Happy Anniversary!

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Clark E. Tripe

Happy Anniversary!

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

Good morning, Muggles! My name is Clark E. Tripe, longtime lurker and first-time poster. I hail from the sleepy town of Linux Habitation, CA (home of the “Mismatched 3 of Clubs Museum”), where I operate a rubber duck and Mountain Dew concession for the town’s many Linux coders.

First, a little about me. When I’m not working, I spend up to three hours a day standing buttons on end, and I’m a regular presence at barbecue chicken events, hoping to add to my charcoal collection. I once entered a blindfolded Mah Jongg tournament, which I believed I could have won if I hadn’t gotten into an accident on the way to the event (Note to self: next year, don’t put the blindfold on until I get to the tournament. Whoops!). And I was once arrested for trying to alphabetize all the street signs in Linux Habitation (which locals call “Linux Habitatio” for short).

Anyway, one day when my buttons fell over during a .112 magnitude earthquake, I decided that maybe it was time for another hobby, and one that came to mind was writing crossword puzzles. After a series of rejections from the usual outfits – New York Times (“the number of clues should equal the number of grid entries”), Washington Post (“Shouldn’t there be some white squares in the grid?”), Highlights Magazine (“This puzzle insults the intelligence of our readers”) and McDonald’s (“Sir, this is a fast-food franchise”) – I finally decided to submit to the Muggles Forum.

I went through every meta from the beginning of the forum in 2019, and after reviewing thousands of clues, grids, comments and meta mechanisms (hey, has anyone ever thought of calling them ‘metanisms’? Hmmm?), I finally felt like I was ready to create one of my own. I contacted MMM test solvers @Abide, @Al Sisti and @Cap'n Rick, and after several rounds of suggestions, erasures, and a complete rework of all the clues and entries, they ultimately accepted my puzzle, after my check for what they called an “Initiation Fee” cleared.

So, my new fellow Muggles, here at long last is my debut puzzle, called “Happy Anniversary!” I’m looking for a 7-letter word. Enjoy!

Happy Anniversary! Crosshare

Happy Anniversary! PUZ

Happy Anniversary! PDF

Happy Anniversary! spreadsheet

(Note: If you enjoy solving on Crosshare, help keep the site running by donating a few bucks.)

Nudges are here.
Reveal is here.
Last edited by Clark E. Tripe on Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a paper tape guy in a punch card world"
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
Very amusing. Has it been that long? Thanks for the puzzle guys.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Off the couch.

A nice clean debut. Congratulations.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Off the couch. Enjoyed the puzzle.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Off the couch. Congratulations on your Muggle debut.
Cindy Heisler
boharr

Post by boharr »

Off the couch. What a fantastic debut! I won't say it's REDACTED. And I won't say it's REDACTED. I loved the clues, especially REDACTED, REDACTED, (Oxford comma not a spoiler) and REDACTED. Surely Brain can create an extra day for us here because we surely need more TRIPE.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Off the couch to start the day. Nice first puzzle "Clark".
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

OTC!

But wait. Monday’s test solvers are Peter, Al, and the Cap’n? All this time I assumed they were Larry, Moe, and Curley,

Heheheheh.

Just teasing, fellows. Fun start to the puzzling week!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Solved. Thanks for the puzzle and the amusingly awesome introduction. (Especially "Sir, this is a fast-food franchise", BWAHAHAHA!)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

OTC. Nice debut meta; hope to see more!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Off the couch. I wont ASK about the 20A of Clark or whoever, but I did find some fingerprints that CSI is working on as we speak.
Jay
MMe

Post by MMe »

"Clark E. Tripe," huh?! Are you not, in point of fact, none other than . . . ERRATIC KELP?

...PICKLE RATER, maybe?...
Darth

Post by Darth »

OTC. Good one, Tripe! This is a keeper! 8-)
dana.jpg
Abide

Post by Abide »

An obvious up-and-coming talent, but check the calendar for May 22.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Off the couch. Fun one - - well done!
Last edited by cbarbee002 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch.
Matthew
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Mike's students when Mike keeps talking about polynomials:

Test solvers, where'd you find this guy? He might have a future in this!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
rjy

Post by rjy »

Off the couch... got caught in a few rabbit holes, but saw clear to the finish line. Thoroughly enjoyed the puzzle and especially the write-up, Mr Tripe!
Ray
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Off the couch! Nice debut!
Heidi
ajk

Post by ajk »

Hah, stumped for longer than I should have been, but got there. Nice debut indeed, and bonus points for the Crosshare header image.
If a bridge player is caught using a mismatched 3 of clubs does that require a trick repeal? ;)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer