June 11, 2023 "On That Note" (META)

Puzzles from one of the best in the business which include themed crosswords and metas.
Sunday Crossword by Evan Birnholz
Washington Post Sunday puzzle reveals.
hcbirker

June 11, 2023 "On That Note" (META)

Post by hcbirker »

On That Note

The answer to this week’s meta puzzle is a rock song whose chorus you might sing after you solve the puzzle.
Heidi
woozy

Post by woozy »

And the Xword Rabbit was just talking about 129A ....
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Got it, fun one Evan, with some chuckles along the way (9D two-goat two-stoat boat)
Ray
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I think I know what I need to do, but I haven't been able to get that tune in my head yet.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Fun one, as always.
woozy

Post by woozy »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:16 am I think I know what I need to do, but I haven't been able to get that tune in my head yet.
I was going to say that this requires as knowledge/skill some people just don't have. But the actual choice of the meta make this very simple. I'll just say the chosen answer to the meta is the perfect choice of an answer.
Stinky Pinkies!

KayW

Post by KayW »

Fun one! And the answer turned out to be my initial WAG based on the prompt.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I got it, but without going into detail I think there's something I'm missing. I'll look at the reveal later.
Great puzzle!

Edit: I read the reveal with the extra elegance I couldn't figure out offhand explained, and my son who has a bit more of an understanding in certain matters explained it to me further. Very impressive - thanks!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I'm like ky-mike. Was able to virtually play what I believe the tune probably is, but it's not ringing any bells. I know there are apps for that, but my husband, with his smart phone, and Siri (let's just call us a little menage a trois :P) aren't available at the moment.
ebirnholz

Post by ebirnholz »

woozy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:54 am
ky-mike wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:16 am I think I know what I need to do, but I haven't been able to get that tune in my head yet.
I was going to say that this requires as knowledge/skill some people just don't have. But the actual choice of the meta make this very simple. I'll just say the chosen answer to the meta is the perfect choice of an answer.
Just to clarify for anyone who's concerned: You don't need that knowledge/skill to solve the meta.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

You don't need that skill at all. Just read the title. Fun one Evan! Great construction as always!
Heidi
Meg

Post by Meg »

When I was 13, I went to summer music camp and learned 129a. Had a crush on a tuba player from Iowa, and tried pot for the first time. My cabin mate smuggled it in hidden in her clarinet case. Ah, memories! Nice puzzle Evan!
I just realized the added elegance of this meta. Pretty cool, Evan.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Meg wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:27 pm When I was 13, I went to summer music camp and learned 129a. Had a crush on a tuba player from Iowa, and tried pot for the first time. My cabin mate smuggled it in hidden in her clarinet case. Ah, memories! Nice puzzle Evan!
I just realized the added elegance of this meta. Pretty cool, Evan.
Sex, drugs, and rock and roll? :lol:
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Abide

Post by Abide »

Thanks for the nudge Evan. I spent a little longer on virtualpiano.net than I care to admit.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
woozy

Post by woozy »

Whoa.... on that note I had the utterly *wrong* answer all along!

Which is both incredibly clever and brilliantly crafted and... well, kinda totally unfair as the misdirection is a thoroughly valid answer as well. Isn't it. Or... am I misdoing my skill (which I've never been good at). The two songs aren't.... well, the could be.

Off to google and/or get an object out of the basement.

(Argh... Power of suggestion and a tendency to overhear the harmonics that aren't actually sounded. A music professor once commented I could sing better than I could hear and she thought that was very odd....)
Abide wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:29 pm Thanks for the nudge Evan. I spent a little longer on virtualpiano.net than I care to admit.
Whoa! I was *totally* off. This was not as clever as I thought.... wow. Just ignore everything I said to anyone.
Stinky Pinkies!

lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I too spent time on virtualpiano which I had not known existed. So, there is that. I was relieved to get the nudge that it was not necessary to use it. But I was actually a little disappointed. I was so close to "hearing" a song. Maybe we will see a puzzle like that in the future!?!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Abide

Post by Abide »

lbray53 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:37 pm I too spent time on virtualpiano which I had not known existed. So, there is that. I was relieved to get the nudge that it was not necessary to use it. But I was actually a little disappointed. I was so close to "hearing" a song. Maybe we will see a puzzle like that in the future!?!
There is a song, and it is that song. But you need to go down instead of up. Even then, it is hard to recognize since virtualpiano plays everything in quarter-notes.
—Brian MacDonald
KayW

Post by KayW »

Yep. I heard it. Even on my badly out-of-tune piano. Very cool!

And just learned here about virtualpiano.net - that could come in very handy. Thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Abide wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:49 pm
lbray53 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:37 pm I too spent time on virtualpiano which I had not known existed. So, there is that. I was relieved to get the nudge that it was not necessary to use it. But I was actually a little disappointed. I was so close to "hearing" a song. Maybe we will see a puzzle like that in the future!?!
There is a song, and it is that song. But you need to go down instead of up. Even then, it is hard to recognize since virtualpiano plays everything in quarter-notes.
That is awesome! Nobody tell my music teacher sister that I could not figure this out!!!!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Got it. Fun!