"We'll Have Waters All Around" - March 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:15 pm Still splashing around, gonna be another one of those.
Same over here. Dug some rabbit holes, but I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track now.

Might need to get the scuba tank out
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

I think I’m ready to come to shore, but Captain Stubing just announced that the ship is stopped because of a blockage in the canal ahead. So I’ll have lunch at the sand(wich) bar and contemplate my answer before submitting.

Anyone able to complete the grid without Google has my undying admiration.
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

Argh! I have an answer that I think works, but I can't quite make it click 100%. Would anyone be willing to hear my answer/reasoning in a PM and let me know if I'm right or to keep digging?

ETA: On shore thanks to a kind person checking my work. This is an especially clever one!
Last edited by meowmiao71 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore. It's frustrating when the AHA moment comes while driving, but satisfying when you're able to check it out.

A Dark and Stormy, please.
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

TPS wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:20 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:14 pm

And after and during if they will let you. There is no recommendation to avoid alcohol (well in moderation of course) before or after the vaccination because there is no evidence that alcohol retards or diminishes the development of antibodies. The only caveat will be to attribute the headache, shakes and GI upset to the correct shot....
From the anecdotal evidence I’ve heard - not drinking the day or two before getting the second Moderna shot might be good advice. A number of people have said that the day after getting the second shot has resulted in 12+ hours of feeling pretty crappy - adding that on top of a hang over even a minor one does not seem I would want to do.
I received the j&j vaccine a few weeks ago, and that next day felt like I'd had plenty of alcohol the night before. If I'd known that would've been the case, I would have.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Solved the grid pretty quickly yesterday online but not seeing the meta yet. Feeling like I have too much information to work with. I think I will redo today with my usual pen and paper method. All the chat about “construction” makes me think a more tactile approach will help.

It doesn’t help that during this past year I have completely forgotten what one does in a restaurant. :roll:
Last edited by Limerick Savant on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

Definitely on the ship. Tried some very complicated rabbit holes.
DanA

Post by DanA »

On the beach. Need a drink after that one...
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

It's early, but I'd like to request a nudge. I have plans this weekend that will result in a very upset spouse if I'm pouring over this for the next three days.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Think we are now on the beach due to our son! And if we aren't on the right beach... No matter. Fun getting him involved.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Billy M wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:25 pm
TPS wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:20 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:14 pm

And after and during if they will let you. There is no recommendation to avoid alcohol (well in moderation of course) before or after the vaccination because there is no evidence that alcohol retards or diminishes the development of antibodies. The only caveat will be to attribute the headache, shakes and GI upset to the correct shot....
From the anecdotal evidence I’ve heard - not drinking the day or two before getting the second Moderna shot might be good advice. A number of people have said that the day after getting the second shot has resulted in 12+ hours of feeling pretty crappy - adding that on top of a hang over even a minor one does not seem I would want to do.
I received the j&j vaccine a few weeks ago, and that next day felt like I'd had plenty of alcohol the night before. If I'd known that would've been the case, I would have.
Donated triple platelets this morning & getting 2nd Pfizer tomorrow. Tip: Buy stock in PediaLyte. I may be mainlining it.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:04 pm
Donated triple platelets this morning.
Joe, bless you for donating. I have seen what a truly amazing, life-enhancing impact a unit of blood can have on a cancer patient. Now: rehydrate; that's an order!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I have stuff scribbled all over my puzzle page, with nothing even close to making sense. I have a bad feeling about this.

However the day isn’t a total loss. My wife made caneles de Bordeaux today. Just a lovely pastry, crunchy on the outside and custardy smooth on the inside. Quite involved to make but so good.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:25 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:04 pm
Donated triple platelets this morning.
Joe, bless you for donating. I have seen what a truly amazing, life-enhancing impact a unit of blood can have on a cancer patient. Now: rehydrate; that's an order!
COVID lives on & many donors have evaporated due to its travel & gathering restrictions. New medical advances rely more heavily on donated blood & components.

Blood supplies are at critical lows. All capable donors, please consider donating at a local blood bank, or via a Red Cross drive or mobile event.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

Fastest swim to shore since I discovered the puzzle contest a couple of months ago! I guessed the phrase but wasn't sure/needed to confirm the meta of it before I was satisfied. Now I'm happy squealing and my husband is once again amazed! In honor of Passover tomorrow night, I'll celebrate with Magen David concord grape and a spritz of seltzer.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:33 pm I have stuff scribbled all over my puzzle page, with nothing even close to making sense. I have a bad feeling about this.

However the day isn’t a total loss. My wife made caneles de Bordeaux today. Just a lovely pastry, crunchy on the outside and custardy smooth on the inside. Quite involved to make but so good.
I've started keeping old puzzles so I can scribble on the back too!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Dplass wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:34 pm
mheberlingx100 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:33 pm I have stuff scribbled all over my puzzle page, with nothing even close to making sense. I have a bad feeling about this.

The previous week's puzzle page (especially if I have solved it) has become my good luck charm. I use that to scribble my notes and such on for the current week's puzzle--hoping that some good karma will seep through the paper!
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

My stack of meta-related papers lives on our kitchen island. I try not to add to it if I can help it, but this week I did.

Count me on shore thanks to help. Seeing as bell's started distributing in virginia again, and it's spring time, I'll have an oberon. I really missed this beer over the last few years.
boharr

Post by boharr »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:42 pm
Dplass wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:34 pm

The previous week's puzzle page (especially if I have solved it) has become my good luck charm. I use that to scribble my notes and such on for the current week's puzzle--hoping that some good karma will seep through the paper!
I have a clipboard full of previous puzzles that I use as scrap paper for current puzzles. Oddly, the stack never shrinks. It just grows.
femullen

Post by femullen »

When I see shore, I land.

When I don't, I sea.

Sea-ing is bereaving.

(Still aboard, skipper.)
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.