"To Boldly Go" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Anita

Post by Anita »

We think we're across the moat. [EDIT: Confirmed]
Last edited by Anita on Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're up to 43 now:

Yash Pujara
minghinshi
bkaszas
Cindy Heisler
Jen S
Bbaack
ajk
Gutman
Anita
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed!

Fun coming home from days away to a relatively easy, yet very fun MOAT. Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Up to 47:

BarbaraK
I K Snamhcok
Phil The
AaronT

Nudges imminent!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The nudges are later than usual, since I got distracted by the MGWCC, which is proving totally inscrutable.

Here they are, better late than never, and as always in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The meta hint tells you to only look at the three long entries, no matter how many interesting rabbit holes you find elsewhere to explore!

2. What is common between all three?

3. The puzzle title also contains a subtle hint: a split infinitive.

4. You may also need to think like a cryptic crossword solver. If that doesn't help, there are also lots of additional thematic hints in the grid and the clues!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Before the answer reveal, I have one additional solver to add to the list:

swagdude

That brings the total to 48.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

So here it is, the answer to "To Boldly Go":

To Boldly Go (solution).png

Lot's of thematically-related content in this puzzle: entries and clues, and a split infinitive in the title as a very subtle hint. Hope you enjoyed it!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I got it on the second try. I could not submit ANY answer had I not tried "Final Frontier" first. I mean, what would James T. think of me if I did not stay true to his two word location with a Meta that begins "To Boldly Go!"

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!

That aside, cute Meta.

Tom
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!