"Backcourt Fundamentals" - April 30, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

ashore. not bad at all.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

femullen wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:23 pm I propose a new rule for Mike Shenk and other puzzlemeisters: No TV/movie people or titles are allowed to cross. Can I get an "Amen!"

We have 4D, 26A, 29D, and 31A making a big hole right in the middle of the grid, so I can't get 37A, one of the theme answers.

>8^(

Update. Ok, I googled them, and well that I did: never in life have I seen or heard the word at 37A.

And the meta? I sure hope I don't need to know anything about backcourt fundamentals to get this. Those rank right up there with movies, TV, and 37A in my vast store of ignorance.

Mark me adrift, Cruise Director.
Agree on 37A.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Henry Paul wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:38 pm Hanging with Isaac in my usual chair.

Heartened by all the comments that I'm overthinking the complexity of this thing (like somehow that's S-O-O-O unusual....)
Right there with you.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Ashore with breezy solve! Fun puzzle, and right in my strike zone. Now to cool off a bit with that Mai Tai.
🌴🍹
Hamrock

Post by Hamrock »

Got it! Easy...count me ashore
Julie
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Ashore. The grid was excruciating but the meta was almost too easy. Well done, though, and enjoyable.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I'm ashore, but it took me an extra minute because I don't follow the sport too closely.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Don't you hate when you log on for inspiration, and see all of the "Whew! Easiest Meta ever" comments?! Added to the one-two star rating, of course, all of which makes me feel dumb. Well, I *am* dumb...but I'm also very sensitive about my dumbnitude.
(LOL - Rack 'em up, Isaac...)
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Took the long way to the beach, and happy to still find some space to place my chair. Tell Snoop and Bad Bunny I'll have what they're having.

Stay well!
Paul
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Kas wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:23 pm Don't you hate when you log on for inspiration, and see all of the "Whew! Easiest Meta ever" comments?! Added to the one-two star rating, of course, all of which makes me feel dumb. Well, I *am* dumb...but I'm also very sensitive about my dumbnitude.
(LOL - Rack 'em up, Isaac...)
Huh. Never happened to me. Except last week, the week before that, . . .
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

ON SHORE !!!! But I will wait to submit until I see if my daughter gets it too! She’s my puzzle-buddy and consultant!!
tobivillanovi

Post by tobivillanovi »

Dedicating this one to Coach Jay Wright! I'm sure he'd love this one. Enjoy the beach everybody!
Go Cats,
Tobi
femullen

Post by femullen »

Thurman8er wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm I'm ashore, but it took me an extra minute because I don't follow the sport too closely.
Roh-roh! I don't follow the sport at all. Is this one of those specialty-knowledge metas, like the time we had to know the lyrics to some Beatles song? Is that why I see nothing, or am I just being my normal thick-witted self?
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Inca

Post by Inca »

femullen wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:23 pm I propose a new rule for Mike Shenk and other puzzlemeisters: No TV/movie people or titles are allowed to cross. Can I get an "Amen!"

We have 4D, 26A, 29D, and 31A making a big hole right in the middle of the grid, so I can't get 37A, one of the theme answers.

>8^(

Update. Ok, I googled them, and well that I did: never in life have I seen or heard the word at 37A.

And the meta? I sure hope I don't need to know anything about backcourt fundamentals to get this. Those rank right up there with movies, TV, and 37A in my vast store of ignorance.

Mark me adrift, Cruise Director.
@femullen A loud AMEN from me!
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Ashore and cutting the strings.
Inca

Post by Inca »

OK, so I have a moral dilemma: To submit or not to submit

Someone inadvertantly gave me a nudge when telling me why they thought I wouldn't get this one. So of course, now I had to get it and I did. But do I submit my response or not? Would I have come up with it without her comment? I actually might have. But there is also the possibility that I never would have looked at it again at all....knowing that it's not in my wheelhouse and might not feel like googling (one of my least favorite things to do).

So far I'm leaning toward sitting this one out and letting someone else win (like as thought I would win even if I did submit). When I do finally win (hope springs eternal), it'll be a pure win.
femullen

Post by femullen »

SReh26 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:03 pm
Henry Paul wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:38 pm Hanging with Isaac in my usual chair.

Heartened by all the comments that I'm overthinking the complexity of this thing (like somehow that's S-O-O-O unusual....)
Right there with you.
I'm very glad for the company. Thanks, y'all.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
ColeTrain

Post by ColeTrain »

New here. Started doing the puzzles a few weeks ago and I still cheat on some of the answers. Didn't even realize the Friday puzzles are different. Have the puzzle solved but I am going to need a nudge...
Usually found struggling with the meta late Saturday and Sunday night.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Inca wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:11 pm OK, so I have a moral dilemma: To submit or not to submit

Someone inadvertantly gave me a nudge when telling me why they thought I wouldn't get this one. So of course, now I had to get it and I did. But do I submit my response or not? Would I have come up with it without her comment? I actually might have. But there is also the possibility that I never would have looked at it again at all....knowing that it's not in my wheelhouse and might not feel like googling (one of my least favorite things to do).

So far I'm leaning toward sitting this one out and letting someone else win (like as thought I would win even if I did submit). When I do finally win (hope springs eternal), it'll be a pure win.
It's always a personal decision; but from your last paragraph, it sounds as if you have resolved your quandry.
Inca

Post by Inca »

M and M wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:44 am
dk letter wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:50 pm Relieved to be on the beach. Sports two weeks in a row plus superheroes in MMM?! Next week I want gardening, grammar, Lord Peter Wimsey, cookie baking, and knitting, please!
For those of us unacquainted with Lord Peter Wimsey, how would you recommend correcting this?
Correct by immediately purchasing and reading Murder Must Advertise - a nice start. Then follow up with Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night, and Busman's Honeymoon, all by Dorothy Sayers. My personal favorite is The Documents in the Case, but that does not feature Lord Peter.

As to the puzzle this week, it was easier to solve than any of the Dorothy Sayers mysteries will be. However, since we are not up to the standard of Lord Peter Wimsey, we will settle for being safely on the beach.
Thanks for the recommendation. Always looking for good reads...