"Heads and Tails " June 9, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:25 pm On shore as well. Woodford, neat please.
My hometown. Woodford County. Four or five farms from Woodford Reserve. But I’ll have a Hazy, breaking through the fog. This one was a tad trying.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I have had so many "...oh this has to be it" moments but unfortunately none of them are it. I get 4 of somehting and can't find the fifth, perhaps it is time for me to find the fifth and see if that improves my thinking? It is going ot be a long week-end because the exact same thing is happening with MGWCC. Rats!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Harbo

Post by Harbo »

Ashore. Had to let it stew overnight.
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore. While waiting for the Zoom call to start, the AHA moment came.
Acarl

Post by Acarl »

Thanks, Zoomers! I just heard one little hint, and the aha moment arrived. Great puzzle!
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Got a late start this week - have made it to shore after staring at some initial steps for awhile. As a reward, requesting something classy, maybe a good Pouilly-Fuisse to quench my thirst after 3 days of hellish smoke.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

We've got nothing.

Waving to y'all on the shore while we sit with Isaac. Encouraged by the many notes of "over thought things but then saw it" -- wish us luck on that front.

For those of you on the E. Coast experiencing the apocalyptic weather -- we in NorCal certainly relate from the awfulness of 2020 and hope it clears soon. :-(
Char

Post by Char »

Ashore after Zoom confirmed step 1.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On shore, thanks to the smart zoomers!
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

After treading water for far too long, the trusty Zoom crew led me safely to shore. And with some exciting unintended unmuted commentary this week! ;)

Have a great weekend, folks!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Great to see everyone on the zoom today! Thanks for coming. Sorry about the audio issues. It must have been the meta gods trying to interrupt our solving journey.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

Sometimes I make these too hard when the solution is easy (after I see it, of course). On the beach.
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

I've solved the grid the past 3 weeks, but among travel, work and family, I haven't had much time to spend with the meta. No success with Hail Marys, either.

Thanks to the Zoomers today for a critical clue to step one. I then dropped off the meeting, and it was a quick swim to step two, step three. Voila, sand! My toes had almost forgotten what the beach feels like.

Cabana boy, make it a dry red Veneto, please.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Bob, count me still AT SEA.
Last edited by EVJ on Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

Solved
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

31 Down wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:36 pm OFF TOPIC

Don't normally do the NYT early week but a friend recommended the Tuesday's (6/6) puzzle. It was a FANTASTIC construction. Think everyone here would appreciate it!
I usually do them beginning on Wednesdays. Have been too busy the past 2 weeks. Thanks for the tip!
Konnie
dho

Post by dho »

Thanks to the Friday Zoom Room Crew. It got us oriented in the correct direction and we solved, on shore. You all are always helpful and entertaining.

Don and Lisa
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Ashore with a bit of luck and not a lot of trouble.

Fun puzzle!

MaiTai for me please.

Aloha!
🌴🍹
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:24 pm I have had so many "...oh this has to be it" moments but unfortunately none of them are it. I get 4 of somehting and can't find the fifth, perhaps it is time for me to find the fifth and see if that improves my thinking? It is going ot be a long week-end because the exact same thing is happening with MGWCC. Rats!
I have confidence that you will prevail!
Konnie
chatger

Post by chatger »

Ashore! In the mood for a Old Fashoned, please.