"Finishing The Story" September 2, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ksbfl

Post by ksbfl »

Second only to WORLDLE for making me question my actually quite good education. Otherwise, on shore pretty quickly.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

And, @Wendy Walker looks quite the "cat's meow" in her new do!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
kawaja

Post by kawaja »

Perhaps my dominant position at the bar is scaring everyone to shore. It must be the lack of a literary degree that keeps me here... yeah, that's it...
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

Heading to see The Fixx tonight.
Attachments
The_Fixx_-_Reach_the_Beach.jpg
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

On shore. Love the ZooMuggles. What a group! Thanks to you for setting me on the right path.

Have a terrific holiday weekend, All.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Is that "Cat's" meow?!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

CalRhody wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:27 pm Ashore...

Hi all. I'm guessing this has been answered elsewhere, but... When I submit an answer on the WSJ site, I never get any email. Do they only email the contest winner(s)? Thanks, and sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

-Marc
(Long-time listener, first-time caller for WSJ puzzle)
Correct, only the winner gets a reply from WSJ.

One advantage of submitting by email, instead of using the submission form on the site, is that at least then you can see your entry in your Sent folder and know you remembered to do it.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

mikeB wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:35 pm Ashore on a Friday that I thought was going to be consumed by a rabbit-filled quest. It reminds me that the reason we chase rabbits is that they sometimes turn out to be the real thing. In this case, it was a close call for me. After “happening to notice” something, the voice of experience in my head told me to forget it. It was a coincidence, and only a partial one at that. Nothing to see here, folks. But I am nothing, if not a rabbitual offender. Maybe there’s another “coincidence”? Let's see. The next thing I know, I’m on my way. My lesson (re)learned is: Don’t spend too much time chasing a rabbit, but just as importantly, don’t spend TOO LITTLE time on one, because a rabbit it may not necessarily be. This is a dandy and very clever meta.
@mikeB
RABBITUAL OFFENDER!! Love it… a new “Mugglism” that describes so many of us ! 😂
Will be stealing this and using it in the future!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

….
Last edited by Ergcat on Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

woozy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:32 pm
CalRhody wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:27 pm Ashore...

Hi all. I'm guessing this has been answered elsewhere, but... When I submit an answer on the WSJ site, I never get any email. Do they only email the contest winner(s)? Thanks, and sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

-Marc
(Long-time listener, first-time caller for WSJ puzzle)
That's the very first question I ever asked here.

It's a big silent big hole with no reverberating echo.

It's very disconcerting but... that's how it is. I have to take it on faith my answers have been going through. Although if they haven't been.... there's no way I'd know.

But then again the odds are I'll never get a mug so ... what the heck.

And somewhere along the way, I'm not sure when, communicating on these boards became more satisfying and important.
@woozy I agree!! Mug, maybe never, but communicating on these boards is great! And my goal… PAGE 1!! 😂 someday …
Goms

Post by Goms »

Ashore
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

Solved this at the lunch table, leaped through the rest of the rehersal and hurried home to post/toast my success.
Attachments
soaring.PNG
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

On shore with an assist from the zoom. I went down some deep rabbit holes. Whether I've solved or not and wherever I am I really look forward to the Friday zooms. What an amazing group you all are. I love the positive atmosphere and the support. Have a great weekend all
SoccerMom

Post by SoccerMom »

On shore after a lot of staring and a very interesting rabbit hole that took me ALMOST in the right direction. The thing about rabbits is that they are so cute to look at, that once you see them, it's hard to look away. 🐰 Ready to enjoy a weekend of great college football!
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore after a moderate amount of staring. And I'm off on a late summer vacation for two weeks!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On shore. Time for wine, to start off the long weekend.

Only needed a little of Mr. Google to solve. Son figured out metanism first, followed by daughter, with dad here lagging behind. But while they had the answer before I did, I was the only one who knew who the character was and source.

Agree with others that it had a really nice "A ha!" moment.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Didn't finish with things in time for the Zoom call today. Have an idea I'm working through, hopefully it isn't a rabbit hole.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

pjc wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:50 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 am Not my wheelhouse, but did finally figure it out. Oddly, something I thought might be relevant turned out to be, but not at all in the way I was thinking.
I wonder if it's the same thing I saw. More on Monday :-D
I'm guessing I saw the same thing both of you did.
SoccerMom

Post by SoccerMom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:30 pm
pjc wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:50 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:46 am Not my wheelhouse, but did finally figure it out. Oddly, something I thought might be relevant turned out to be, but not at all in the way I was thinking.
I wonder if it's the same thing I saw. More on Monday :-D
I'm guessing I saw the same thing both of you did.
That makes total sense to me. An interesting and strange coincidence if we are talking about the same thing.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Incredibly stupid of me, should have known to do that....but then that is always the cry. I am arriving at shore, I am not submitting.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!