"Pre-Order Your Copy Now" - March 11, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Billy M wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:47 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:43 pm
jimmyd wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:32 pm Hey there, I’m a longtime MGWCC solver but just discovering the WSJ meta puzzles... 2 questions... Do I need a subscription and is there a leaderboard? Thanks!

Edit: answered, thanks! :D
There is no official leaderboard, but our Cruise Director, Bob, posts a list of all who have declared themselves “ashore” (solved). Doesn’t mean all are correct, just that they found an answer to submit.
The data analyst/excel lover :geek: in me was thinking recently that it'd be fun to create kind of an all time leaderboard showing those who reach the shore the soonest/most etc, but I'm also afraid that it could have the potential to alter the supportive and collaborative nature of this forum.
Exactly
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Ashore, after a toss-turn night that turned into a revelatory morning.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

jimmyd wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:32 pm Hey there, I’m a longtime MGWCC solver but just discovering the WSJ meta puzzles... 2 questions... Do I need a subscription and is there a leaderboard? Thanks!

There is no official leaderboard, but our Cruise Director, Bob, posts a list of all who have declared themselves “ashore” (solved). Doesn’t mean all are correct, just that they found an answer to submit.
The data analyst/excel lover :geek: in me was thinking recently that it'd be fun to create kind of an all time leaderboard showing those who reach the shore the soonest/most etc, but I'm also afraid that it could have the potential to alter the supportive and collaborative nature of this forum.
I agree. Both that it'd be fun, and that it could have the potential of which you speak. Imagine the gossip over who nudged whom!

"Nudge, nudge. Know what I mean? Say no more. A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat."

(Sorry, poetic(?) license on that last part.)
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Plymouthrock wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:22 am Pa stranden
Aquavit, please.
Hvor fantastiskt!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

We have tried to keep the statistics at an aggregate level. Because the declaration of being on shore or on the ship are totally informal, and because we want to keep this fun, we don't keep any individual statistics. I recognize each muggle the first time they post but that is all. Individuals keep their own statistics. And we want to encourage new meta muggles to learn so we encourage nudges.

For anyone who wants to compete at the highest level there are individual and team tournaments. For the rest of us, it is just fun.

By the way, for anyone who wants to create a meta puzzle, we have the Meta Muggle Monday that is always created by a muggle. If you are interested, send a PM to Al Sisti or Brian Mac and they can fill you in on the details.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

After bouncing around in the bilge of the ship all day, I have emerged and taken Joe Ross's transport to the shore.

p.s. My avatar this week is up in MaineMarge country (sort of as it is Lubec, Maine) Take a vacation there some time. It is beautiful
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Eric Porter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:47 pm With the discussion of a leaderboard, I often wonder why we don't have one yet.
Is there any other crossword contest which gets as many entries for each puzzle? Matt would probably let the WSJ team use the code from his site, not that it's too hard to write. I'd be interested to see the stats like MGWCC has.
We don't' do a leaderboard because declaration of being on shore is not verified and would mean that after the end of the contest, someone would have to go back and find out who was really on the shore vs being on a deserted island. Plus it would raise the seriousness of this contest and forum to a level that we don't want it to go to.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:54 pm
Eric Porter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:47 pm With the discussion of a leaderboard, I often wonder why we don't have one yet.
Is there any other crossword contest which gets as many entries for each puzzle? Matt would probably let the WSJ team use the code from his site, not that it's too hard to write. I'd be interested to see the stats like MGWCC has.
We don't' do a leaderboard because declaration of being on shore is not verified and would mean that after the end of the contest, someone would have to go back and find out who was really on the shore vs being on a deserted island. Plus it would raise the seriousness of this contest and forum to a level that we don't want it to go to.
Amen. Besides let's all remember who is doing all the work around here voluntarily.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Got first step right quick,
Haven't found the company,
Maybe tomorrow.
Did not even look at it until this morning. I spent a good part of Thursday at the museum office where I usually only go on Wednesdays and at Church where I go on Wednesday evening, so after I got home, I forgot that it was Thursday and did not think to look for the puzzle.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On the beach after a little side trip from trying to force 31 and 44 across.

Sorry Isaac. I'll catch you sometime in the future.

Still waiting for the Killer Klowns From Outer Space massacre puzzle to rear its ugly head.
Rufus T. Firefly
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore. Shamrock shake?
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Didn't get a chance to start it until tonight, but it was a relatively quick trip to shore.
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On shore here!
Joe

Post by Joe »

At long last! I think I've figured it out. I've missed (or haven't yet found) the elegance that others have mentioned, but I'm as sure as I can be that I'm on the right shore.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
TPS

Post by TPS »

C=64 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:18 pm
Plymouthrock wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:22 am Pa stranden
Aquavit, please.
Hvor fantastiskt!
I once drank all the Aquavit in Stavanger.
Olof

Post by Olof »

On shore. This one required a fair bit of noodling before it clicked, but satisfying when it did.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

It's late - but got it solved and on shore.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

I keep waiting for the week where we've all been lulled into a false sense of confidence in solving metas and then... BAM! It hits.
But, this week was not that week.

On shore!
steveb

Post by steveb »

On shore. I had to leave it and come back to it a couple of times before enlightenment struck.