts are quite delicious)
I worry about those of you solving using the PDF. I don't always feel my grids/clues are as easy as they should be, so I take consolation from the fact that electronic solvers (using the PUZ or Crosshare) can reveal a letter, word or even the entire puzzle if they want to confirm the grid before embarking on solving the meta. Best of luck to you, though! :)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the moat after trying to make this much harder than it was.
Cindy Heisler
evensteven

Post by evensteven »

Ben - Tried this puzzle today. [REDACTED]
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

benchen71 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:25 pm
dsbened wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:21 pm I just now downloaded the PDF and will work on it tomorrow morning. But TY for the nod to Harry Nilsson and maybe you can use a few of his songs for future inspiration. ("Jump Into the Fire" and "Coconut" are two of his major hits that were popular here in the U.S. And I hear that Fire-roasted Coconuts are quite delicious)
I worry about those of you solving using the PDF. I don't always feel my grids/clues are as easy as they should be, so I take consolation from the fact that electronic solvers (using the PUZ or Crosshare) can reveal a letter, word or even the entire puzzle if they want to confirm the grid before embarking on solving the meta. Best of luck to you, though! :)
I almost always solve using the PDF screen-printed to Paint (so I can erase, used colors, etc.) — then I fill in the grid on Crosshare to submit. This one has me stumped! I filled the grid easily enough, entered that finished grid into Crosshare (hoping that filling it out again might make me see something I had overlooked?). Nada. I have 4 things that are clearly part of something, but no way to make a 6-letter word. Halllp! (anyone want to throw me a nudge?)

UPDATE - took what I had and tried thinking more creatively… got it!
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here we are at the end of the first 24 hours, and here's who has solved so far:

Laura M
merlinnimue
kurtalert
Hector
markhr
KayW
Sharkicicles
ChrisKochmanski
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
boharr
DrTom
Golem
CPJohnson
Berto
Cindy Heisler
HeadinHome
woozy
Tyrpmom

That's 19 to get us started. We are very definitely in "week 3" territory with this puzzle!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, with help from Ben.
Cynthia
KayW

Post by KayW »

evensteven wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:50 pm Ben - Tried this puzzle today. [REDACTED]
Good morning and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry I had to edit your post, but specific information regarding puzzle solutions should not be posted publicly while the puzzle is still active, to avoid spoilers for those that haven't solved yet. You can send a private message with questions or comments like that directly to the constructor, or to anyone else who has posted here that they have solved.

I sent you a PM with an answer to your question - please feel free to follow up with any other questions.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed, but no one seems to be home. Thanks Ben!
Matthew