"Poetic Justice" - February 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
femullen

Post by femullen »

TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:31 pm Hello, fellow Muggles! I'm an Audience Interaction Producer at the Journal and I wanted to let you know about a project we're working on. The puzzles team is currently developing a how-to course that will slowly teach new puzzlers how to find the weekly contest's meta answer. All four of the contest puzzles from February will be included in that course, and that may be why this week's contest may seem a bit easier than usual for seasoned puzzle-contest fans. But don't worry, each week our editors will increase the contest's difficulty to ease new solvers into the world of contest puzzles. Good luck to you all and keep an eye out for the crossword contest course coming soon.
I think I need this. What's the tuition? Can I use my GI Bill?
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:42 am And Muggles! How about we give Bob a pass this week on typing every single one of our names?? A simple “All ashore” will do.
Agreed! Enter all the data in your master spreadsheet, if you must, Bob. And let us know when we break the record for number of submissions (because surely we will), but please don't worry about making the lists this weekend. You more than deserve a vacay!! And thank you, thank you for all that you do!
Sara
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

Ashore.

Bob, I for one give you a pass on listing those ashore this week.
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Caught that nice rolling tide to shore.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

After reading TNakagawaWSJ’s post, I went on and submitted my answer. 🏖
Konnie
Guy

Post by Guy »

ashore!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thank you! This one had me wishing again for a difficulty rating. If it were labelled a 1, I'd have been confident that what seems to be the answer is it. If it were a 4 or 5, I'd have known that I'd just found the first step and needed to keep looking. Your post answered that - it's a 1; I'm done.

It's great that you're working on a course for newbies! Most of us here just had to figure it out on our own, or more recently with the posted tips or some PM mentoring, and that obviously worked because we're still here. But I wonder how many try and get frustrated and give up when some more intensive help could get them on shore with the rest of us.
TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:31 pm Hello, fellow Muggles! I'm an Audience Interaction Producer at the Journal and I wanted to let you know about a project we're working on. The puzzles team is currently developing a how-to course that will slowly teach new puzzlers how to find the weekly contest's meta answer. All four of the contest puzzles from February will be included in that course, and that may be why this week's contest may seem a bit easier than usual for seasoned puzzle-contest fans. But don't worry, each week our editors will increase the contest's difficulty to ease new solvers into the world of contest puzzles. Good luck to you all and keep an eye out for the crossword contest course coming soon.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

On shore. Could it be this easy?
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! Looking forward to the increasingly difficult puzzles this month!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

Quick and painless this week! Too early for tequila so I'll keep enjoying my coffee :) Have a great weekend everyone!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore. I feel much better about my answer now that I know it is supposed to be a 1. Missing an obvious mechanism but it can't be anything else.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore with a free weekend ahead of me. Bloody Mary since it’s still morning here.
TomAndDenise

Post by TomAndDenise »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:24 pm
TomAndDenise wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:50 pm Ashore --first time for a Thursday landing. Now what are we going to do this weekend?
Look at the Board Index for other meta puzzles. There are quite a few!
Just signed up with MGWCC -- thanks!
Tom and Denise Greaves
North Andover, Massachusetts
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore in short order on Thursday night but waited til this morning to see if Muggledom was anxious. Will submit now but wait to celebrate with a Manhattan after dark.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore. :D
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

On shore unless this is a pageant situation. It seemed to easy to me!
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Ashore as of last night, with nary a pause to greet Isaac. Since I'm usually a multi-day regular with him, hope he doesn't feel chuffed.

+1 for @LizD's thinking process; the WSJ staffer sealed it for me as well. (And of course, although I've not done them, y'all seem to comment about Gaffney's progressively harder metas as the months progress --- is this what's in store for us Feb 26???)

Happy weekend all.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TeaJenny wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:45 amAshore. :D
And welcome to the muggle crowd
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Whew - the contest has not been out 24 hours and we have 156 on the shore. Isaac has closed the bar and joined the tender crew ferrying muggles to the shore.

And we welcome several new muggles - TeaJenny, barry milliken, and adodz
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:13 am
HunterX wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:27 pm ...
Ah, pivot tables....
Well pivotables are nice...

merrygo.jpg

But I've always thought of them as more of an Ohhh than an Ahhh?
I was wondering what spin you might put on that one. But perhaps the political answer is to say I agree with you.

...then change my opinion when someone else asks me.