"One Short" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"One Short" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Here's another meta idea that came from attempting to solve someone else's meta. But if they didn't use this mechanism, then it's fair game! The answer to the meta is a three word phrase that describes what it might take to find the answer to the meta.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

One Short - Online Form
One Short - PUZ
One Short - PDF
One Short - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
markhr

Post by markhr »

Solved. Quite a clever one from Ben.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Solved! Thanks Ben.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

Fun puzzle, Ben. Thanks!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Yikes!! That was almost gnarly. I’ve clip-clopped across and am sorely in need of some mead.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Castle stormed... after missing the obvious! :lol:
key under a rock.jpg
[Thanks, Ben! Awesome meta!]
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Fun one Ben!
Heidi
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I know what it absolutely has to be.

I just don't know what it actually is.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Crossed the MOAT! I really liked this one. Very unique to me at least. I wonder if changing one clue might have increased the challenge without making it impossible.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We are still an hour away from the end of the first 24 hours, but here's the first batch of successful solvers:

kieranjboyd
Laura M
markhr
Jim Dean
Hector
ChrisKochmanski
Meg
boharr
Darth
heidi
Carolyn
Darrell
lbray53

Lucky number 13! Based on these stats I will probably release the nudges earlier than usual. But not just yet!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Yes, please! Need nudges!😂
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle:
Yes indeed that was required to solve. (Along with a few nudges.) But I looked at it fresh today and it all clicked. Thanks Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Finally got it, but needed confirmation that I was digging (and digging and digging) in the right spot. Clever construction, Ben
Ray
ajk

Post by ajk »

Feel like I know what to do but can't quite get it all to work.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update (we're up to 17 now) before early nudges:

Golem
Alex Sisti
DIS
KayW
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The clue is in 43 down: COLUMN, clued as "One of 14 in this puzzle, which is odd because there are 15 rows".

2. You need to add a column, thereby creating a square (hinted at by 1 across).

3. It makes sense to add this column right down the middle (splitting the existing puzzle in half), so as to retain rotational symmetry.

4. You will also need two black squares so that you end up with a three word phrase.

5. Try and find letters that fit into this new column, always creating (crossword-suitable) words.

6. The middle word is AND. (This will also help you place the two black squares!)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I had assumed the first 5 nudges but there are DOZENS of options. If there was a key to determine which I missed it. I'll try nudge 6 though....

EDIT: Oh.... It was *supposed* to be that way.... well, at least you were honest about it...
Last edited by woozy on Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat has been crossed. Turns out I didn't need the nudges -- was on the right track, but the nudges did confirm that for me and to just keep poking at it.
Matthew
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Clues pushed me over the goal line. Nicely done Ben!