"Another Link In The Chain" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Another Link In The Chain" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Fleetwood Mac's classic song "The Chain" was, according to the band members, cobbled together from different musical ideas that came together in the studio. It's a cool song, but it actually doesn't have anything specific to do with the meta. I was just looking for a suitable image for Crosshare and different versions of the LP cover showed up, which made for an interesting image. Anyhoo, the answer to the meta is a 6-letter word.

PM me with your submissions or submit on Crosshare. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Another Link In The Chain - Online Form
Another Link In The Chain - PUZ
Another Link In The Chain - PDF
Another Link In The Chain - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

In the moat. Just wanted to be first to post.
boharr

Post by boharr »

DrTom 2.0
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

second puzzle already this week that is a filled out grid but no meta materializing. Am i getting dumber? prolly.
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We've been restricted from posting, but Joe has allowed me to put out the first batch of solvers:

Hector

Wow, this is definitely playing like a "week 4"! I'm going to release the nudges early...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are no additional hints in the grid, sorry! But what did you expect for a "week 4" puzzle?

2. Look for things repeated in the grid.

3. Sequences of 3 letters are repeated in the six 6-letter words. Use these to form a word chain.

4. When you think you have a 6-letter answer, think again! (The puzzle title should help, too.)

5. This is one of those metas where step two involves applying what you've seen in operation in step one.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally struggled my way across the moat.
Cindy Heisler
boharr

Post by boharr »

A life preserver got me across the moat! I may have missed something though. I was naticked in a few places in the grid, but google rescued me too.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's time for the answer. But first here's the complete list of successful solvers:

Hector
Cindy Heisler
boharr

This is officially my hardest meta based on the Crosshare stats too.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Another Link In The Chain":

Another Link In The Chain (solution).png

Yes, this meta required you to guess 2 letters. But it was my hope that the first 4 letters would be enough, since an anklet can be a chain.

Over to you for the autopsy...
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Please explain how we should have known to use the L from Kinley. For that matter, the L and the E are used.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cindy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:18 pm Please explain how we should have known to use the L from Kinley. For that matter, the L and the E are used.
I was hoping you would realise that the next word in the original chain would have to start with LEY. As it happens, there isn't such any 6-letter word. However, you would then see:

SEAHAG
HAGRID
RIDANT
ANTNAP
NAPKIN
KINLEY
LEY...

and that would help further with the jump to ANKLET.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:28 pm
Cindy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:18 pm Please explain how we should have known to use the L from Kinley. For that matter, the L and the E are used.
I was hoping you would realise that the next word in the original chain would have to start with LEY. As it happens, there isn't such any 6-letter word. However, you would then see:

SEAHAG
HAGRID
RIDANT
ANTNAP
NAPKIN
KINLEY
LEY...

and that would help further with the jump to ANKLET.
Yes I looked for a LEY word.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Streak breaker for me :-) I submitted SHRANK and couldn't come up with anything else when that was wrong. I thought it might be a word that bridged the gap pack to the beginning:

LEY(something1)
(something1something2)
(something2)SEA

but I couldn't find any somethings that would work :-)
ReB

Post by ReB »

A drawbridge too far, I'm afraid...But I'm awaiting another opportunity tomorrow to storm the castle.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Laura M wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:13 pm Streak breaker for me :-) I submitted SHRANK and couldn't come up with anything else when that was wrong. I thought it might be a word that bridged the gap pack to the beginning:

LEY(something1)
(something1something2)
(something2)SEA

but I couldn't find any somethings that would work :-)
Exactly what I was trying for.

Well, first I was thinking LEYSEA, and influenced by the loosey=goosey Italian :lol: I thought maybe LEASEE, but neither that nor RENTER was right.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I also started googling LEY—- words, and thought LEYTON and LEYDON might have some relation to the puzzle, but being stumped at that point I didn’t pick it up again. Would not have made the jump to ANKLET without a glaring reason to do so, I don’t think. Oh well… next puzzle?
The other Wendy. :roll: