"Looking Up Down Under" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
woozy

Post by woozy »

markhr wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:40 am After the flurry of spoilers, I did get it. I had that as a possible answer, but was not clear how to get there.
One of the hints seems inconsistent with the rest of the puzzle, but maybe that will be cleared up on Monday.
What ben is calling "theme answers" are different than clues that contain "up" "down" "under". The letter in question only occurs in words containing "up" "down" "under". It doesn't in general occur in the "theme answers". (except for 21 A which is the only theme clue containing "up" "down" or "under")
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're up to 10 solvers now!

woozy
Mwoychick
boharr
Darth
Hector
ChrisKochmanski
Golem
lbray53
markhr
dplass
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I think I’m seeing everything I’m supposed to see, except the actual answer. 😂
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Final list of solvers before the answer is released:

woozy
Mwoychick
boharr
Darth
Hector
ChrisKochmanski
Golem
lbray53
markhr
dplass
ryoustra
madhatter5
Byron
Carolyn

Well done, everyone!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

As I said in the introduction, there's a lot going on in this puzzle. But my intention (and yes, I know what the road to hell is paved with!) was that these would all be signposts to the answer which was right there in the grid. No need for any complicated meta mechanics...

Looking Up Down Under (solution).png

First, there were the "theme" entries: three across entries revolving around stars.

Second, there was the additional hint regarding the meta answer that it was "astronomic" (in line with the theme entries) as well as "so romantic". I just love that these are anagrams of each other!

Third, there were the clues containing "up", "down", and "under". Initially, there were only 5 of these (the down clues). My hope was that when your attention was drawn to these clues you would OBSERVE (9D) that these entries contained the only Os in the grid. It was later suggested that the across clues could be tweaked, so that they would then intersect with the down clues, drawing even more attention to the Os. This was a great suggestion, so that's why there was a mid-week revision.

Someone later noticed that these across and down entries form crosses of their own, thereby adding even more to the eventual answer, which was...

THE SOUTHERN CROSS

On Crosshare, I also accepted SOUTHERN CROSS and CRUX (which is its official name). The Southern Cross is, of course, featured on the Australian flag. It is also the first constellation a young Aussie kid is taught to recognise.

If you haven't yet checked out Fleurie's "Constellate", please do. Her Portals album is amazing, and she's got a new album coming out soon.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Well, I got the right answer but traveled an entirely different intergalactic route than Ben.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well I should have submitted that (southern cross). it’s what I was thinking. Also thought Australian Flag.
Also kept trying to anagram SAUTERNE somehow with AUSTR-something.
The other Wendy. :roll:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I got stuck in the anagram game too, because of 51D -- tried using all the letters where the themers and O words crossed. (Didn't work. :lol:)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I enjoyed this one, but needed the flag nudge for sure.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Was 19 across suppose to have an "up, down or under" in the clue ?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Yes, the edited version did, by way of "understandings".