"The City & the City" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"The City & the City" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? "The City & the City" (by 38 across) is a brilliant mind-melting weird-fiction detective/police-procedural novel. (It was also made into a BBC TV series, which while decent, paled in comparison.) Such a book deserves a similarly mind-melting meta! I think the major challenge here will be completing the grid; the meta should follow on pretty quickly after that. The answer you are looking for is a fictional city. Good luck!

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

The City & the City - Online Form
The City & the City - PUZ
The City & the City - PDF
The City & the City - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Across the moat! Fun puzzle, Ben!

EDIT: I love that author, by the way. I think I've read everything he's published.
Last edited by edestlin on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I went clippety-clop with my coconut shells across the bridge and over the moat.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Not gonna happen. Thanks for the puzzle though.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I made it across ... and confirmed my safe arrival through the magic of Crosshare. Thanks, Ben!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Crossed the Moat and the Moat...
unnamed.jpg
rjy

Post by rjy »

Meg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:25 am I went clippety-clop with my coconut shells across the bridge and over the moat.
Look at you, all clippety-clopping merrily over the bridge! I had to dog-paddle the moat amongst the alligators, snakes and eels. Lost a couple of limbs, so for me it was more of a politely-ring-the-doorbell-of rather than storm the castle.
Ray
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I've managed to cross the moat. Tough grid, but fun puzzle. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Crossed the Moat...Challenging fill, loved the mechanism...and thanks for the introduction to what looks to be a very interesting novel, Ben...will definitely check it out.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

Hi Benchen:
I'm curious. Do your puzzles increase in difficulty as the month goes on like Matt Gaffney? Or is the level of difficulty just random? Thanks.
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
hoover

Post by hoover »

Crossed the moat! Agree about the challenging fill. One square I had to keep guessing different vowels until one stuck. Nicely themed meta, though.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Made it across but to me it felt a little trepidatious for some reason --
Untitledtroll.png
Thanks for the challenge, Ben!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

The moat has been crossed! ( confirmed on Crosshare).
Tough grid…but pretty clear path to the answer once I fixed a few letters! Thank you, Ben
Meg

Post by Meg »

rjy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:22 am
Meg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:25 am I went clippety-clop with my coconut shells across the bridge and over the moat.
Look at you, all clippety-clopping merrily over the bridge! I had to dog-paddle the moat amongst the alligators, snakes and eels. Lost a couple of limbs, so for me it was more of a politely-ring-the-doorbell-of rather than storm the castle.
I was clippety-clopping with medieval merriment because I had made it through that grid. Almost lost an arm, but it was just a scratch.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Solved. Admit that there was so much in the grid I didn't know that I gave up eventually and just revealed stuff. But that's about me, not the grid. And the meta was fun, thx.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Here I am, thinking about hard metas that I am working on, and I get an idea. I am so excited. I think that I have just figured out the path to the Gaffney meta. Alas, it was Ben's meta (no offense, Ben, it was a great meta to solve).

Solved (confirmed via crosshare). Now back to MGWCC (for which I have no idea how to proceed).
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :tornado: :european_castle: Thanks Ben! I will add the book to my list.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Well, I’m across the moat.
Last edited by SJMcK on Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steven McKinney
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DavyGravy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:25 pm Hi Benchen:
I'm curious. Do your puzzles increase in difficulty as the month goes on like Matt Gaffney? Or is the level of difficulty just random? Thanks.
I try follow the MGWCC pattern. So "The City & the City" is definitely a week 4. That said, I don't think my "week 4" metas get quite as hard as some of Matt's have been recently. Then again it is always tricky for the constructor to judge difficulty, and I rarely get mine play-tested.
Last edited by benchen71 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

So here are the brave souls who have successfully navigated their way to the fictional city hidden in this meta puzzle:

kieranjboyd
Laura M
Cindy Weatherman
Hector
Meg
Tom Wilson
edestlin
boharr
Darth
rjy
Cindy Heisler
Qmark
hoover
whimsy
Ergcat
ajk
kymike
KayW
SJMcK
Andrew Bradburn
woozy
Tyrpmom

That's 22 so far.