"Town & Country" - March 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Brian and Yuriy,
Thank you for reuniting
Us grateful MUGgles!

(Posted ashore at WSJ.)
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Welcome back. I am done and done.

Let the 57Ds begin
Last edited by DBMiller on Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

On the beach!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Grid was tough for me but had the meta mechanism early.

Great to have the site up.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Happily ashore and happy to have the forum reinstated. Thanks Brian, Yuri, Bob and anyone else I have inadvertently left off -- just practicing for my Oscar speech! :D
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Ashore! Glad the forum is back!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Brian, thank you for sharing the information about the site and your travails so we can appreciate your dedication to our Muggles Mania. Yuriy, sounds like a great guy to have your back.
I am onboard for supporting this habit with some green. Beats the withdrawal symptoms!
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Count me ashore.

And many thanks to Brian and Yuriy!
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. I also found the grid to be challenging and tried to do it without the help of Mr. G. In the end, however, I had a couple of blank squares that needed G-firmation.
DanA

Post by DanA »

Ashore. As usual I struggled with the grid. Maybe I shouldn’t have started on the Guinness before working on it...
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:48 am I’ll start putting back some of the customizations to the site, like Isaac’s picture, the calendar, star ratings, thumbs up, etc., (all low-risk propositions that don't require Yuriy), but it may take a week or two before everything is totally back to normal.
As someone who always has approximately 8,000 Google Chrome tabs open, may I suggest the little coffee mug icon that goes on the tab graphic be first on your list? :)
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

On shore! Quickest solve ever. Also the one-year anniversary of my meta adventures! 🚣🏼
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore within a minute or two of finishing the puzzle, but (like others, I assume) unable to report in here. Have to read though the earlier posts and find out what happened ... 🤨.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Ashore with the masses. Let me add my thanks to Brian and Bob for this fantastic forum!!!!!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hello everyone - great to have the site back

If you have not read post #47 from Brian - go back and do it. A lot of hard work that we appreciate

Just so you know, I am like the sportscaster in the booth - do little but look good in public
Brian is like the men and women in the truck making things happen - you don't see or appreciate them until whatever magic they do day in or day out doesn't quite work and you can't watch the game.
Joe Ross is like the coach sending in the play by creating his excel spread sheet and the other postings he does to make muggle life work. He does not solve the meta for you but makes it easier for you to solve it.
And there are others that help to make this a great community that we appreciate.

And to all muggles, a great thank you for making this very enjoyable with encouragement, witty comments (even DrTom's puns) and everything else that makes this unique and great.

We have 130 on the shore as I have picked up everyone on the WSJ page and here.

And we may have four new muggles from the WSJ page. Paul Meijer, Patrick Boyle, Elaine Grotheer and J Harding. If you have a blog name, let me know please.

Final thing - when you post a reply to a long posting - like telling me that I missed you in my Saturday listing that goes on forever, it is best to erase most of it (99%??) so we senior citizens don't aggravate our arthritic knuckles scrolling down unnecessarily.

And another bit THANK YOU to Brian.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

Grid took a while due to some of the ad hoc answers but meta was quick. Good luck all.
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

Thanks Brian and Bob for this site! I didn't realize how much I was enjoying it until it wasn't there. Anyway, on shore on (I think) my first Thursday.
FirstMax

Post by FirstMax »

On shore. Puzzle very hard, meta not so much.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

1. Status for Bob – ASHORE, as of Thursday night
(This comes first so Bob doesn’t have to wade through my entire post to find it. Also posted on the WSJ site, under hubbie’s subscription, so hope that doesn’t cause confusion.) Thank you, Bob, for all you do. Your post #135 says it all.

2. Sincere gratitude for Brian and all he has done and continues to do
When I tried to log onto the forum on Tuesday afternoon to post my MMM status and saw the dreaded error message, the first thought I had was, “Oh no, poor Brian!” His post # 47 confirmed what I had been thinking. I think we have all experienced that horrible feeling in the pit of our stomach at some time in our lives. I hate that you had to go through that turmoil, Brian! I am so sorry for what you have endured these last few days and fully support your idea to have a donate button on the forum. And feel free to make that happen sooner rather than later. Yuriy should certainly be paid for his services, especially the handling of the proposed migration and for future projects. And thanks go to him, too, for coming to our rescue last night. I also think Brian should be reimbursed for the expenses of the last two years which he has incurred to keep the site up and running.

3. How lost we all were without our MUGgle forum
This is our community, our tribe, our safe haven. We come here to stay in touch, to deliver puns (and laugh or roll our eyes at said puns), to learn, to share – TO BELONG! And we never realized just how important this forum was until we didn’t have it. I, for one, will not take it for granted ever again. And I thank each and every one of you for all your contributions!
Sara
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

cbarbee002 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:57 am Just returned from the ER after getting treatment for "MF" withdrawal (Muggles Forum) - - was shaking quite a bit but much better now. Quick swim to shore. Will get the Fresh Squeezed IPA chillin.
I hope the treatment failed and you have happily relapsed into your prior addiction.