"Chemical Change" - February 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Started late, but now definitely ashore. Definitely a fun puzzle. The Cruise Director in one post said it would be fun except for those people who wanted to be the earliest solver. MatthewL asked if there was anyone who wasn't in that group. I must admit that I am. I just enjoy the solve. Thanks also to the posters who pointed to the side rabbit hole with the Periodic Table of Cocktails - quite enjoyable.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Ashore.
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

On shore. I found this one to be the easiest yet, but maybe that's because I aced chemistry a couple of decades ago?
Last edited by BreeZynCO on Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Ok. I went ahead and submitted my answer so I am calling myself on shore. Something is still bugging me though.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

63A refers to a circus--which immediately brought the following to mind (don't worry--no spoilers).

There is a cemetery near our part of Chicagoland that has a section devoted to the victims of a circus train crash in 1918. The Hagenback-Wallace circus was one of the premier circuses of the day. One of their 3 trains, carrying around 400 performers (and their families) and roustabouts, was headed towards Hammond, IN. They had stopped on the tracks to do some emergency repairs and had put out the required warning lights, etc. Even so, an empty troop train (piloted by someone who had been fired once before for sleeping on the job) ignored all of the warnings and plowed at full speed into the back of the train. It smashed through the caboose and four sleeping cars, pushing everything (boards, iron wheels, bedding, and occupants) into a huge pile from car to car. Then a fire started. Passengers, even though injured themselves, attempted to rescue those trapped in the burning wreckage. Many did not escape the flames.

An estimated 86 people died in the crash, many of them never identified. Many of the dead were roustabouts who had been hired days or even hours earlier. Most of the gravestones just have nicknames ("Baldy" or "4 Horse Driver") or just state "Unknown Male". The Showmen's League of America (Buffalo Bill Cody was its first president) had purchased a section in the cemetery just a few months prior. Five days after the crash, the survivors gathered for the burial of 56 of their fellow circus workers. Years later, 5 elephant markers were placed at the corners and rear center of the Showmen's Rest Plot. Their trunks are lowered to symbolize mourning. This picture is of the largest of the statues.
Elephant.jpg
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Thanks LadyBird, for posting that interesting but sad story. It doesn't seem quite right to click on "Thumbs Up" for a fatal train wreck, so I posted this instead.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

On shore. (Chemist by profession, I would have felt like a blot on the escutcheon if I didn't get this.)

Cheers and happy weekend to all.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:33 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:10 pm Good evening. It is just after 9 here on the east coast so the contest has been out 5 hours. And we have 110 on the shore. (plus Meg's cabana boy)

Another crowded week.
Thanks so much Bob for continuing to manage us all. It occurred to me that with many new solvers, your job keeping track of everyone has also exponentially expanded. But you continue to be a fantastic Cruise Director!
Grover

Post by Grover »

On shore. Simple meta but cute.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. Totally forgot the new contest came out yesterday.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:08 pm 63A refers to a circus--which immediately brought the following to mind (don't worry--no spoilers).

There is a cemetery near our part of Chicagoland that has a section devoted to the victims of a circus train crash in 1918. The Hagenback-Wallace circus was one of the premier circuses of the day. One of their 3 trains, carrying around 400 performers (and their families) and roustabouts, was headed towards Hammond, IN. They had stopped on the tracks to do some emergency repairs and had put out the required warning lights, etc. Even so, an empty troop train (piloted by someone who had been fired once before for sleeping on the job) ignored all of the warnings and plowed at full speed into the back of the train. It smashed through the caboose and four sleeping cars, pushing everything (boards, iron wheels, bedding, and occupants) into a huge pile from car to car. Then a fire started. Passengers, even though injured themselves, attempted to rescue those trapped in the burning wreckage. Many did not escape the flames.

An estimated 86 people died in the crash, many of them never identified. Many of the dead were roustabouts who had been hired days or even hours earlier. Most of the gravestones just have nicknames ("Baldy" or "4 Horse Driver") or just state "Unknown Male". The Showmen's League of America (Buffalo Bill Cody was its first president) had purchased a section in the cemetery just a few months prior. Five days after the crash, the survivors gathered for the burial of 56 of their fellow circus workers. Years later, 5 elephant markers were placed at the corners and rear center of the Showmen's Rest Plot. Their trunks are lowered to symbolize mourning. This picture is of the largest of the statues.

Elephant.jpg
What a fascinating story. Thank you so much for sharing it. I have a collection of little elephant statues on a shelf. During Covid, I have often looked over at them because they all have their trunks up and I equate that with being happy. I was told years ago to buy them only with trunks raised. I never knew why. I’ll keep buying my happy elephants!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Dennis wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:20 pm Swam to shore after dark last night, but made it safely! Nice puzzle. I had guessed the answer before I even started the grid, but I don't submit unless I can see the mechanism. Have convinced a young friend in professional school to start looking at these and he may be hooked....another Muggle!

By the way, is there any info re: how long it takes M or M to create one of these? Maybe I have missed it but the question is always there in the back of my mind.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Come to the zoom meetings on Tuesday nights. We have several constructors who can tell you how long it takes them to create a contest and the we can guess how much faster Mike or Matt are
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BigRedBob wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:04 pm new muggle here taking full advantage of training month. onshore for third week in a row - but only now confident enough to post
BigRedBob and all other new meta doers - do not ever feel you have to be confident to post. There will be weeks where you are fully lost at sea and chasing rabbits all weekend. We all have been there and will be there again. And half the fun is talking about the rabbit holes you have gone down because the only thing I can guarantee is that you will find other muggles down whatever rabbit hole you go in.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. I had a strange mental block when it came to what I will call “Step 2” although it wasn’t really. But enjoyed finding the answer after overcoming that.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

FirstMax wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:49 pm On shore. Envious of all the noobs who got this easy training month. When I started doing metas, I had to find a synonym for snow before I could solve.
I gotta say... Love the avatar FirstMax.

Would you believe.... when looking for mine, I would have used that. But... (wait for it)

Missed it by THAT much!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Seems my first post didn't go through. Repeating...

Friday team assembled. Solved in 30 minutes. (We always just do the grid in its entirety, then look for the meta.)

Great meta! Good one for teaching newbies. But I'm guessing there won't be nearly as many of them getting the answer as the last few weeks. Just a guess.
KscX

Post by KscX »

On the shore. Having a bourbon on rocks with a tiny splash of Rose’s Lime. It’s my favorite and is that anything? Other than something ordered that makes bartenders act like it’s not a thing? Maybe Isaac or the Cabana Boy would have a name for it.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Ashore. Finished the grid and meta about the same time. Sippin' some rye and dreaming of the coveted mug. Good luck Muggles!
78MG

Post by 78MG »

Olaf wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:55 pm Ok. I went ahead and submitted my answer so I am calling myself on shore. Something is still bugging me though.
Same here . . . Certain aspects of the puzzle are reading as noise to me, not sure if I'm missing something.
Softie

Post by Softie »

I guessed it before I even started, but managed to get exactly half of the mechanism so took me longer than expected to confirm. Nevertheless, ashore!