"Three-Pointers" - January 7, 2022 (MMXXII)

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:40 pm
NDStegs wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:13 pm My husband and I would appreciate a nudge. I'm so bad at waiting patiently for Monday. :)
PM someone with what you have done
Will do.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:02 am Good Sunday morning.

Our report today is a couple of hours early as I will be out much of the day

We welcome our newest muggle - skidly

And we have 28 on the ship and 103 on the shore

Enjoying the big screens on the ship and Isaac's company are:
Katiedid
Ergcat
regfish
minimuggle
caroline
otlaolap
Scott M
TeamDoubleTow
Shirley
ALS

Bob, I am also part of the ship's contingent unless inspiration strikes soon.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Just made it to the ship! Finished the grid. Hi all!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore last night but forgot to post. Tough grid, fun meta.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Firmly ensconced on a stool in a dark corner of Isaac’s bar. I see one possible way into this meta but it doesn’t go anywhere. I’m sure it doesn’t help that B-ball has never interested me.
rolias

Post by rolias »

Dog paddled all weekend but now lapping it up at the tiki bar.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Is there a nudge available? Please?
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Would also welcome a nudge - happy to share what (little) I have so far.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:12 pm Making my report while I still have internet--I am at sea both figuratively and literally. I haven't had a lot of time, but haven't even found a rabbit hole to WANDER through. I grew up a Hoosier so it's not like basketball hasn't been my thING. I'm at a totAL loss do far. Sitting at the ship's BAr watching the peaks and TROughs of the waves. I will continue to preSS on.
@LadyBird - Since you grew up in Indiana, you must know where the term "hoosier" came from. I learned this from my father when they lived in Franklin but @DrTom will concur.

Before they because a state, Indiana was the frontier complete with bars and bar fights. And they were rough fights complete with pulling of guns and knives. So there were stabbings and not infrequently one combatant would cut off a finger or and ear of their opponent. Ears were the most common because they were easy to cut off.

At the end of the fight, the bartender would stand up with the cut off parts and shout "Who's Ear?" And the title stuck.

And to quote Paul Harvey "now you know the rest of the story"
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our final count for the week is 36 on the ship and 122 on the shore. Good luck to all who got this without being dragged to shore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

??
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:57 pm??
!!
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

At sea, once again
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

On shore after last call. Well done, Mike!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Haven't been here in a while. Decided to try again last week and then this week but got nowhere. I didn't really try very hard, though. Last week, I figured was going to need some TV knowledge so I skipped it and then this week is sports...great. So I didn't put much effort in again. Yeah, not doing too well on these. I really used to be able to solve the metas...I even let myself believe I was fairly good at them. Well, I've changed my mind.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Jeffrey wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:00 pm Dear Mike,

Nice grid and excellent metanism. Am a fan of the logic.
Please pass along my best to Steph Curry at your next Michelangelos-R-Us meetup.

See ya next week.
Love the new word: "metanism"
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

What's that saying -- It's not over till the fat lady sings?
Well, I think I hear someone practicing her scales....
Capturehelga.PNG
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

I could use a nudge. Wifey and I have looked at this puzzle every way and can’t even find a solid launching point.

Edit: Got a nudge and got to shore! Now time to enjoy the rest of the Pinot.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:48 pm
@LadyBird - Since you grew up in Indiana, you must know where the term came from. I learned this from my father when they lived in Franklin but @DrTom will concur.

Before they because a state, Indiana was the frontier complete with bars and bar fights. And they were rough fights complete with pulling of guns and knives. So there were stabbings and not infrequently one combatant would cut off a finger or and ear of their opponent. Ears were the most common because they were easy to cut off.

At the end of the fight, the bartender would stand up with the cut off parts and shout "Who's Ear?" And the title stuck.

And to quote Paul Harvey "now you know the rest of the story"
Colorful to be sure, but the way I heard it.....

There were bars involved to be sure but it was where all the locals hung out to discuss the games. As the discussions, whether positive or negative, wore on and the drinks flowed like water over the White River falls, the patrons would sometimes miss their appointed times to return home. Inevitably a non-plussed spouse would call the bar and loudly ask, "Is my husband at that bar!". Ever the diplomat, the bartended would cover the mouthpiece and shout out "Who's here!" - so Paul Harvey, to quote West Side Story (which my dear wife had me watch with her this afternoon) "Smoke on your pipe and put that in!"
stl_hoosier.jpg

DISCLAIMER
(The facts have been changed, hell entirely made up, to protect the innocent or at least get them to chuckle)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Jeanrosz wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:26 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:12 pm Making my report while I still have internet--I am at sea both figuratively and literally. I haven't had a lot of time, but haven't even found a rabbit hole to WANDER through. I grew up a Hoosier so it's not like basketball hasn't been my thING. I'm at a totAL loss do far. Sitting at the ship's BAr watching the peaks and TROughs of the waves. I will continue to preSS on.
20220108_112729_capture.jpg

View of the Southern Ocean on the way to South Georgia and then Antarctica!
Where in indiana? I’m originally from Gary!
...and now a song is stuck in my mind - dang Music Man
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!