"Best Intentions" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Best Intentions" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? I put this puzzle together while being treated for kidney stones - yikes, those little things are painful! So it is possible that this one won't hang together as well as you might expect. So with that caveat, jump in and see if you can solve the meta by discovering a two-word movie title.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Best Intentions - Online Form
Best Intentions - PUZ
Best Intentions - PDF
Best Intentions - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

Though note that I’ve posted a question for you, Ben, with my Crosshare submission.

Thanks!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:03 am Crossed! Stormed!

Though note that I’ve posted a question for you, Ben, with my Crosshare submission.

Thanks!
I've replied to your question. However, it might not show up immediately given Crosshare's caching issue.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the moat! Good start to a gloomy Tuesday! Thanks, Ben.
Cindy Heisler
Meg

Post by Meg »

I herded some sheep across the drawbridge. One fell in the moat, but my trusty Australian shepherd rescued him.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Solved. Fun one, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Darth

Post by Darth »

DeMOATed! Thanks, Ben! Awesome construction even while dealing with those kidney stones! :(
Last edited by Darth on Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat has been crossed. Very clever. Thanks Ben!
Matthew
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Between this puzzle and the MMM it is apparent to me that I do not watch enough movies. I am still "Missing Something" despite my"Best Intentions".
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
KayW

Post by KayW »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:59 pm Between this puzzle and the MMM it is apparent to me that I do not watch enough movies. I am still "Missing Something" despite my"Best Intentions".
Well said. Me too!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Managed to get by this vicious creature --

best castle.png

What's not to like? A favorite of mine, excellent film location, and hey, ducks!

Thanks for a fun puzzle, Ben!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:59 pm Between this puzzle and the MMM it is apparent to me that I do not watch enough movies. I am still "Missing Something" despite my"Best Intentions".
Oh I'm sure you've all heard of the MMM puzzle. Like, 100% sure.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Crossed the MOAT...thanks Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

There's still just over an hour until the end of the first 24 hours, but here's the state of play as it stands currently:

ChrisKochmanski
SeamusOL
woozy
Cindy Heisler
Pair O Ducks
Alex Sisti
Meg
DIS
boharr
markhr
CPJohnson
ajk
Tyrpmom
ChrisCross
Carolyn
Darth
MatthewL
Hector
Ergcat
whimsy
Bbaack
Cindy Weatherman
Dave C
Qmark
Gutman

That's 25 to get us started!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Finally made it across the MOAT!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's Friday morning here in Oz, so that means nudges! But first a solver update:

Laura M
frostyjhammer
Johnny Luau
Golem
lbray53
Sharkicicles
heidi
BarbaraK

We're up to 33 now.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The clue for 41 across points to the title: "Planet with a moon whose name looks like a number, both of which are found in this puzzle's title."

2. The moon in question is IO. What number does that look like?

3. The main clue is the puzzle's title, but read in a certain way.

4. You're looking for "best in ten"tions.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Nudged across the moat. Clever! Thanks, Ben. I hope creating the meta provided a distraction from your treatment.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ReB

Post by ReB »

First nudge almost immediately vaulted me over the moat to a safe landing.