"Endnotes" - January 22, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Scraps wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:51 am I'm back home after two weeks at scuba instructor school.

This puzzle initially challenged my underwater navigation skills, but I made it ashore using only about a half tank of air.
No morning cocktail for me today--I'm going spear fishing today, so the alcohol must wait until later.

I almost regret solving it because I had Inspector Reneault's "Serves me right for not being musical" excuse all ready to go:
Scuba instructor school? Spear fishing?

And I thought my life, spending all day in my apartment working for hours on end on my computer until darkness has descended and my fiancée and I, exhausted, log off, and scrape together a 10pm salad to eat before crashing, was an exciting life.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Late start (Forgot yesterday was Thursday). Done and done.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. I did not see the shortcut and got stuck at a certain point. Then the meta-neurons in my brain decided to activate and show me how to find the answer.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Dave C wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:30 pm Ashore and would love to have the Founders KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge, since I live in Michigan, but I'm in Texas for the winter and can't find it here...
I have to pick something up at the Menard's on Eureka Road in a bit...I'll run across the street to the Meijer and see if they have any...
TMart

Post by TMart »

As far as meta mechanisms go, this was one of the tightest and best executed ones I've ever seen. I can see where someone might be able to brute force it to pull out an answer, but I think the overall elegance of the solution gets lost that way. This one is as clean as they come.

I also enjoyed Mike's shout out to his alma mater at 1A!
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm I believe that some people who found the path to shore rough and inelegant may have taken a shortcut. Landed in the right place, but missed some of the sights along the way.
I am thinking of changing my avatar image to Rosie Ruiz (of 1980 Boston Marathon infamy)...
RosieRuiz.jpg
I sure did skip ahead and I was so excited to have a shot at being first to post that I didn't notice... the something people have been referring to.

I very much appreciate the (non-spoilery) comments here and via PM - it encouraged me to go back find the missing steps which vastly improve the elegance and brilliance of this meta! And while I'm relieved to find that the "cheater" answer I submitted is correct, I'm a tad sorry that it enabled me to not "stop and smell the Rosies".
Last edited by KayW on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I'm starting to think I "cheated" as well, or I'm just wrong... but if I'm wrong it's a hell of a coincidence!
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

Ashore!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

And I'm finally ashore. Was halfway there, and banging my head in frustration, and finally reached out for a slight nudge. Thanks BarbaraK for the subtlest of hints that allowed me to get the "Aha" moment. Very clever meta, and I'm kicking myself for not seeing it right away, given where I was.
Matthew
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

TMart wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:54 am As far as meta mechanisms go, this was one of the tightest and best executed ones I've ever seen. I can see where someone might be able to brute force it to pull out an answer, but I think the overall elegance of the solution gets lost that way. This one is as clean as they come.

I also enjoyed Mike's shout out to his alma mater at 1A!
So did I! As a Penn Stater in the mid- to late '70s, I fondly remember Mike's puzzles in The Daily Collegian. Should have known then that he was on his way to turning his gifts into a career. Unfortunately for me, merely singing his praises isn't enough to solve this musical meta. But the weekend is young!
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Wow! I liked this one even though I struggled. Good puzzle that kept me guessing at the next steps.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore after confirmation that my answer was correct even though I skipped over a final step (that I will continue to see if I can figure out!) Thanks to boharr for your help!
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:15 am I'm starting to think I "cheated" as well, or I'm just wrong... but if I'm wrong it's a hell of a coincidence!
I'm sure you did what I did and got the right answer, but when you see the actual solution you'll see you missed a step that makes the puzzle a little more elegant.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Started the day with breakfast and a puzzle re-look and got it!
On shore!
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Ashore. What a glorious puzzle. Beautifully made. Great pleasure.
tobivillanovi

Post by tobivillanovi »

Finally, those days of struggling in AP Music Theory paid off! Enjoy your weekend at the beach everyone!
Go Cats,
Tobi
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

On the ship.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Ashore!
Last edited by Grover on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

KayW wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:00 am
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm I believe that some people who found the path to shore rough and inelegant may have taken a shortcut. Landed in the right place, but missed some of the sights along the way.
I am thinking of changing my avatar image to Rosie Ruiz (of 1980 Boston Marathon infamy)...
RosieRuiz.jpg

I sure did skip ahead and I was so excited to have a shot at being first to post that I didn't notice... the something people have been referring to.

I very much appreciate the (non-spoilery) comments here and via PM - it encouraged me to go back find the missing steps which vastly improve the elegance and brilliance of this meta! And while I'm relieved to find that the "cheater" answer I submitted is correct, I'm a tad sorry that it enabled me to not "stop and smell the Rosies".
Ah, Rosie Ruiz... The joke was at the time that she got an endorsement deal with L'Eggs for a style of stockings that were guaranteed not to run.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I WOuld love to say that this tired old bODy has pulled herself to shore, but alas, I am paddling THRough murky waters. I'll just keep pUSHing my way through--I hope! I've got a 4 hour drive later today--so I may not get much reading done if I haven't solved this.

Since this meta has a musical flavor, I picked a bird that I love to hear when out on a birdwalk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcR6XrnD7Yc

It is probably my favorite birdsong. Although bobolink is a close second, but they are not very melodic--in fact, I have heard that they were the inspiration for R2D2.