"Literary Numerals" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Literary Numerals" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? I was trying to be kind to you, so there's a pretty big hint in the grid of this puzzle (and I'm not talking about 35 across). But I don't want anyone submitting guesses based on that hint. Not that I will be able to tell, but please only submit an answer if you work out the meta mechanism, because it's a really cool one. Pretty please! The answer to the meta is a book.

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Literary Numerals - Online Form
Literary Numerals - PUZ
Literary Numerals - PDF
Literary Numerals - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif

The 1st Pre-release MOAT Pack is still available for purchase at https://www.ephesusscroll.com/about/interest4.html. US$10 gets you a pack of 12 meta puzzles - with PUZ and PDF files - including nudges and solutions.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun May 29, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Seems this puzzle is an antidote for those who found the last MEOW excessively concise...
Ray
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beware: A print out of the .puz file will cut off the down clues at like 40.
MMe

Post by MMe »

boharr wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:45 am Beware: A print out of the .puz file will cut off the down clues at like 40.
And cause you to go blind
rjy

Post by rjy »

It took quite a bit of collaboration, but the castle has been stormed!

...and we swam all the way, Ben. Saw the hint, but still solved via the mechanism. My arms are tired!
Ray
boharr

Post by boharr »

^ that.

Moat left behind.
Darth

Post by Darth »

De-moated. Climbing the walls on this one... Thanks for the Tuesday fun, Ben!
Attachments
Screen-Shot-2020-07-10-at-6.57.11-PM-800x400.jpg
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

What moat? There was a moat?

I was a bad boy. I guessed at the answer, confirmed it on Crosshare, then got another Muggle’s help to work through the mechanism. (I might have stuck it out longer on my own, but I’m in a bit of a rush today.)

Very cool! Thanks, Ben!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Wow, I have a math degree and also do a lot of crosswords yet I have never yet come across SURD. That is, well, absurd. Just for that the meta is worth its salt.

Now to find the answer...
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:16 pm What moat? There was a moat?

I was a bad boy. I guessed at the answer, confirmed it on Crosshare, then got another Muggle’s help to work through the mechanism. (I might have stuck it out longer on my own, but I’m in a bit of a rush today.)

Very cool! Thanks, Ben!
So tempted to do something similar -- confirm then attempt a backsolve. But since I can't use the rationale of being in a rush, I guess I'll just stick it out a while longer, and still try for the backsolve -- because it's got to be that, right? :)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It has been pointed out that 6 down contains an error. The book in question is "John Macnab". It was actually a favourite of mine growing up, so getting the title wrong really stings! (It has now been fixed on Crosshare.)

I have also edited the clue for 22 down. New version of the PUZ and PDF files can be downloaded now.
Last edited by benchen71 on Wed May 25, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:33 pm Wow, I have a math degree and also do a lot of crosswords yet I have never yet come across SURD. That is, well, absurd. Just for that the meta is worth its salt.

Now to find the answer...
It's a bit archeaic. It was more common in centuries past. Lewis Carroll once wrote

Yet what are all such gaieties to me.
Whose thoughts are full of indices and surds?
x^2 + 7x + 53
= 11/3
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Approaching the 24 hour mark with the following successful solvers:

rjy
boharr
Hector
Darth
ChrisKochmanski
dplass

Not so many, but then again it is a week 4! If you were having trouble, I have edited a couple of the clues, and one of those edits is meta-significant (hint, hint!)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Corrections made to linked files. (You may have to clear your browsers' cache or do a "hard refresh" (on PC: CTRL+🔄).

Corrected DOWN clues:

6 Author, John ___, who wrote
"John Macnab", a thrilling
adventure involving three
successful but bored friends
in their mid-forties who
decide to turn to poaching for
kicks

22 What New York Giants center
fielder Willie Mays famously
made during the eighth inning
of a World Series game (with
"the")
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Darth wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:53 pm De-moated. Climbing the walls on this one... Thanks for the Tuesday fun, Ben!

OOH! A new Sudoku variant?
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Only two more successful solvers:

Bbaack
markhr

As a result, I'm bringing forward the nudges...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is one hint in the clue for the central entry in the grid: "Someone who decides which books will see the light of day and who also keeps track of the numbers, which is something you will need to do to solve the meta". Unfortunately, a lot of clues include numbers, so you will need a different approach.

2. Given the puzzle title, it is significant that four authors are located in the grid.

3. You might find another entry in the grid for each author. Think about more well-known books by one or more of these authors.

4. Clue numbers are involved.

5. Don't forget the first hint!
jbird

Post by jbird »

Crossed over

Needed that 2nd spoiler then I caught on.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Had to use a significant number of spoilers, such that I feel I fell a little short -- :P

Capturecastledrawbridge.PNG
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I've crossed the moat, although I'm not sure I fully understand how.
Cindy Heisler