"Missing Links" - July 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Jacksull wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 pm On the beach, at last.

I had to put this one down four times before I saw the light.
yes, this one required me to pick it up a few hours later and view it from a different perspective to find what was missing.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I'm okay with pineapple on pizza.

IMHumble&HonestO, all pizzas should have olives. My preference is green, but won't argue with black.

Perfect pizza: Italian sausage, red onions, green olives, then whatever else you care to add, with the exception of green, unripened bell peppers.

[EDIT 1: How do I make Friday dinner reservations at MarkL's?]
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

The WSJ Saturday crossword is a fun one. Without the clue at 119A would be a great meta puzzle!!!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:51 pm I'm okay with pineapple on pizza.

IMHumble&HonestO, all pizzas should have olives. My preference is green, but won't argue with black.

Perfect pizza: Italian sausage, red onions, green olives, then whatever else you care to add, with the exception of green, unripened bell peppers.
Black but Kalamata not those canned tasteless black olives...
TPS

Post by TPS »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:47 pm in St. Louis, we have things called "concretes", basically, frozen custard with things blended in.
I think most classic malt shops have Concretes - my issue is there aren't any classic malt shops within 100 miles of where I currently live - if this pandemic ever ends and I relocate to DC then I'm sure I'll have better luck.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Streroto wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:51 pm The WSJ Saturday crossword is a fun one. Without the clue at 119A would be a great meta puzzle!!!
That's precisely why I dislike it so much!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:31 pm PINEAPPLE WARS???

WE'RE GOING TO START PINEAPPLE WARS???

OK, I strongly disagree - a Roundtable Pizza (Hawaii and California chain), Canadian Bacon, Pineapple, Red Bell Peppers - YES!!!
Ok I am LMAO at this post Tom. I too love pineapple and eat it for breakfast most mornings but would never dream of having it on pizza.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:02 pm A quick apology

C=64 was the first one on the shore and I jumped over him on my list to Commodore

It must have been the computer connection.
Or you’re still using your Commodore computer?
boharr

Post by boharr »

Anchovies?
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

You should try Sweet potato and pancetta on fire-roasted tomato.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Streroto wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:55 pm

OK, I strongly disagree - a Roundtable Pizza (Hawaii and California chain), Canadian Bacon, Pineapple, Red Bell Peppers - YES!!!
Ok I am LMAO at this post Tom. I too love pineapple and eat it for breakfast most mornings but would never dream of having it on pizza.
on the big Island (and there's only one, and it's not SULPA), go to the Dole Plantation and have a Dole Whip. They are great!
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:47 pm in St. Louis, we have things called "concretes", basically, frozen custard with things blended in.

Blueberries in chocolate custard is one of my "go to-s".
After a bachelor party 3+ decades ago, I learned that Ted Drewes is learned in the science of hangover cures.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Streroto wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:00 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:02 pm A quick apology

C=64 was the first one on the shore and I jumped over him on my list to Commodore

It must have been the computer connection.
Or you’re still using your Commodore computer?
Our earliest one was a TRS-80 we got in 1980 with a cassette tape drive.

From there we moved to MAC's because I was working on a multicompany project which standardized on Mac's. Then the company would not let Mac's on the network (except for the graphic art department) we migrated to PC's

I remain convinced that as late as the mid 90's if Apple had opened its architecture, we would all be using Apple architectured products. MS-DOS, Windows 95 and Windows 98 could not compete with the Apple operating systems.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:29 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:10 am I love this guy--even though he does diss Da Bears.
I kind of love him because he disses the Chicago Bears National Football League team.

First genuine chuckle out loud was when he brought the hammer with him to get ice for the first drink.

A MUST: His Target Husbands video. I had tears & nearly lost my breath a couple of times. It's special to have one guy with talent, but the other three husbands & one wife are perfect in their roles. They must be professional comedians/actors. The twerps are cute, too!
Also check out The IKEA Husbands...hilarious!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TPS wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:55 pm
Streroto wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:51 pm The WSJ Saturday crossword is a fun one. Without the clue at 119A would be a great meta puzzle!!!
I still don't get it even after hearing the explanation.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

We've done a birthday party, or two, some "take out" and an office party - haven't ventured into freeze-drying and FedEx quite yet.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:20 pm
TPS wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:55 pm
I still don't get it even after hearing the explanation.
Maybe just turning (spelling backwards) the first words (heads?) around.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:19 pm MS-DOS, Windows 95 and Windows 98 could not compete with the Apple operating systems.
Given to Steve Jobs - at no cost - by a lowly VP at Xerox. It was probably the most costly business decision ever made.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Streroto wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:55 pm

I had it on pizza once, and that was enough. I have also had sauerkraut pizza (tasty, but it gets soggy fast), venison pizza (meh), arugula pizza (interesting but ...), smoked trout pizza (see arugula), and probably any incarnation in between. I love pizza in France with a fried egg on it. I'm still a traditionalist; I always try a cheese and pepperoni for the first one from a new shop because that is what should be the baseline. I do ascribe to the hackneyed statement "there is no bad pizza". Finding good pizza in Jacksonville is difficult particularly when you used to live in Philadelphia or Detroit. Thankfully I never lived in NYC or they say I would be spoiled for other pizza forever.

Oh, and like Streroto I do love pineapple and often have it for breakfast on cottage cheese. Too many church dinners and diners as a kid where that was served.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:39 pm
The people I trust with pineapple malts are local parlors.
One of the claims to fame of the small town I live in (maybe the ONLY claim to fame!), is that we are home to the original Tastee Freeze franchise. 70 years in the same location. I took this picture a few months ago when they opened back up in the Spring.
IMG_6466.jpg