"Creature Features" - May 10, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning
Our normal summary finds 67 on the shore and 3 on the ship keeping Isaac in business for now. Another clever construction. I have no idea how they keep coming up with different and unusual challenges for us.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

A quick note from the Mike Miller at the WSJ.

Greetings--yes, comments on this puzzle will stay open indefinitely. As some of you have noticed, in recent weeks, they fell under a new WSJ policy that comments are only open for 48 hours, but the puzzle is now an exception. Post away! Good luck with this elegant puzzle!
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BethA

Post by BethA »

Where did Isaac go? I mean his picture at the top of the forum. I miss him.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BethA wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 pm Where did Isaac go? I mean his picture at the top of the forum. I miss him.
He is still there for me
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

I agree that this was a very clever construction! That rabbit finally showed me his cottontail once I sat down with my paper.
So I am on the shore and wishing all moms a lovely Mother's Day on Sunday.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I can defend this week's attempt (with 8x10 color glossy pictures), but will not claim to be ashore.

One foot in boat - other on sand - awaiting Sunday's midnight tide for fate.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:01 pm
BethA wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 pm Where did Isaac go? I mean his picture at the top of the forum. I miss him.
He is still there for me
Oh, good! Maybe it’s just me. I couldn’t see him at first, either, when others had already mentioned him! Curious.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Refresh your browser. If that doesn't work, try a "hard refresh," which is "CTRL-F5" on a PC and "Command-Shift-R" on a Mac. This will force your computer to load the most recent version of the site.

Due to an update in the forum software this week, I had to re-upload Isaac, and it sounds like you are getting a cached (stale) version of the site.
BethA

Post by BethA »

BrianMac wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:16 pm
Refresh your browser. If that doesn't work, try a "hard refresh," which is "CTRL-F5" on a PC and "Command-Shift-R" on a Mac. This will force your computer to load the most recent version of the site.

Due to an update in the forum software this week, I had to re-upload Isaac, and it sounds like you are getting a cached (stale) version of the site.
Thanks, Brian! I use an iPad, and Isaac came back, after clearing history and website data under Safari in Settings. Phew!
jamescarter

Post by jamescarter »

On Shore.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

On shore, though I'm still struggling with the remaining piece....it has to be there somewhere. I'll keep looking, but I'm sending in my answer.
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BethA wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:26 pm
BrianMac wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Thanks, Brian! I use an iPad, and Isaac came back, after clearing history and website data under Safari in Settings. Phew!
Where would we be without Isaac to console us when the evil Matt or Mike styme our thinking
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Joe Ross wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:09 pm I can defend this week's attempt (with 8x10 color glossy pictures), but will not claim to be ashore.

One foot in boat - other on sand - awaiting Sunday's midnight tide for fate.
Whether on the ship or the shore or in between, welcome to the group.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Richard

Post by Richard »

I am not quite on shore, one missing piece. Will find it I am sure, if not, will submit anyway.

Amazed at the construction. Very well done.

Richard
Janet

Post by Janet »

I was also missing a piece, but just found it a few minutes ago. I may sit on my answer a little longer before submitting. I want to make sure it's not a pageant! On Monday I'll be curious to see if I was missing the same piece as others.

I'm so glad we have a fresh Isaac serving us! No stale, cached bartenders for us.
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

I had the meta method all worked out last night, but I couldn't get an answer that fit. This afternoon, I noticed I was missing one of the meta clues in my solution attempt. Funny how that makes it harder to solve the meta. Anyway, I'm on shore.
-Doug Morack
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

First post here, so proud of myself for learning to swim to shore! Mararita, please!
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

I'm declaring myself on shore, whether my answer is right or not! I got an answer -- I like my answer -- and I like the puzzle. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time I've deluded myself. GOOD FUN! Cheers to all!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

After a couple of weeks of being totally unable to solve the meta, today I am on shore. Order in for my Margarita, no salt. Glad to be back among the tanning!
Deb
JimmyJam

Post by JimmyJam »

On shore!

What an enjoyable meta. Impressive idea and construction!

As a relatively new solver of meta puzzles, I have benefited tremendously from examining the mechanics of past metas, both from Gaffney and other constructors. If any new solvers find themselves stuck on this or future puzzles, I highly recommend you do the same.

Anyway, cheers!
Last edited by JimmyJam on Sat May 11, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.