"Cold Open" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Cold Open" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? "Scrubs" was neither the first nor the last TV show to utilise a cold open, but in my opinion they perfected the genre. (And if you're a fan of "The Office", please, no hate! Their cold opens were also excellent, especially the one where Dwight organises an all-too-real fire drill.) Anyway, see if you can find the answer to the meta which in this case is a six letter word.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Cold Open - Online Form
Cold Open - PUZ
Cold Open - PDF
Cold Open - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Crossed the cold open water in the MOAT!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Moat crossed. Nice one, Ben.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Nice one - thanks Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Crossed the moat!

Enjoyed this refreshing puzzle today (you will see why).

Happy fourth, USofA!
The other Wendy. :roll:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dang. This has been my week for seeing nothing. I've gotten them all but the initial seeing nothing is ... cold.

This one's nothing is strong and lasting a long time.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

"Cold Opening" suggested opening a cold one, not a bad idea when it's 86° out there. Or I could just stay in the AC and do other puzzles now that I've crossed the moat.
Jay
boharr

Post by boharr »

Moat crossed.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:56 am "Cold Opening" suggested opening a cold one, not a bad idea when it's 86° out there. Or I could just stay in the AC and do other puzzles now that I've crossed the moat.
86! So you are having a cold snap! Right now it is 94 here with a heat index (i.e. feels like) 111. NOT a day to celebrate outdoors. I'd take a cold open for sure.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MOAT crossed from the comfort of my air conditioning. I know people lived in FL before A/C but either it was not as hot then or they were MUCH heartier than I am. I believe this is a good day to sit, solve and sip. Nice MOAT Ben, thank you.
Melting.gif
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Crossed the moat! Thanks, Ben!
Cynthia
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

woozy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:28 am Dang. This has been my week for seeing nothing. I've gotten them all but the initial seeing nothing is ... cold.

This one's nothing is strong and lasting a long time.
That was me last couple of weeks! Beginning to think I had lost all my meta mojo. It comes and it goes… keep plugging away!
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

24 hours in, and here's the first batch of solvers:

DJB
lbray53
kymike
KayW
HeadinHome
DrTom
Tim
Bird Lives
Hector
merlinnimue
Berto
boharr
Cindy Weatherman
Pair O Ducks
Meg
CPJohnson
LindaPRmaven
SJMcK
BarbaraK
Sharkicicles
Chris Kochmanski
woozy
Spid4567

That's 23 to get us started!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Well, fell into the moat initially, but eventually struggled across. Wouldn't say I stormed the castle, per se, but more knocked politely and asked for a towel. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
rjy

Post by rjy »

The trail went ... er ... cold in myriad rabbit holes, but after a LOT of staring, moat crossed, castle gently entered. Thanks, Ben!
Ray
ReB

Post by ReB »

Took a short breather, and then the way across the moat opened up.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Hey, look what's on the other side of the moat!
Untitledzzbeer.png
Thanks for helping us beat the heat, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A few more solvers to add to the list:

Laura M
DIS
MatthewL
rjy
ReB
whimsy
jbird

That gets us to 30. I think it might be worth-while bringing forward the nudges...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The title is the only hint you get, although the fact that you're told the answer is 6 letters long may be helpful.

2. There are 6 symmetrically-placed long entries in the grid; that must be significant, right? Yes, it is!

3. You need to do something to the long entries to give them a "cold" opening.

4. Add one letter to some of the starting letters (the number of letters will vary) to form a "cold"-related word.

5. WINTRON is such a weird entry! You could take the first 5 letters of this entry and form WINTER by adding an E but that isn't quite right. What other letter could you add to "WINTR" to make a "cold"-related word? Why, I'm sure you will work it out! :D