MGWCC #741 - “Time Travel”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #741 - “Time Travel”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #741 — Friday, August 12th, 2022 — “Time Travel”

It’s nice to be back, but in my fanboying over the Nediger last week I forgot to thank all six guest constructors. It was indeed an impressive Guest Constructor Month, so my thanks once again to Richard Allen, Malaika Handa, Will Pfadenhauer, Yossi Fendel, Brooke Husic, and Will Nediger for an extremely impressive series of metas. We’ll do it again next year and see if the 2023 crew can meet the high bar set this time around!

ANDREW RIES’ TWISTS & TURNS PUZZLE PACK:

The ever-inventive Andrew Ries writes to announce a new compilation of his Twists & Turns puzzles. The pack consists of 16 puzzles of varied sizes and even includes a few themed puzzles. Check them out here:

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer is a country where I’d like to spend four months.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?: MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page. A subscription costs $3/month.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Hopefully in top ten beam...

edit: nope, #16, but I solved the grid ;)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Hmmm.... Have the grid completed with the exception of one single square, which is giving me minor fits. (Perhaps I have something else wrong that's causing my dilemma? Who knows?) Those of you who have solved obviously figured out the piece I'm stuck on.

So while I "get" the idea, I can't quite beam up without resolving it. Even though it seems as though I could theoretically extrapolate with what I have.

Need more coffee. And the manual for the transporter, for that one switch that's stuck....
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, that was different.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

OMG this is driving me nuts. I figured out (I think) the same thing @HunterX was stuck on (I was too), but still I can't figure out the next step... and I've tried several tacks. This is a week 2??

Also, I'll be ready for a quick powwow whenever anyone wants to... I think I am dancing all around the launch pad.

Updating to say, I have beamed up. Silly me for not playing this like a week 2… there just seemed to be so much more work to do than necessary. This is an excellent, tight puzzle. Genius, really. Thanks to @Joe for steering me back from the brink.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Stuck at same place as HunterX and HeadinHome, and probably countless others. As it is a week two, there is probably just one aha click separating us from completion.

EDIT: I was right, the aha came, and will beam up shortly.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I have no idea of the square Hunter is talking about but I had a clue that was an issue. I think I figured out the why of the clue but not the wherefore. I have several *strong* ideas but utterly *no* mechanisms to get them to do anything.

EDIT: Oh, I know what square everyone is talking about.
Last edited by woozy on Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky Pinkies!

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

68. Joe Ross 08/12 - 13:22, but I created the fine-tuned reveal within the PDF, in addition to solving the grid. ;) @Abide

BEAMED.

woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh, I got it! I think.... or a real miss.

I'd say more but... I can't. But I think those who have an idea but just can't make it work... you can make the idea work.

Unless I am dead wrong.

EDIT: #86.... Kinda down there but I've been lower.
Last edited by woozy on Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky Pinkies!

MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Beam me up! Due to summer travel and various life “stuff” it’s been a while - nice to be solving on the same day it’s released for a change :-)
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Joe

Post by Joe »

I think I've got it? Time will tell.

EDIT: Beamed aboard.
Last edited by Joe on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed up, #94! Late start but made the top 100.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Awaiting beamage; I think I've got it....after hitting submit I think I figured out what that one square referred to by Hunter & Headin is all about and it makes me think my odds of being right are higher than before...

Edit: Even #100....like I just won at Chutes & Ladders or something...
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Fun trip
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I too was stuck for a while on THAT SQUARE. I solved on the way to a luncheon meeting ... thank goodness, as the finance committee report I gave was a lot more cheerfully presented than it would have been otherwise.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Have that same square issue... Editing... I had an answer but I think it is wrong and now I have a couple 🙄... Will think on them a while longer.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, I solved….eventually, but now I have to go back and figure out what THAT SQUARE is.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:14 pm I too was stuck for a while on THAT SQUARE. I solved on the way to a luncheon meeting ... thank goodness, as the finance committee report I gave was a lot more cheerfully presented than it would have been otherwise.
WW: Revenues were up 4% quarter over quarter due to seasonality, but down from last year's second quarter due to increased.... Wait.... THAT'S IT! That @#$% square... Uh, where was I... expenses even... cash shortfall... the embezzlement thing... yada yada yada... it's in my report. Contact me Monday if you have questions. OUTTA HERE!