"Visiting Flatland" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:46 pm

4. The puzzle title refers to a 19th century book about a 3D shape visiting a 2D world by slowly passing through it.
.... and how the inhabitant of the 2D could only view the part of the 3D shape that was intersecting the 2D world... and then only from the side

This was a very clever puzzle.
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Snuck into the castle last night. Crosshare confirmed it this morning.

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

First nudge finally steered me away from tremendously over complicating --
Capturecastle.PNG
Thanks for a puzzle that kept me quite busy, Ben, and also refreshed my memory of a book my son and I first read together nearly 25 years ago.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Lots more solvers! Yay!!

vandono
markhr
SJMcK
Dow Jones
Chas
CromsFury
Anita
DIS
Yash Pujara
Bbaack
Laura M
LindaPRmaven
whimsy
Chaddog

We're up to 30 now.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Turned blue from all the time spent in the moat, but the first nudge finally pulled me out, not without further dog-paddling. Very clever puzzle, Ben, and appreciate the artful nudges that still left a challenge. Cheers all!
Ray
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Monday morning here in Oz, and that means it's time for the answer reveal. But first the last of the solvers to make it across the line:

Account
rjy
Carolyn

That brings us to a grand total of 33. Well done, everyone!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here's the answer...

Visiting Flatland (solution).png

This meta would have been a lot easier for those of you familiar with Flatland. In this book, an inhabitant of a 2-dimensional world is visited by a 3-dimensional object, the Sphere. From the Square's perspective, the sphere's appearance begins as a dot that quickly becomes a circle that increases in size before then decreasing in size back to a dot that then vanishes. What has taken place? The sphere has passed through Flatland.

So in this meta, there are six 3-dimensional objects that are in the process of visiting Flatland. But where is Flatland? Well, it's the only column in the grid that passes through all 3-dimensional objects: the central column. This is the SEAM or "line" referred to in 10 D: a 2-dimensional plane seen end on so that it becomes a 1-dimensional line. Once you've found Flatland, you can see that the letters in the 3-dimensional objects that are currently intersecting with Flatland spell out SPHERE.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

By the way, here's the first review of the 1st Pre-release MOAT pack, courtesy of Al Sisti. Thanks for the kind comments, @Al Sisti!