"And Finally..." by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :tornado: :european_castle:

And finally.... I had a chance to look at this puzzle. Nicely done.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Time for a solver update:

rjy
Carolyn
Qmark
Dave C
DrTom
lbray53
ChrisKochmanski
KayW

... which brings us up to 36. Keep 'em coming: I can handle it!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Crossed the moat, finally, with a push from @Cinny. Why do I always try the hard things first?
Cynthia
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

CPJohnson wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 am Crossed the moat, finally, with a push from @Cinny. Why do I always try the hard things first?
I was just thinking, "Man alive, this looks brutal, I can't get a foothold." And then, "Oh, yeah, of course."

Great puzzle, Ben! That's my final word!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Four more solvers have made it through:

SJMcK
Lance
CPJohnson
Mikey G

Time for some handy-dandy nudges...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. Your only clue is the puzzle title.

2. Eight of the entries in this grid have a similarity.

3. Words with the letters AND are symmetrically placed in the grid.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

And finally, crossed the moat! Made it harder than necessary!
Another clever puzzle, Ben! Thanks!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged across the moat. I liked the grid and the meta was excellent. Thanks, Ben
ReB

Post by ReB »

Across the moat, but needed the third nudge to pull me out of the muck.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Looked at the nudges on Thursday and still didn't get it. Came back just now and got it instantly. :lol:
Good stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's Monday morning here in Oz, which means answer reveal time! But first, a final solver update:

Johnny Luau
Ergcat
jbird
Spid4567
Dow Jones
LindaPRmaven
ReB
PuzzleJohn
sw3aterCS
Sharkicicles
BarbaraK
frostyjhammer
ajk

That's a total of 53.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And finally... here's the solution to "And Finally...":

And Finally (solution).png

Don't forget to check out the new "Rejected (Non-meta) MOAT Pack" here. US$5 gets you 10 themed crosswords, most of which were rejected by one crossword publisher or another. Were those editors right to reject them? You be the judge!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Nice meta.

And I forgot to mention, I enjoyed the conjugation mini-theme.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)