"Backcourt Fundamentals" - April 30, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

SewYoung wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:21 pm
SReh26 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:02 pm
femullen wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:23 pm I propose a new rule for Mike Shenk and other puzzlemeisters: No TV/movie people or titles are allowed to cross. Can I get an "Amen!"

We have 4D, 26A, 29D, and 31A making a big hole right in the middle of the grid, so I can't get 37A, one of the theme answers.

>8^(

Update. Ok, I googled them, and well that I did: never in life have I seen or heard the word at 37A.

And the meta? I sure hope I don't need to know anything about backcourt fundamentals to get this. Those rank right up there with movies, TV, and 37A in my vast store of ignorance.

Mark me adrift, Cruise Director.
Agree on 37A.
I had heard of the gerund form of 37A but did not know that it was a real word. I thought it was a slang term for something that was very appetizing, in the vein of "Finger lickin' good!". If I have ever actually used that word, apparently I was using it wrong.
Kudos- it’s been decades since I’ve heard the word gerund! It has a good ring to it! :) :) :)
Freddy Law

Post by Freddy Law »

Made my way ashore. Nice meta today. :lol:
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

[/quote]
I had heard of the gerund form of 37A but did not know that it was a real word. I thought it was a slang term for something that was very appetizing, in the vein of "Finger lickin' good!". If I have ever actually used that word, apparently I was using it wrong.
[/quote]

The gerund form of 37A was part of a nickname of the NY Yankees’ Lou Gehrig — ******in’ Lou. It is the only use of the word I have ever encountered.
Jack Sullivan
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Apparently, hopefully, the shiny swirly decorations kept the murderous crows away from my baby doves, they look like they are ready to fledge.

BTW, my father used to call this the "peep show" 😊
Attachments
20210413_140832.jpg
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Baby doves
Attachments
Baby foves
Baby foves
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Safely ashore, after climbing out of a brutal rabbit hole. I'll be interested to see if others fell in the same hole!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Grid done. Meta? 😬 Working on it. I have a Hail Mary if all else fails for Sunday night. But I want that “Aha” feeling if at all possible.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I, like many others, over complicated this at the outset, being intimidated by the subject matter. But, even in spite of the fact that my husband - hearing me mutter out loud about the topic - kept making suggestions that threw me completely off - I am now confidently on shore. Whew. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
hoover

Post by hoover »

On the beach and ready to enjoy the weekend.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I meant to post this with this noon's status

Two things for new and old muggles

There are a wealth of hints for solving metas at viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49

also regarding nudges, here are some suggestions regarding when and how

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49

Also I notices a couple of comments from those struggling on how easy the meta is for some. Two thoughts

1) usually when people comment that the meta is easy and give it a one or two star, it means that the process is a single step or maybe a step and a half. Unfortunately if your knowledge base is not in the area of the contest, they may be large steps but if you find yourself in a convoluted mess, you probably are not going in the right direction.

2) I think that this is in the hints for solving - remember that on Monday, Mike Shenk has to put the answer in a very small space in the newspaper. If the path you are taking looks like it will take War and Peace to explain, you probably are not going in the right direction.

I will post this again tomorrow for those who have missed it.
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sun May 02, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:21 pm
ALS wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:57 pm I found some stuff I think I was supposed to find, but it's not leading me anywhere.

I may be drinking on the ship this week.

ALS
Feel like I'm in the same boat.
I suspect I went down the exact same wrong path. Feel free to PM me if you want a nudge out of the hole!
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

We are on shore! This week my son did most of the grid work but I had the meta insight. Fun times! Feels good to know we can spend the rainy weekend on the Saturday puzzle. One glass of wine and a sweet tea please!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Well, the last five letters of 60A sum up my solving (in)ability :?
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely on shore - I captained, for a change, and she rode in style..........life's good.

Luck to all......lobby for more mugs!! WSJ is demonstrating deep pockets and short arms here!
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done, after some struggling (including the aforementioned 37A), and done (but now, with some concerns, after reading some comments). Another rare visit here.

TFTXWD
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:18 pm Well, the last five letters of 60A sum up my solving (in)ability :?
Never mind! Right after I posted this, I noticed something. My husband expanded on it. And here I am (or we are) on shore!

A Kahlua and Cream nightcap, please.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

The kids and I are on shore.

Pretty easy meta, though not knowledge I had readily at hand. Still, grid gave us more trouble than meta.

No celebratory drink. Giving the old immune system a chance to rest up before shot #2 next week. Then we'll see how long my resolve to abstain afterwards lasts...
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On the shore! I was stumped but a fresh look got me there :)
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Grid was tough. Still searching for answer to meta which I thought would be solved by now based on topic (familiar to me) and other comments here. Might need to sleep on it. I bet I’m overthinking it.
haari

Post by haari »

ok, on shore... late night solve so i'll just have my CBD tea and sleep soundly tonight knowing i won't be chasing rabbits tomorrow... an even though it's a different league, go habs go!
an it harm none, do as thou wilt... :D :D :D