MEOW #74: Dude, Where's My Carb?

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Solved!
Awaiting confirmation.
:ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
KayW

Post by KayW »

Cat is finally freed, but it took some extra-remedial nudging. Thanks, Josh!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:

Four themers related to both driving and polysaccharides. Per the hint, you had to look "PAST A" in those themers. The initial letters of the corresponding entries spelled out "CRASH" - like a sugar crash, or a car crash.

Ok didn't quite play out as well as I had expected. But tomorrow's puzzle by Tom is seriously one of the best I've seen so please give it a go.
Attachments
carb.PNG
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

After the nudge about looking at the intersecting words, I got stuck with the male names intersecting the themers: RAY (in 5 down), JIM (in 40 across), NERO in (67 across) and HAN (in 60 down). I knew there was a "carb" theme going on, but there was also that "Dude" aspect to the title! I just couldn't see past it.

That said, taking two letters from 1 themer was a tricky thing to do!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MMe

Post by MMe »

I really liked the automobile/sweets mash-up, including the meta answer