"I Almost Gave Away The Ending" December 2, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Al Laubenstein

Post by Al Laubenstein »

Thanks for hosting, Don, and to all of the nudgers. Safely ashore.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore! And on the way to see Music Man in NYC!
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

Ashore! After chasing fuzzy rabbits all afternoon, the key, which had been sort of floating around in my periphery for a while, hit me, BAM! Guinness just won't due today. An IPA and some Jefferson Airplane heading my way.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:37 pm On shore! And on the way to see Music Man in NYC!
I've seen Music Man twice. It is the best show I have ever seen. ENJOY!!!!! He auctions items off at the end of the show for charity and the other night Nicole Kidman was in the audience and paid $100,000 for the hat he wears in the show. :)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

FKelly wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:29 pm On shore!
Relatively easy swim.
It might be fun to model the solving process as a Markov Chain:
A solver alternates between working on the meta and doing burpees to relax. Every minute, a solver decides what activity to engage in for the next minute . After a minute of puzzling, he/she will puzzle for another minute 75% of the time. After a minute of burpees, he/she will do burpees for another minute 50% of the time.
Unfortunately, both puzzling and doing burpees are risky businesses. When you do burpees for a minute, the probability you will bust your gut is 25%. On the other hand, puzzling for a minute will result in being brain fried with probability 5%. Either brain fried or gut busted is a medical condition that prohibits further activity. What fate will befall our intrepid solver in the long run?
Define the following states:
a: working on meta
b: doing burpees
c: brain fried
d: busted gut
We are given probabilities Paa = 0.75, Pbb = 0.50, Pac = 0.05, Pbd = 0.25, Pcc = 1 and Pdd = 1.
Queries:
What is the probability that the intrepid solver ends up eventually with a busted gut, as opposed to ending up brain fried?
How long will it take, on average before the solver is out of commission with either a busted gut or a fried brain?
I'm happy I understood most of this! Time to determine what the steady state is!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 94. Garden of Wildflowers
Relic

Post by Relic »

Barnhart6 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:23 pm I must be alone at sea....sheesh
I'm still at the bar, so you are not alone. I'll be here all night as I have some other things I need to do. This will have to wait until tomorrow.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Jackie J

Post by Jackie J »

I’m on shore. Time for a Bombay Sapphire martini to finish off a great day. I raise my glass to all my fellow Mugglers. Cheers to all
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

After a bit of a hiatus due to lack of cell service while camping, I’m back and on shore :)

Pictured: our favorite camping spot in Argentina!
Attachments
2B0151D3-D0C8-4A5D-9674-57BE92DF7496.jpeg
Colin

Post by Colin »

ship4u wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:23 pm
Time for an Old Speckled Hen, a nice British Ale that was named after an MG, my first sport car!
100% with you on the Old Speckled Hen, one of the best imports here in the US! Fair few MGs imported too over the years, but back in the day in Blighty, my first sporty ride was a Triumph Vitesse - straight 6-cyl 2-door 4-seater that was as pretty nippy for a ‘saloon car’ and left a few MG Midgets standing. MGBs gave me a better run for my money! Spent way too many Sunday afternoons sitting on the front wheel of the Vitesse with the wrap-around hood up, trying to tune the twin Webers!
Still asea by the way… too much time spent reminiscing! 😆
One world. One planet. One future.
PBR

Post by PBR »

Doggy Paddled for 30 hours all the way to shore after cannonballing off the cruise ship in record time. Serves me right for solving on paper (always on my phone). I didn’t catch the meta until very very very closely reviewing the entire puzzle. I am an idiot, but an idiot on the beach!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Put the puzzle down long enough to fly from Denver to New Orleans. Looked again after checking into hotel, and 15 minutes later, On Shore! This one leaves no doubt. Nice puzzle! A Malbec for me
Attachments
BD087A4A-491D-498C-8F0F-13B7B68A0469.jpeg
Last edited by Sleepy on Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Reporting on shore. Nice puzzle!

Haven't read any comments yet. Will have to catch up tomorrow. Curious what topics are hot this week...
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on shore. i enjoyed this one.
cheekumbaldy

Post by cheekumbaldy »

On shore, after I almost gave up. I was so sure it was something else and followed that rabbit as far as humanly possible. Then I looked again, and there it was. Really cool one this week.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Still on the ship. Isaac appears distracted and is ignoring me.

Cruise ladies are smothering Isaac tonight!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nothing, nothing, nothing...hey that's odd, and that's odd too, nope can't be odd three times in a row! Is that sand I fell on my feet?

Ashore and very pleased with myself even if it is page 9.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Came ashore Thursday night after thinking I wouldn’t solve. Amazing how one can go from nothing to something in an instant.
Really was “at sea” last week. Sat at one of the many bars trying to figure out last week’s meta. (Hubby memorialized with a photo I am too embarrassed to share. No, I never solved.)

At one point, I was sorely tempted to walk into the card room and yell “Any muggles here?”
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Grover

Post by Grover »

Ashore! Clever tricks as usual.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OliviaL wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:05 pm After a bit of a hiatus due to lack of cell service while camping, I’m back and on shore :)

Pictured: our favorite camping spot in Argentina!
Wow, that is spectacular with two spectacs!! Argentina eh, I thought sure it was the American West. Now do you drive your SUV all the way to Argentina to camp? THAT is dedication.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. I often forget two particular strategies with the result of frequent failures to find the meta. Tried one of these which led immediately to a rabbit hole. But the second strategy was successful. Happy to have tomorrow free, the last day of a visit to meet our seventh grandchild. No agonizing over the puzzle at nap time!