"Countdown" - July 8, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Washed ashore with an AHA! moment when I wasn't even staring at the grid. Clever meta as usual.
KaiS

Post by KaiS »

Stuck on the ship once again. I think I'm getting lost in the potentials and nothing is standing out to me. If anyone could offer just a hint of a nudge, maybe I can grab a raft ashore?
czeemuggle

Post by czeemuggle »

My hands had been clutched to the life preserver for so long that even after I finally let go, the impressions of my fingers continued in the hard plastic. I was grateful, deeply grateful, for the kind soul that had thrown it overboard after I was swept from the ship. Without it, I would never have made it … ashore.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

KaiS wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:48 pm If anyone could offer just a hint of a nudge, maybe I can grab a raft ashore?
Just about everyone in the group would be more that happy to give a nudge. Pick someone who has solved, PM him/her, introduce yourself, and say what you have done so far. You'll be happily impressed!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
steveb

Post by steveb »

Finally onshore, after about 7 previous attempts that went nowhere.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Richard wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:07 am Hanging out with Issac when with a nudge.

I know I am overthinking it but can't figure out how to unoverthink it.

Will keep starting at it.
The word you're seeking, I think, is "anitundisoverthink."
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

On shore! The grid was tough for me, but the meta was a pretty quick solve. We’ve now made it to Colombia where we are spending some time with my husband’s extended family at their farm. Here’s a picture of our dog, Cooper, surrounded by rows of coffee plants and plantain trees!
Attachments
DB98DB31-2D10-4441-98EA-1110F1964A9E.jpeg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ashore !!!!!

Finally.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore and submitted a couple days ago. The MMMM has diverted my attention and has me stumped.
This morning at our Coffeeteria, I tried to some help from members of our boot camp workout group to solve the MMMM. I told them to think of it as a boot camp workout for the mind. No luck though on figuring it out.

Thanks for posting the nice photos of barred owls. A week ago, our boot camp workout was interrupted by a large hawk or eagle catching a very surprised sparrow under the branches of a tree about 15 feet away. For such a large bird, it's surprisingly agile. It happened so fast no one was able to get a photo.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Duh, duh, duh, duh, duh. How could I figure out all of that other stuff and miss the one thing?!

Oh shore enjoying a Bomb Pop sour - an awesome summer thirst quencher from the local microbrewery.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

On the beach thanks to a helpful nudge. Grateful just to be here and not staring at what had become a completely meaningless grid of letters.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I love how we can also talk about owls, birds, grandkids and water balloon fights. This forum is so great.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

FKelly wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:40 pm On shore and submitted a couple days ago. The MMMM has diverted my attention and has me stumped.
This morning at our Coffeeteria, I tried to some help from members of our boot camp workout group to solve the MMMM. I told them to think of it as a boot camp workout for the mind. No luck though on figuring it out.

Thanks for posting the nice photos of barred owls. A week ago, our boot camp workout was interrupted by a large hawk or eagle catching a very surprised sparrow under the branches of a tree about 15 feet away. For such a large bird, it's surprisingly agile. It happened so fast no one was able to get a photo.
Most likely a Cooper's hawk based on your description. And you are right, how agile and quick they are.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Well, that was quite the (coincidental?) rabbit hole.

I'm on shore though.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

On shore!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

With Isaac at the bar. Watching the Yankees continue their abuse of Bob's Red Sox.

I'll take the occasional upper hand.

Well, except with the meta...
Rufus T. Firefly
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore.
I finished the grid and quickly solved the meta at MSP airport between flights this morning.
I’m happy to report that our multiple connecting flights over the past week were all on time, no delays, missed connections, lost luggage, and most important, no cancelations!!! I hope all the muggles who have upcoming travel are treated as well as we were by the airlines!
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore! Stealing lyrics from Aaron Neville,

“I don't know much
But I know I love [to overthink these metas]
And that may be
All I need to know”

Good health and good cheer to you all,
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:15 pm And we have something more of a challenge from Mr. Shenk. We have 21 on the ship enjoying Isaac's company and 112 on the shore
I was going to say that you missed me, but I went back and couldn't find my post. So count me on shore.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

My Barred Owl contribution-- from the wildlife hospital that I volunteer at.
Screenshot_20220709-230743_Facebook.jpg