"Swap Meet" - April 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:31 pm
BrennerTJ wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:26 pm Quick trip to shore. Fun!

(Is sending answer by email a second-best option? or is it all the same?)
Personally, I think email is better because then I have the message in my Sent folder and can go check if I can't remember whether I already submitted or want to check that I spelled it right or anything.
I agree, however I always send a copy to myself so it right there in my INBOX if I need to duplicate something the next week. Fewer clicks/key strokes.

On shore and swapped my 51-A 6-A 66-D and 35-D 9-A for a 64-A 12-D.
29-D, they even tossed in an 25-D 60-D, an 50-A 15-D and some 53-A 70-A. Isn't this my lucky day.
Last edited by FKelly on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Ashore!

Took another look, noticed a few things, and worked my way to the solution. Whew! Very nice. And now for a Kahlua and Cream.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

ASHORE --

And in honor of what would have been upcoming Boston Marathon Monday, I'll say that this turtle has gotten the best of the bunny --
CaptureT&H.PNG
These guys are located near the finish line in Copley Square and were made by sculptor Nancy Schon. She also created the nonet ( :) ) Make Way for Ducklings found in the Public Garden.
Last edited by whimsy on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Ashore!

My random thoughts:
Hmm, finished grid quickly as usual. "On the boat, hanging with Isaac."
Stumped per usual. "Still hanging with Isaac; he's running out of things to say."
See nothing. <This is going to be another frustrating puzzle; will need loads of help from friendly muggles.>
See something. This is promising, but getting nowhere. <Will need a nudge from friendly muggles.>
See something else. What if I try ....
Oh, Hey!

Looking forward to warmer weather and maybe a Southside Fizz.

Stay safe all.

P.S. Older brother collected beer cans during the 80's and one-time we attended a "swap meet" sponsored by the BCCA (Beer Can Collectors of America) -- totally fun. We had a trove of Hamms Preferred Stock flat-tops from the 40's (they needed a church key to open) that had been put into the walls of a house by the construction crew. When the house was demolished, all these pristine cans appeared and we scooped them up. They traded 6:1. He still has a lot of them on display in his office.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Panicked for a few minutes but then had an epiphany... so satisfying!
seahawks_seashanty

Post by seahawks_seashanty »

Found the right path, but thought it was a rabbit hole at first. Glad to be on shore again!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

On shore! Saw the steps for this one as I did the grid, feels good to have it out of the way.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore!
Gman

Post by Gman »

Henry Paul wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:46 pm Ashore!

My random thoughts:
Hmm, finished grid quickly as usual. "On the boat, hanging with Isaac."
Stumped per usual. "Still hanging with Isaac; he's running out of things to say."
See nothing. <This is going to be another frustrating puzzle; will need loads of help from friendly muggles.>
See something. This is promising, but getting nowhere. <Will need a nudge from friendly muggles.>
See something else. What if I try ....
Ditto for me, except the AHA! Oh NOOOO! I hate the Dread Pirate Parentheses!

LAS
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Easy but very clever. Good one!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Very much on the boat. Inkling of a possible part of the mechanism but that's it.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BethA wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:45 pm On the beach! 🏖 🍷

Great one by Patrick Berry!

[Edit: Getting our second vaccine shots tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.🤞🏻]
Good luck with your second shot. Don't be surprised if you are tired for 48 hours after

And all is right with the world
Beth T #14 post at 4:37
Beth A #18 post at 4:45
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob, count me high and dry in Isaac’s bar.
Though if high, maybe not dry...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Beth C wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:16 pm Ashore, enjoying a glass of chardonnay! Good luck Muggles. Clever meta...
All Beth's present and accounted for :)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore - fun one; even got my husband in on it. This is one of the last steps in my WSJCC routine: Solve grid. Solve Meta (65.38% of the time). Email puzzle to my non-subscribing puzzle pod. Text my paper subscriber friend that SHE CAN SOLVE THIS ONE. Check w the Muggles. KAS rating. Fill in my WSJCC spreadsheet. Admire the graph of my point in time solve rate. :D Email my answer. Post I am ashore (or not)! Begin my hovering on the forum. Evening drink to celebrate. Begin the mug vigil. Work other crosswords until the next Thursday.
I am less and less hopeful on that mug vigil step as the weeks go on!
wsjcc one year.png
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

KscX wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:10 am Ashore - fun one; even got my husband in on it. This is one of the last steps in my WSJCC routine: Solve grid. Solve Meta (65.38% of the time). Email puzzle to my non-subscribing puzzle pod. Text my paper subscriber friend that SHE CAN SOLVE THIS ONE. Check w the Muggles. KAS rating. Fill in my WSJCC spreadsheet. Admire the graph of my point in time solve rate. :D Email my answer. Post I am ashore (or not)! Begin my hovering on the forum. Evening drink to celebrate. Begin the mug vigil. Work other crosswords until the next Thursday.
I am less and less hopeful on that mug vigil step as the weeks go on!
wsjcc one year.png
I thought that I was an Excel freak but you make me feel better
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

And just to make you muggles in Florida and California and other warmer climes feel better. This was taken a few minutes ago
Outside of 495 in MA. Western MA and NH/VT are getting more

Oh and it is 27 degrees
Attachments
IMG_2310.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
femullen

Post by femullen »

All hail! All hall! I am in awe of KscX's running-average-solved-WSJCC graph. Monotonically increasing since Christmas and now approaching 70%. A few weeks ago I had solved three in a row, which made me a little giddy and too sure of myself. Then I failed to solve two weeks ago, missed last week entirely, and this week am adrift and clueless--heading for a negative hat trick. I haven't kept a record, but I'll bet over time I'm still below 20%.

I see that others here have expressed dread of this week's parenthetical numbers. I don't dread them. I stand bravely facing them and wondering what, oh what, might they mean. Rabbit holes? I haven't even found a depression in the ground.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
boneskull

Post by boneskull »

on shore! took a while to get the meta because i'm blind but it definitely wasn't difficult .........
KscX

Post by KscX »

femullen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 am All hail! All hall! I am in awe of KscX's running-average-solved-WSJCC graph. Monotonically increasing since Christmas and now approaching 70%. A few weeks ago I had solved three in a row, which made me a little giddy and too sure of myself. Then I failed to solve two weeks ago, missed last week entirely, and this week am adrift and clueless--heading for a negative hat trick. I haven't kept a record, but I'll bet over time I'm still below 20%.

I see that others here have expressed dread of this week's parenthetical numbers. I don't dread them. I stand bravely facing them and wondering what, oh what, might they mean. Rabbit holes? I haven't even found a depression in the ground.
I put this in the category of “what you will do in a pandemic”- however this will extend beyond. I’m hopelessly addicted. My weeks are defined as Thursday through Monday, with my “weekend break” on Tuesday and Wednesday. This is like learning another language- it took a long time to see improvement.