MEOW #81 Pent-Up Emotions

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #81 Pent-Up Emotions

Post by DrTom »

Once again when it rains it purrs!

I have the honor of both the MMM and MEOW this week. Hopefully neither are a CATastrophe! Speaking of cats….
Cats are sedentary of course, but they do not like being confined. The grid will reveal some behaviors that tell you when your feline is not fine. See if you can find the answer which reveals one final, fulfilling furry function.

Posted hints on Saturday, individual nudges (though it is unlikely they will be needed) if PMed, and “boasting list” kept as usual.

Pent-Up Emotions - PUZ

Pent-Up Emotions - PDF

Pent-Up Emotions - spreadsheet
Cat-receiving-therapy meow.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

The feline has gotten loose

Steven McKinney
woozy

Post by woozy »

Not only is the cat still in the bag but:

Why do I put myself through this?

(Comic reproduced without permission [God bless "fair use"] from Shaenon Garrity's and Jeffery Welles' sadly soon to end comic: Skin Horse)
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

I believe I’ve debagged the kitty - will update when I know for sure

Edit: confirmed - thanks for the puzzle, @DrTom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Darth

Post by Darth »

The frustrated furball frantically fled... and is now looking for an "emotional support human" :lol:
rjy

Post by rjy »

“The answer to the meta is very revealing”

…ain’t revealing itself to me!
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow! Well either this one is playing a lot harder than I thought, or everyone is still having a Devil of a time, or you are saving yourself for the WSJ tomorrow, or....

At any rate, 4 people have gotten emotional on me so far:

1 SJMcK
2 Mme
3 MarkWoychick
4 Darth

If I missed someone let me know.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

The feline is free!
Another clever puzzle, Tom!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

rjy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:25 pm “The answer to the meta is very revealing”

…ain’t revealing itself to me!
Me neither....
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Several weeks ago, I test solved this one as well as DrTom's MMM from the other day. (Just didn't want anyone thinking I was ignoring two such fine specimens of puzzles! :lol: )
Did them again this time around so I'd be "in the loop," and In both instances, it's somewhat embarrassing to admit, I was stymied for a significant amount of time! (Even fell in the same rabbit holes!)

Capturesmalloops.PNG
boharr

Post by boharr »

The kitty has abandoned the couch.
Meg

Post by Meg »

The cat has run screaming out of the bag and out of the house, thanks to a fellow Muggle who told me how to find the small tear in the bag.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Well, I finally got it, but only by practically being grabbed by the lapels and pointed directly to the method by other Muggles. I can’t really claim to have solved this one. Why was I so dense about it? Grr!!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I’m still stumped.
Cynthia
rjy

Post by rjy »

CPJohnson wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:19 pm I’m still stumped.
Ditto… had a Meggle confirm my rabbit-hole, but that’s not gotten me any closer. Still avoiding outright nudges… been staring at this way too long and foolishly think I can still figure it out.
Ray
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Kit's skedaddled.
Thanks for the puzzle!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Good morning Muggles. Gosh, I am really surprised that folks are having such a hard time, I was sure this was the typical DrTom softball. Only 4 more people have joined the ranks of the free (unbagged) since Wednesday:

5 boharr
6 meg
7 ChrisKochmanski
8 Schmeel

Alrighty then, lets go with early nudges since people will now have those other two distractions (WSJ and MGWCC) to contend with. :D

CAT CLUES (in order of increasing "escapeness")

I know, I know, this is ALWAYS the “nudge” but REALLY the title is the key when used with the theme clues/answers (which are pretty clear)

What do you notice about ALL the theme answers? I mean one or two that way OK, but ALL of them?

I could have named it “Ate Up Their Time” but I would have needed MUCH longer theme answers
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm STILL stumped.
Cynthia
woozy

Post by woozy »

This is one of those puzzles were all the titles, clues and themers point to a specific mechanism except... it just doesn't work and there is nothing there....
I guess I should change my signature, and start promoting this meta: Hungry Little Creature. I was going to sent it to people for testing but I dropped the ball on it.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I’m trying. But, I got nuthin’
Konnie