Instant Replay

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Cap'n Rick

Instant Replay

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Ref review banner.jpg

Ahoy Muggles!

Happy New Year! I hope 2023 brings you peace, happiness, and plenty of challenging new metas. And speaking of "New" metas, it was one year ago this month that I created my first meta - "New Beginnings". The initial version was a bit rough, but @Abide and @Al Sisti were great mentors who helped me get it ready for my MMM debut. In addition to marking my 1-year anniversary, today's puzzle by my good friend and guest constructor "Carri Kelly" ;) is a tribute to the 5th anniversary of another significant event that I'm sure many of you will remember.

The meta answer is a two-word exclamation.

"Instant Replay" - Crosshare

"Instant Replay" - PUZ

"Instant Replay" - PDF

"Instant Replay" - Spreadsheet

(NOTE: If you enjoy solving on Crosshare, help keep the site running by donating a few bucks).

Difficulty

If you recall the event from 5 years ago:
Gentle Ripple.JPG

If you do not recall the event from 5 years ago:
A Bit Choppy.JPG

Nudges are here.
Solution is here.

Good luck!
Cap'n Rick

PSU logo.jpg
Go Lions!
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Meg

Post by Meg »

Certainly recalling the event sent me whirling down some interesting rabbit holes. Well done, Rick!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp: Very clever, Carri!

And a very Happy Anniversary, Rick! Thanks for all the wonderful puzzles and looking forward to many more!

I believe paper is the traditional First Anniversary gift?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Solved.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Had to back solve for a few of these. Nice work Carrie/Rick. Made me laugh!
Heidi
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Off the couch! As I was several times five years ago.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Off the couch as well. Confirmed on crosshare.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I rise from the couch, megaphone in hand, yelling "Gimme an R" or should it be "Gimme a C." Whoever the constructor is, they deserve a cheer, especially since they weren't around here till nearly three years after the date in question.
Jay
Darth

Post by Darth »

OTC. Go Lions! :o
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

I think I'm off the couch, but unsure. I guess we'll see.

Edited to add: It appears that I am. Didn't appreciate the full import of the meta, but the good Captain clued me in. Great puzzle, and Happy New Year!
Matthew
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Wasn't there to "celebrate" the original anniversary but I loved the call back to the event. Thanks for the fun puzzle on the last day of vacation!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, well that was fun and mildly retro! Any of us old timers immediately know what we were supposed to do, even if not how. Congrats to Carri and her mentor.

This afternoon, what to do what to do. As a Pennsylvanian (and attendee of a college with a non notable FB team) LONG time PSU fan. However, I am a proud degree holder from the University of Utah. So I'd be Lion if I said this was not Uteilizing a lot of my time debating. I think the best course for me is to simply be a Solomonic fan and say:

Solomonic Fan.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

OTC. Five years ago ??? My, my....how time flies !! Excellent start to the new year. Thanks, Carri and Capn Rick
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Off the couch! Liked this one! Thanks Carri and Cap’n!!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Very tricky for me, but I was assisted to the answer. The couch is vacated!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Delightful puzzle, Cap’n and Carri! Wish I had the same shared history as my Muggle Elders, but grateful for the scribes that share the stories!
Ray
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Thanks for the puzzle, Cap'n and Carrie! Off the couch, with an observation from a fellow muggle. I remember the event; this was a great tribute. (Had to backsolve for 1 letter.)
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:50 pm OK, well that was fun and mildly retro! Any of us old timers immediately know what we were supposed to do, even if not how. Congrats to Carri and her mentor.

This afternoon, what to do what to do. As a Pennsylvanian (and attendee of a college with a non notable FB team) LONG time PSU fan. However, I am a proud degree holder from the University of Utah. So I'd be Lion if I said this was not Uteilizing a lot of my time debating. I think the best course for me is to simply be a Solomonic fan and say:

Solomonic Fan.jpg
@DrTom I hope that you went with your long time allegiance and not your proud degree
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Super puzzle, Carri Kelly! Thanks!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!