"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Ashore with a tow from KDubs.... I got the mechanism early on but am directionally challenged apparently!
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

I see lots of directions and have followed them into rabbit holes. Disappointed that I cannot see my way clearly this week. A nudge would be great.
🌴🍹
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Scott M wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:53 pm
On a separate subject, is anyone else having the issue of constantly getting logged out of the site? This just started happening a couple weeks ago. At times I'll log in, read one page, and be logged out when I navigate to the next page.
Yes, on my iPhone only though. iPad and desktop browser is working fine.
Kevin
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

And here's to post-enlightenment! 🍻 My addled brain saw something new and it led me to shore! Just a seltzer for me, I'm on the wagon for a few days.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

On a separate subject, is anyone else having the issue of constantly getting logged out of the site? This just started happening a couple weeks ago. At times I'll log in, read one page, and be logged out when I navigate to the next page.
Yes, but it was a while ago. I eventually realized that as soon as my iPhone auto-enters my user ID and password, it immediately logs me in before I get a chance to check the “keep me logged in” option. So now I make sure to check that box before letting it fill in my info. Knock on wood, no problem since.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:53 am Well, tried to follow the directions for a long time, but doesn't work when you just read the first page of a 3-page direction booklet. Exhausting swim, but finally ashore . . . . thx to my crossword whisperer.
this pic is a little too close to being a metaphor for some of our lives. I feel a bit like this today. What a time it’s been.
Levi12

Post by Levi12 »

New here and struggling with this meta a lot. Have also come upon quite a bit of gibberish but nothing has become clear. Would love a nudge for a newbie.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Fun solve.

Ashore!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Great meta, though I did need some hand holding. Thanks muggles!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:37 pm
Yes, but it was a while ago. I eventually realized that as soon as my iPhone auto-enters my user ID and password, it immediately logs me in before I get a chance to check the “keep me logged in” option. So now I make sure to check that box before letting it fill in my info. Knock on wood, no problem since.
Not my issue unfortunately, but thanks
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Abide

Post by Abide »

I am on shore but only thanks to my https://www.seatow.com/ membership. Will not be submitting.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

I guess I have a hard time following directions. I asked Isaac which way to the men's room and nearly stumbled into the ocean.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I wrote a book called "Following Directions" about 20 years ago for special needs students of high school age. I think I need to dig that book out of a box and review it because following the directions on this meta seemed awfully tough!!
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

Ok guys. I was LAS for the longest time so naturally assumed that this construction must be really complex. But after talking to my brother-in-law, I got it, and think it’s very gettable and basic. So don’t give up.
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

That might not have come out right. The construction is beautiful. I just don’t know why I didn’t see it.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Joe wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:58 pm After a collab with EVJ, I've made it to shore!
And yet I am still LOST AT SEA.
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

It took me a few days to piece together the mechanism, but once it hit me, it was fun. What a puzzle - happy to be on shore for the last 5 hours!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Stuck at same spot since Friday morning. About to throw in the towel. Just can’t make it work...
burak

Post by burak »

I could only start doing this now, and while I have an idea on how to execute the mechanism I don't think I'll have the time and patience to find the correct way to execute it. Unless I take a final look it at 11:45 pm and see exactly what I need to do (happened twice before!)
Joe

Post by Joe »

EVJ wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:45 pm
Joe wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:58 pm After a collab with EVJ, I've made it to shore!
And yet I am still LOST AT SEA.
I just sent you a PM. Sorry! I thought you had it.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.