"Factored Out" March 29, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Solved yesterday (thanks for the extra set of eyes @Wendy Walker), but didn't post until I actually sent that email!
wjchatto

Post by wjchatto »

I asked for 3 nudges and received nothing so i must be doing something wrong. This platform is almost as confusing as the puzzle. Here's where I am: I've completed the grid do not discuss details of the puzzle nor your efforts to solve it and stared at it for over a day. That's it. I'm ready to quit...
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Think I’m on shore. Kind of convoluted methodology. I’ll be interested in how the explanation goes on Sunday night.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

This is a boat week for me.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

At sea. 🦈 I initially thought this would be in my wheelhouse, but apparently not.
sjm

Post by sjm »

Nudged, nudged, and the finally shoved ashore!
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

I think I'm stuck on board for the duration.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

After a rainy slog I pulled myself ashore.

Wow.
🌴🍹
Char

Post by Char »

Solved
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

wjchatto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 pm I asked for 3 nudges and received nothing so i must be doing something wrong. This platform is almost as confusing as the puzzle. Here's where I am: I've completed the grid do not discuss details of the puzzle nor your efforts to solve it and stared at it for over a day. That's it. I'm ready to quit...
Generally, the preferred method of getting a nudge is to PM someone who has stated that they have solved, and, preferably, are online. Tell them all the things you have tried, all the paths you have gone down. Also tell them how much of a hint you want. Just a "You're hot/cold with this path," or "Here's a shove in the right direction."

If you just publically ask the whole group, "I want a nudge," then you might end up with one person contacting you, 20 people contacting you, or none. And they will all invariably ask you what you've done so far.

Also, make sure you get email notifications when someone sends you a Private Message. It's in the PM settings.

Finally, if you send someone a PM and you see it in your Outbox, that means they haven't read it yet. As with all of us, people have busy lives. We don't always have time to look at our emails.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

Stuck bad. It looks like shipbound until next time. Take a break and give it another look-see after dinner, but not hopeful about this one. (This ship is headed to Bali.)
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

wjchatto wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:48 pm I asked for 3 nudges and received nothing so i must be doing something wrong. This platform is almost as confusing as the puzzle. Here's where I am: I've completed the grid do not discuss details of the puzzle nor your efforts to solve it and stared at it for over a day. That's it. I'm ready to quit...
I am happy to give nudges to anyone who writes a PM directly, as are many members of this wonderful group. Responding to a public plea is usually a waste of time, since, the chances are that someone else has already responded and the nudgee is offline and working on a solve.

@HunterX is correct.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved, with help from a kindly muggle. Congrats to all who saw what to do.
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles

Some have found success over the past 24 hours. If you are still on the ship, remember the 8 PM ET Last Call zoom session tonight.

Currently we have 13 on the ship and 114 on the shore on a very challenging meta

New to the ship's bar since yesterday are

C=64
mikeB
otlaolap
relic (and Maggie)
jrdad
Mirage
femullen
wjchatto

And scrambling their way to shore are

HunterX
CPJohnson
Don and Lisa
sjm
Cindy N
DrTom
Char
Greta1234
RVAtoOBX
Bonnibel
Anita
lbray
BigPear

Good luck winning the mug and have a great week ahead
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

This would have been a lot easier if I started on paper, but I made it to shore.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

I have been enjoying this delightful little book of poems written by our friend @femullen and recommend it to all for a very pleasant read. Keep 'em comin', Frank! :)

muggle.jpg
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Chaperoning a bunch of teen-agers on Spring break (why did I say yes to this 6 months ago???) and using that as a very lame excuse for not getting ashore yet (but I am trying really hard).

Happy Easter everyone
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Miki

Post by Miki »

Ashore!
And you know exactly when I solved....
You see, Ship4U offered hints. I asked them for help and they delivered right around the half time of the Illinois-UConn basketball game.
Once I solved and could finally concentrate on the game and stop staring stupidly at the puzzle, the game changed completely from a tight 2-point game to a blow out with a 30 point lead.
Thank you, Ship4U.

BTW, as everyone is so impressed by the construction of this weekend puzzle, I would like to complain. I feel that the title and the major clue(s) do not offer the kind of meaningful help I have come to expect from Mike Shenk. I think the wording is misleading. Hmph...
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Miki wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:24 pm BTW, as everyone is so impressed by the construction of this weekend puzzle, I would like to complain. I feel that the title and the major clue(s) do not offer the kind of meaningful help I have come to expect from Mike Shenk. I think the wording is misleading. Hmph...
Different strokes.

I read exactly what I was to do. I was stopped a couple of times, because I didn't see the full, well lit path from the start. I will explain, tomorrow.

In no way am I demeaning your experience! I've had it many times, will again, and it's my usual reaction to metas others see as clear.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Bursting with excitement that I have finally found my way to shore. This was a tough solo row! And what an amazing construction, Mike Shenk.