MEOW #134 Outer System

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

MEOW #134 Outer System

Post by benchen71 »

Surprise! This is part two of a two-part benchen71 meta extravaganza! If you've done part one then you may know what to expect. That said, the metanism is different, even if the prompt regarding the meta answer is the same: you're looking for the next in the system.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Outer System - Online Form
Outer System - PUZ
Outer System - PDF
Outer System - spreadsheet

Kitten
Calico
Persian
Puma
Lion

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.
Last edited by benchen71 on Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Cute! I like the reference to my former employer at 22D.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cat free.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

woozy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:08 am Cute! I like the reference to my former employer at 22D.
That's the forgotten system these days...
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat has been loosed.
Matthew
ReB

Post by ReB »

Cat has wiggled out of the bag and says 5A.
PuzNewbie

Post by PuzNewbie »

Oh dear, more benchen71! I came to the Wed meta to help take my mind off of the Tues meta! :lol: Still trying to figure out what to do with those asterisks...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Bag is catless.

Thanks, Ben!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledcatclaw.png
--and the bag!

Thanks, Ben!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Well, the bag is empty, but I'm still trying to figure out just how that cat got free!
hoover

Post by hoover »

PuzNewbie wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:06 pm Oh dear, more benchen71! I came to the Wed meta to help take my mind off of the Tues meta! :lol: Still trying to figure out what to do with those asterisks...
That's funny. I finished the Tuesday meta yesterday, came here and saw that the Wednesday is related, and now I'm missing the asterisks!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Cat out but looks confused.

Again, google and guessing got me there, but this time (unlike the last one) I don’t see the actual mechanism even in retrospect, though I see something else noteworthy (but why?).
The other Wendy. :roll:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Debagged. Guessing the answer made it easier to find the mechanism, but still a fun puzzle.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

This puzzle had my head orbiting in space, but eventually I figured out the first part of the meta. As for the second part, I'm totally lost in space...
Seattle DB
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Solved with help. I have a nit to pick though.

As I was submitting the correct answer it was also the answer on the double jeopardy board on a recorded Jeopardy show we were watching. My wife was impressed that I knew the answer but a little concerned with how excited I got. She understood when I explained what happened.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: :cat:

Why did the cat cross the MOAT? Because the chicken had a laser pointer.

Far out, man! Thanks for a double dose of fun this week.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Clever twofer Ben, liked them both, even if I was way too blind to see the mechanism for the MEOW as easily as I saw it for the MOAT. Great job on both, and congrats on what must have been a murderous fill.
Meow Moat.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Debagged the feline… enjoyed the pair, Ben, fun concept, well-executed!
Ray
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We have 25 solvers who have successfully debagged the cat!

woozy
Mg305
boharr
Pair O Ducks
JM
Meg
Tyrpmom
MatthewL
Hector
ReB
whimsy
ChrisKochmanski
Jaclyn
Darrell
HeadinHome
BarbaraK
heidi
witchmina
Golem
KayW
lbray53
hhg
SeamusOL
rjy
DrTom
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hoover

Post by hoover »

Kept Googling and guessing on Crosshare until I hit the right next thing. That was unsatisfying, so now I'll try to backsolve.