"Poetic Justice" - February 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Ashore - sheesh, I sense in the coming weeks something wicked this way comes
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On an isle without a nudge, toes in the sand.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Certainly, I expect to see 4 unique meta triggers in February. If it gets too difficult, they may lose part of their audience along the way. For seasoned muggles, I expect to see challenging, but not dastardly difficult, puzzles.

Looking forward to the upcoming puzzles.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:31 pm Hello, fellow Muggles! I'm an Audience Interaction Producer at the Journal and I wanted to let you know about a project we're working on. The puzzles team is currently developing a how-to course that will slowly teach new puzzlers how to find the weekly contest's meta answer. All four of the contest puzzles from February will be included in that course, and that may be why this week's contest may seem a bit easier than usual for seasoned puzzle-contest fans. But don't worry, each week our editors will increase the contest's difficulty to ease new solvers into the world of contest puzzles. Good luck to you all and keep an eye out for the crossword contest course coming soon.
What a super idea! Thanks for letting us know.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well that didn’t take long enough .. so, a question: what OTHER meta (besides MGWCC) from this week does anyone recommend? I have time for one more.

Will sit here in the sand .. or maybe *I’ll trudge* on down the beach. 😂
The other Wendy. :roll:
TomAndDenise

Post by TomAndDenise »

Ashore --first time for a Thursday landing. Now what are we going to do this weekend?
Tom and Denise Greaves
North Andover, Massachusetts
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On shore early. Worried I missed something so I will wait a little bit to submit.
Hoping for a great game Sunday! Stay safe everyone!
:P
Joe

Post by Joe »

Gee, you mean I'm not the first to post???

On shore with what will likely be the largest beach party ever.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

On shore, probably, with an answer that draws directly from the puzzle and is certainly responsive to it. But it seems more than possible that the answer I have is designed, with foreknowledge and cleverness, to suggest itself and not be the real answer buried deeper, somewhere, in the puzzle. Given the number of fast solvers today I think it likely that the answer I have is the one many others have. But I wish there were more rigor in my work.

There was a post up above from the WSJ (#107 on Page 6) noting that they are deliberately simplifying things for a bit but will be ramping them back up by the end of the month. This too leads me to speculate that my answer may be the one that is wanted. But I'll wait a day and see how it tastes then before I submit.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Ashore. But I wonder if this wasn’t too easy, and there’s a devious trick lurking...
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

TNakagawaWSJ says yes it’s that easy. I think we can all relax.
The other Wendy. :roll:
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Step 1: Remember what day it is! Step 2: Try to get away from work for an hour at 4:00 p.m.

I just about completed Step 1, but then I was unable to complete Step 2. I finally got to the contest puzzle after an overdue trip to the grocery store and a cocktail. I'll say that I'm secure in my submission, so count me onshore. I'm already one Manhattan in, and maybe I'll defer any additional celebration until the weekend, which should begin in less than 24 hours.

Warm regards, everyone, from a still snowy if less frigid Greenwich Village!
sf592000

Post by sf592000 »

I believe I'm onshore for the second week in a row!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:50 pm Well that didn’t take long enough .. so, a question: what OTHER meta (besides MGWCC) from this week does anyone recommend? I have time for one more.

Will sit here in the sand .. or maybe *I’ll trudge* on down the beach. 😂
Did you try the Monday Muggle Meta or the MEOW meta? Look under “Other meta puzzles” on the board index.
Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

well, with an early release from Gaffney (another congrats for a healthy addition to the family) and with this softball thrown right down the middle of the plate (yes, I'm on the beach, digging this weekend's pit for the Superb Owl party that we'll have on Sunday), what to do, what to do?

Everyone stay safe, happy and distanced this weekend. No COVID outbreaks, none, nada, zip, nicht.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

TomAndDenise wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:50 pm Ashore --first time for a Thursday landing. Now what are we going to do this weekend?
Look at the Board Index for other meta puzzles. There are quite a few!
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:23 pm well, with an early release from Gaffney (another congrats for a healthy addition to the family) and with this softball thrown right down the middle of the plate (yes, I'm on the beach, digging this weekend's pit for the Superb Owl party that we'll have on Sunday), what to do, what to do?

Everyone stay safe, happy and distanced this weekend. No COVID outbreaks, none, nada, zip, nicht.
I love that show.
Heidi
ReB

Post by ReB »

TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:31 pm Hello, fellow Muggles! I'm an Audience Interaction Producer at the Journal and I wanted to let you know about a project we're working on. The puzzles team is currently developing a how-to course that will slowly teach new puzzlers how to find the weekly contest's meta answer. All four of the contest puzzles from February will be included in that course, and that may be why this week's contest may seem a bit easier than usual for seasoned puzzle-contest fans. But don't worry, each week our editors will increase the contest's difficulty to ease new solvers into the world of contest puzzles. Good luck to you all and keep an eye out for the crossword contest course coming soon.
I will take this advisory to heart and presume that I'm ashore as well - along with a great multitude that none can count?

I wonder if 10D contains a subtle hint. (PM me if you're ashore (and have submitted your answer) and want to discuss before Mon.)
Last edited by ReB on Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
LizD

Post by LizD »

My stages of meta solving today:

1. See title and clue to meta answer, think 'it can't be *that* simple.
2. Solve grid, come up with solid idea for contest answer, but withhold judgement.
3. Check forum to see if my friends are feeling the same way I am.
4. Friends feel the same, could we be Pageanted? Think I'll wait to submit.
5. See enlightening post from WSJ staffer and decide it's probably ok to submit.
6. Sit here questioning self and easy meta answer because of the PTSD of being Pageanted and too cynical to submit.
7. What am I supposed to do with the rest of my weekend??

🤔🤯🙄

Ok, fine. I'll submit. Ashore, me hearties. 🙃
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Solved but with the reservation others have voiced. I have seen the comment from the WSJ rep and that appears to address my concern over my answer this week.

I think it’s interesting that the WSJ is going to teach readers how to solve metas. I’m certainly no expert on metas, but a big part of the fun I have every week is in teasing out the answer for myself. That and reading the comments that are shared by and among fellow muggles.

I certainly hope that future metas retain the same range of content challenge as we currently enjoy.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman