"Jolly Old St. Nick" December 23, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

"Jolly Old St. Nick" December 23, 2022

Post by Bob cruise director »

This week's contest is titled "Jolly Old St. Nick by Mike Shenk

The answer to this week's contest is a word associated with Santa.

Remember that while the contest closes on 11:59PM Sunday Dec 25, the solution will not be posted on the WSJ site until late Monday December 26. And the WSJ will not notify the winner until Tuesday December 27. So hope will spring eternally for another 24 hours.

However the normal discussion will occur here after the contest has closed. And the rabbit is hopping for lots of great rabbit holes that muggles will be exploring humorously.

Jolly Old St Nick spreadsheet
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Hello Friends! YES, it is I, Wendy Walker, committing an unapologetic Page One Encroachment. The reason for this blatant hypocrisy? I have the pleasure of announcing a Muggle-created puzzle, “Monumental Moderation,” that’s dedicated to our six Forum moderators, Peter Abide, Bob Harris, Brian MacDonald (Webmaster), Joe Ross, Bob Stevens (Cruise Director), and Kay Whitman.

Here’s the official intro from Cap’n Rick, who did a great job masterminding this group effort.
Ahoy Muggles!

We have a special treat for you today! I recently invited 11 of your favorite meta constructors to collaborate on a special tribute puzzle honoring the hard-working Moderators of the "XWord Muggles Forum". The end result is a big honkin' 23x23 grid with 184 grid entries and tons of awesome theme material. And with a puzzle this large created by 12 constructors from around the world, we couldn't stop at just one meta answer. No, no, no, we had to include a second mechanism with a second meta answer as an added bonus. So, sharpen your pencils, grab your highlighters, and block out the entire holiday weekend to tackle our collaborative offering. And remember not to overthink it, because sometimes the answers are hidden in plain sight.

I'd like to thank all of the creative constructors who joined me in this "Monumental" effort: @Al Sisti, @AnswerPfinder, @benchen71, @BirdLives, @cbarbee002, @DrTom, @MarkWoychick, @MikeyG, @Schmeel, @Wendy Walker, and @whimsy. Henceforth, you can call us the "QWERTY Dozen".

The first meta answer is a 9-letter word that you can confirm on Crosshare.
The second meta answer is a two-word phrase consisting of 11 letters that you can confirm via PM.

"
Crosshare: viewtopic.php?p=115303#p115303
PDF: puzzles/20221225-Many%20Muggle%20Meta%2 ... ration.pdf

Good luck, and Happy Holidays!
Cap'n Rick
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:01 pm Hello Friends! YES, it is I, Wendy Walker, committing an unapologetic Page One Encroachment. The reason for this blatant hypocrisy? I have the pleasure of announcing a Muggle-created puzzle, “Monumental Moderation,” that’s dedicated to our six Forum moderators, Peter Abide, Bob Harris, Brian MacDonald (Webmaster), Joe Ross, Bob Stevens (Cruise Director), and Kay Whitman.

Here’s the official intro from Cap’n Rick, who did a great job masterminding this group effort.
Ahoy Muggles!

We have a special treat for you today! I recently invited 11 of your favorite meta constructors to collaborate on a special tribute puzzle honoring the hard-working Moderators of the "XWord Muggles Forum". The end result is a big honkin' 23x23 grid with 184 grid entries and tons of awesome theme material. And with a puzzle this large created by 12 constructors from around the world, we couldn't stop at just one meta answer. No, no, no, we had to include a second mechanism with a second meta answer as an added bonus. So, sharpen your pencils, grab your highlighters, and block out the entire holiday weekend to tackle our collaborative offering. And remember not to overthink it, because sometimes the answers are hidden in plain sight.

I'd like to thank all of the creative constructors who joined me in this "Monumental" effort: @Al Sisti, @AnswerPfinder, @benchen71, @BirdLives, @cbarbee002, @DrTom, @MarkWoychick, @MikeyG, @Schmeel, @Wendy Walker, and @whimsy. Henceforth, you can call us the "QWERTY Dozen".

The second meta answer is a two-word phrase consisting of 11 letters that you can confirm via PM.

"Monumental Moderation" - Crosshare

"Monumental Moderation" - PDF
Cap'n Rick
We need links!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:03 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:01 pm Hello Friends! YES, it is I, Wendy Walker, committing an unapologetic Page One Encroachment. The reason for this blatant hypocrisy? I have the pleasure of announcing a Muggle-created puzzle, “Monumental Moderation,” that’s dedicated to our six Forum moderators, Peter Abide, Bob Harris, Brian MacDonald (Webmaster), Joe Ross, Bob Stevens (Cruise Director), and Kay Whitman.

Ahoy Muggles!

"Monumental Moderation" - Crosshare

"Monumental Moderation" - PDF
Cap'n Rick
We need links! And maybe a separate thread.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Thanks, Wendy! Here's the link -> "Monumental Moderation"
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledmoderation.png
Once you finish the WSJ, head on over to Monumental Moderation and heft a few with the gang!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:desert_island: :tropical_drink: Ashore. (With what I feel is a POE - Publicity Opulence Encroachment)

Now back to that MONUMENTAL meta!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Great I need a new puzzle to work on because I'm getting nowhere with this one... :oops:

:25 edit-- now I get it. Nice SAD one!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ashore! Merry Xmas All! I'll have a spiked eggnog, please.
Matthew
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Ashore, fun one to begin the holidays!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

On shore. Fun!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

On the beach!
And I highly recommend the MONUMENTAL MODERATION META!
Last edited by benchen71 on Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

On the Beach with the Boys, run running with the reindeer. 🎅

Ahhhhhh
Oooooooo
Merry Christmas Saint Nick
Christmas comes this time each year
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

On shore! Merry Christmas!
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

on the beach!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

And I'm on the shore with Santa! But he tells me I have to go play him for a few hours, apparently!

Definitely check out that meta as well - @Cap'n Rick herded us cats, and it was an absolute delight!

Mikey G
Last edited by MikeyG on Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
pipster

Post by pipster »

Ashore and (maybe) on page 1?
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖

Happy Holidays to all!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

On the beach! Merry Christmas to all!