"Endnotes" - January 22, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Ashore.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:45 pm I have not seen Starlink. I use this site to find out when the ISS is near me. https://transit-finder.com/results
That photo is fantastic! You can almost see the solar panels of IIS.

And thanks for this link which I had not seen before.

In the evening when grilling outdoors, I often use this site to see what might be overhead: https://www.heavens-above.com/. On rare evenings the ISS is overhead, but there's always something of interest.
JustAQuickThought
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JAQT wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:26 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:45 pm I have not seen Starlink. I use this site to find out when the ISS is near me. https://transit-finder.com/results

In the evening when grilling outdoors, I often use this site to see what might be overhead: https://www.heavens-above.com/. On rare evenings the ISS is overhead, but there's always something of interest.
Thank you.

My camera can only do HD movies (1920x1080) but I have seen images from photographers with 4K capability (4096X2160) where you can see the solar panels.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Ashore!

Waiting for the football games to begin 🏈
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

By popular demand. :-)
Attachments
Pioneer Stereo.jpg
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:01 pm What does one do during a global pandemic? Spring cleaning in the winter of course . . . we've been cleaning out attic/basement/closets/etc for a couple of weeks now, and what did I come across? My Pioneer stereo system (with turntable) that was packed away in original packaging, and in MINT condition. Bought it in 1977. Just HAD to bust it out - - along with the three large boxes of albums. Hooked up the original JBL speakers I still had tucked away, and WOW - - it was amazing to hear the difference between vinyl and today's digital versions. Had to crank up some oldies - - Doobie Brothers; Clapton; Steely Dan; Flying Burrito Brothers; Eagles - - really took me back! Not a good day for getting rid of stuff, but I'm okay with that. :-)
The stereo system was gone a long time ago but we have a milk carton of albums from the 60's sitting in the basement. We are still torn between my wife's spring cleaning every year and sentiment.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Made it finally, with a nudge and encouragement from Boharr to look at it again today. Came in from work, picked it up again and bam, saw what I had been dancing around all weekend. I'm curious to read about the different methods used to find the solution.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:49 pm
cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:01 pm My Pioneer stereo system (with turntable) that was packed away in original packaging, and in MINT condition. B
Photo please! I had a Harmon Kardon back then.
I had the HK too! Still have about 250 vinyl albums packed away. They got crowded out by 1,500 CD's. But nothing to play the vinyl on now.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:21 pm
cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:01 pm What does one do during a global pandemic? Spring cleaning in the winter of course . . . we've been cleaning out attic/basement/closets/etc for a couple of weeks now, and what did I come across? My Pioneer stereo system (with turntable) that was packed away in original packaging, and in MINT condition. Bought it in 1977. Just HAD to bust it out - - along with the three large boxes of albums. Hooked up the original JBL speakers I still had tucked away, and WOW - - it was amazing to hear the difference between vinyl and today's digital versions. Had to crank up some oldies - - Doobie Brothers; Clapton; Steely Dan; Flying Burrito Brothers; Eagles - - really took me back! Not a good day for getting rid of stuff, but I'm okay with that. :-)
The stereo system was gone a long time ago but we have a milk carton of albums from the 60's sitting in the basement. We are still torn between my wife's spring cleaning every year and sentiment.
In Deland Florida, home of Stetson U, albums like yours are sought out by the college crowd. We also have a 19 year old great niece back east who bought a console with turntable and plays 60’s/70’s goodies. Loves the lyrics and harmony work.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
cpelster

Post by cpelster »

Ashore! Not 100% sure about my answer but it fits the title and clue.

Question: How do you upload an avatar? When I try, it says it has to be 19 KB or less. I have tried cropping photos from my iPhone, but the smallest I seem to get is 88 KB. What am I missing?

I don’t always post to this group but do read through it every week as a try for the Meta. 😀
matty_p

Post by matty_p »

I've used a different color for each rabbit hole I've explored and had to print out and redo the grid there were so many scribb... notes on the page. I'd welcome the gentlest of nudges re: Step 2. :/

edited to add:
boharr asked, and it's an obvious question, so my Step 1 is:

I'm looking at the Cs in the answers and trying to build something coherent off of them as some sort of "key," per 68A.
Last edited by matty_p on Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

cpelster wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:47 pm Ashore! Not 100% sure about my answer but it fits the title and clue.

Question: How do you upload an avatar? When I try, it says it has to be 19 KB or less. I have tried cropping photos from my iPhone, but the smallest I seem to get is 88 KB. What am I missing?

I don’t always post to this group but do read through it every week as a try for the Meta. 😀
How to re-size a picture for use as an avatar
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

cpelster wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:47 pm Question: How do you upload an avatar? When I try, it says it has to be 19 KB or less. I have tried cropping photos from my iPhone, but the smallest I seem to get is 88 KB. What am I missing?
Go to an online image editor and choose the resize option to reduce the size of your image until it meets the 19k limit. Here is one site that I have used successfully: https://www.heavens-above.com/?lat=33.6 ... t=0&tz=PST
JustAQuickThought
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

I am onshore with an answer I feel is 100%.

But like others here, BarbaraK's comment at #67 resonates with me:
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:28 pm I believe that some people who found the path to shore rough and inelegant may have taken a shortcut. Landed in the right place, but missed some of the sights along the way.
I feel that I have flunked the elegance test!
JustAQuickThought
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Still in the bar, and it does seem crowded this weekend, but Isaac is playing the coolest music! I should be focusing on the meta but instead I’m humming, and nodding to the music. Some of us are off our stools and moving toward the dance floor!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

JAQT wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:26 pm

I get my ISS notifications from SPOT THE STATION.
I got a notification this morning but I’m afraid we will have clouds. Here’s what my notification looks like:
(SpotTheStation) Time: Sun Jan 24 6:30 PM, Visible: 4 min, Max Height: 47 degrees, Appears: W, Disappears: NE
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

HunterX wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:36 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:49 pm
cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:01 pm My Pioneer stereo system (with turntable) that was packed away in original packaging, and in MINT condition. B
Photo please! I had a Harmon Kardon back then.
I had the HK too! Still have about 250 vinyl albums packed away. They got crowded out by 1,500 CD's. But nothing to play the vinyl on now.
I know I had components. I just can't remember what they were. Fischer? Advent? HK?

We've done computers and typwriters. Have we done cars? How about bicycles? After my gym closed, I dragged out my Peugeot U-08 (green) and would get occasional knowing comments from other cyclists of a certain age.
Jay
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:21 pm
Wait for your basement to flood--that will make the decision for you :(
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:48 am Good Saturday morning fellow muggles.

I am constantly amazed at the continuous ways that Matt, Mike and the gang can construct metas in different ways. For those who are new to metas, the only rule is that there are no rules which is what makes it fun and challenging.

We have 23 on the ship and 110 on the shore with our newest muggle being tobinillanovi.

On the ship are
Tom S
RobM
spotter
Peter
rosiegirl
SewYoung
MatthewB
ladybird
EVJ
jakenherman
Scott M
JaneGummy
hunkra
woozy
matty_p
chbarbee002
ReB
escapeartist
seahawks seashanty
ImOnToo
Worsdmith
meowmiao71
and Gman

And on the shore with more than a few needing resuscitation before making their way to the tiki bar are
Kay
Al
MikeH
oldjudge
joequavis
Andrew B
the Beths (ATC)
sanmilton
Toby
stmv
MileHighsolver
Cap'n Rick
paige11
TPS
Heidi
Dannyvee
Meg
laura
Tom Mueller
BarbaraK
damefox
Jace54
Tina
Anita
Wendy with her raccoons
M and M
Les
higgysue
mattythewsupuzzler
Dan A
boharr
Jordanian
BrianMac
Tmart
Cosmo
HeadinHome
streroto
LizD
sharkicicles
Homer
markhr
dplass
joes
Chris
Franklin
Trey and Marion
SusieG
dudeski
EmilyW
Tripod
seans
Frank
MajorDomoTom
Bill
Steveb
Dave C
Schmeel
RDaleHall
JimJim
Rex
LittleGood
JRS51
Plymouth Rock
scraps
Fred
otlaolap
Copper River
Jennifer
Grover
tobivillanovi
whimsy
TeamDoubleTow
Ed S
the Thurman8er
C=64
ky-mike
michaelm
edot
lbray53
Flananigans
JeanneC
Blair
bread-girl
moi - having been pulled to shore by the life guards
b4alltime
Fishoutowater
MaineMarge
Cindy N
Debbie
Jud
cinemagical
Glyn
kdubs
Bird Lives
ajk
Lacangah
dk letter
DrTom
halseymac
Lyman
Orsys
Rita and George
Crest
maprasad
Billy M
Omnibus
jhseeman
and eagle1279

Good luck to all and stay safe.

let me know how many on the shore I have missed.
I think you missed me. But I also don’t know if I posted that I solved.
matty_p

Post by matty_p »

Ashore once boharr pushed me back on a track I had previously abandoned. :(