"Happy Anniversary" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

With three puzzles out this week, I'm doing my best to keep the solver lists updated. Here are the latest solvers for "Happy Anniversary":

CPJohnson
lbray53
KayW
Chaddog
ImOnToo
edestlin
Tyrpmom

That brings us up to 25.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh, for gosh sake... (when it hits and you realize you weren't really trying)

Congratulations on your anniversary!
Stinky Pinkies!

My Entry to the May 2024 CrossHare Midi Contest

Not a meta, but, yeesh!, that was tough to create.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Pro-MOATed. Happy anniversary, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update before the nudges:

Spid4567
woozy
Darth

which brings us to 28. Let's see if the nudges can shake some more solvers loose!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The central entry does not provide any hint on how to solve the meta. But you may have noticed that some of the entries in the grid don't quite match the way they have been clued.

2. What word is missing? And what might you do with the grid entries using that word? (especially if you remember this mechanic from the last time I used it!)

3. You should find 11 entries are missing the word SECOND. Instead of focusing on the first letters of those entries, as is the usual practice...
ReB

Post by ReB »

Safely over the moat with the second nudge.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged across the moat again. Another outstanding submission from Ben. Happy Metaversary !!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here are the last batch of solvers before the answer reveal:

LindaPRmaven
ReB
BarbaraK
Dow Jones
Bbaack
BobJas
jbird
Bird Lives
Johnny Luau

That brings us to a total of 37. Well done, everyone!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Happy Anniversary":

Happy Anniversary (solution).png

I enjoyed this meta mechanic so much I thought it was worth doing a SECOND time! :D
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Clever. I just assumed that a bunch of your clues didn’t make complete sense because Australian.

Steven McKinney