"Back and Forth" - February 18, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

"Back and Forth" - February 18, 2022

Post by Bob cruise director »

This week's contest is titled Back and Forth" by Patrick Berry

The answer to this week's contest is a ten-letter word.

Good luck with the grid and the meta

WSJCC Back and Forth spreadsheet

And congratulations to Al Sisti on being the Grand Marshall of the Utica New York (AEIOUY) St. Patrick's Day Parade.

And he is not just a pretty face. Here is the writeup in the Utica paper. A very well deserved honor

Alex Sisti, described as a key figure in the opening of the Irish Cultural Center of the Mohawk Valley, was announced as the parade's next grand marshal Saturday. But he almost didn't accept the position.
"After they told me, I spent the next few days trying to convince them that it shouldn't be me," he recounted in an announcement released Saturday. "I finally wrote them that I would accept it if it was still offered."
Besides his work with the Irish Cultural Center, Sisti also served as a committee member of the Great American Irish Festival from its inception, even chairing trash-pickup.
"Al, through his efforts, has given back to our area in many ways, especially for our Irish community,"former Grand Marshal Patrick Costello said in the announcement. "In fact, it would be hard to think of any Irish initiative in the past 20 years that Al did not have a role in."
Other roles Sisti has had in the Mohawk Valley's Irish-American community include recording secretary of Ancient Order of Hibernians from 2007 to 2010, a member of Irish culture organization Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, and co-founding the Mohawk Valley Irish Cultural Events Newsletter, event organizers said.
As a local musician, Sisti has also promoted Irish music with performances with The Blarney Rebel Band. He has also had stints with Justice McBride Band, Puttin’ on the Ritz, Les Brers and King Kool and his Royal Blues, organizers said.
Attachments
Al Sisti2.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Just once in my lifetime, I wanted to appear on Page 1. Would be nice if I had actually done the puzzle already and had an answer! The farthest I am is having printed it out. The weird thing is that when I went to that page, the message on it read:

"Hint: The answer to this week’s contest crossword is a major world city. See the complete guide to the crossword contest here."

But that's not what the puzzle says where it's looking for a ten-letter word. Hmm. Trying to confuse us???

Anyway, have a great meta, Muggles.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

On shore!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

🏖️ Ashore.
Last edited by C=64 on Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

On shore!! Page 1, woo hoo! Beer me.
Matthew
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Safely ashore… might I trouble someone for a Guinness?
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ashore. Love me some Patrick Berry. Great fun!!!

Stay well all
stmv

Post by stmv »

on shore, a nice one from Patrick Berry
Darth

Post by Darth »

On Naboo. Making fast tracks in the sand after puzzling over the names of galactic cities and then changing course. A Vichy water for me. 8-)
Last edited by Darth on Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

The PDF version says the answer is "a ten letter word." The electronic version says it is a "major world city."
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore. Great fun!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tropical_drink: :desert_island: On shore.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

On shore.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Georgeall wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:19 pm The PDF version says the answer is "a ten letter word." The electronic version says it is a "major world city."
"Ten-letter word" is correct.

On shore & toasting Al with the mate of the Guinness I've given him. Sláinte mhaith!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Fun one. Ashore!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Guinness me. Congratulations Al, that’s quite the honor.
Last edited by oldjudge on Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

On shore, a fun and quick solve!

Also, now that I am safely on Page 1 I will add how lucky we are to have such amazing puzzle creators. I am constantly amazed at the creativity and cleverness on display here.
Last edited by Jace54 on Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docison

Post by docison »

WSJ prompt for city confused me and sent me down quick Wikipedia rabbit hole. Still made page 1 thanks to a friend pointing out the inconsistency.
Last edited by docison on Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I’m solved! Page 1?