"Rainbow" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Rainbow" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Here's a more difficult puzzle for you. (Actually, while I initially thought of this as a "week 4" puzzle, after the last few weeks of meta hell I am revising this down to a 2 or maybe 3 at the most!) Please note that this puzzle has been designed with Google in mind. There is no way you know what's needed to solve this meta without it, unless you are a web designer with a photographic memory! The answer to the meta is what graffiti artists do with their colors.

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Rainbow - Online Form
Rainbow - PUZ
Rainbow - PDF
Rainbow - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Castle stormed and pot of gold absconded with. None left for the rest of you, sorry!
Ray
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

@rjy , I want some of that gold! Fun puzzle.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

@boharr just catapulted me over the MOAT like one of those cows in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Nice one, Ben!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, solved but with a couple of questions. But a solve is, as I've always said, a solve so color me happy. I suppose In this instance I may have been MOAToring along on a flat tire..

OK, then maybe I'll have a Fat Tire!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Was that a moat back there?

Fun puzzle, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're over the 24 hour mark, and here are the 13 solvers who found the pot of gold:

Hector
rjy
boharr
DIS
wendy walker
Cindy Weatherman
DrTom
Laura M
Carolyn
Tyrpmom
ChrisKochmanski
markhr
Golem
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally got it. I was doing it correctly except for one small thing which a kindly muggle pointed out.
Cindy Heisler
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Enjoyed this one, and thanks for making it a bit easier on us!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I'm across the MOAT! Thanks for the fun META. First one I've done in about a month and it was a beauty.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm going to release the nudges slightly earlier than usual. But before I do, here's who made it to the pot of gold over the last couple of days:

woozy
Cindy Heisler
Bbaack
CPJohnson
edestlin
Ash
lbray53

That's a total of 20. Let's see if the nudges can shake a few more solvers loose!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. 42 across contains the main hint: "Groupings of 6 characters that define HTML color values that you will almost certainly need to Google in order to solve the meta." These are HEXADECIMAL RGBS (red, green, blue values).

2. But what to Google? This is where the asterisked clues come into it.

3. The asterisked clues contain HTML color names.

4. But how to locate the meta answer? There's another hint in the grid.

5. The puzzle is titled "Rainbow" and the clue for 65 down references rainbows. This is not a coincidence!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Finally made it across. Used the last couple of nudges, but mostly needed to overcome an initial stupid error. Fun puzzle!
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Bahaha, 75-Across. (That's basically my sense of humor.)

Just started the meta. I like the scavenger hunt feel - I don't think I'm giving too much away by saying that, as you did say we should use Google prodigiously for this!

Edit: The colorful castle is stormed! That was a fun one!!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 95. Dinner and a Show
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

MikeyG wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:54 pm Bahaha, 75-Across. (That's basically my sense of humor.)
There may even be the occasional pun! Not as good as yours, though. ;)
vandono

Post by vandono »

Crossed the moat according to crosshare. Thanks, Ben!
ReB

Post by ReB »

On the castle grounds after benchen threw me a rope to extract me from the moat. Still dripping...
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I was a tad off kilter for some time, but with Ben's encouragement and various versions submitted, I finally got it right!

Capturecastlemoat.PNG
Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the last solver update before the answer reveal:

ajk
Abide
Small Wave Dave
Mikey G
vandono
Spid4567
ReB
whimsy
frostyjhammer
THC

We made it to 30! Well done, everyone.