"Going In All Directions" - May 3, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Safely ashore. Another fun puzzle and meta!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I made it, squishing sand between my toes for the first time in weeks. Enjoyed this one!
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

On sand, but may be washed out to sea with high tide on Monday. Have an answer that makes sense, but no explanation for why I went down that particular rabbit hole.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

Well, posting did it. Had an idea to confirm what I did, and now I am 100% securely on shore.
azdataboy

Post by azdataboy »

A couple of missteps but onshore. Also thanks for the links to the sites with .puz formats. A typed version is better in solving the meta. My printing leaves something to be desired. :D
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖 🍹

Flailed around for about an hour on Thursday evening, but after a good night’s sleep, got it in about 10 minutes or so this morning, and waved goodbye to the ship! 👋🏻
Inca

Post by Inca »

tim1217 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 pm
Meg wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:31 pm
tim1217 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:23 pm Does anyone have a link to getting the .puz version (for Acrosslite)? The one I usually use (www.fleetingimage.com) is not working.
You’ve been getting the .puz version of the wsj?? I’d love that! The pdf's are eating my toner like crazy. If you find a replacement, please post the address.
This usually works at the release time, but for some reason it is not doing so today...of course, the added benefit is getting the 'happy pencil' so that you know the grid is correct...which can possibly make a difference for solving the meta.

https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/19-wsj.html
It's working now.
I never knew about this. Thanks.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

On the boat. Hit me with a cocktail or three, Isaac. I may be here a while, as I'll be unavailable much of the weekend - my mom is having gallbladder surgery. She's a tough 87, so I'm hoping she'll do fine. Best of luck to all muggles!!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Inca

Post by Inca »

Solved.
Amazing....I once was lost, but now am found

(There was red herring flitting around for a brief moment but then I saw twas merely a distraction and found my way.)

Oh, and for those who just like to submit a guess hoping it's correct...I don't think that will work this week. I doubt anyone would just randomly come up with this word.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

jenirvin wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:58 am On the boat. Hit me with a cocktail or three, Isaac. I may be here a while, as I'll be unavailable much of the weekend - my mom is having gallbladder surgery. She's a tough 87, so I'm hoping she'll do fine. Best of luck to all muggles!!
Hope your Mom does OK! Look at it this way: they wouldn't be operating if she weren't in good shape to start with.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Inca wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:02 am Solved.
Amazing....I once was lost, but now am found

(There was red herring flitting around for a brief moment but then I saw twas merely a distraction and found my way.)

Oh, and for those who just like to submit a guess hoping it's correct...I don't think that will work this week. I doubt anyone would just randomly come up with this word.
I second that "motion."
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Meg wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:49 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:39 pm Wow, that’s impressive! I’m on shore.

You can find .puz files at crossword fiend. Today’s isn’t up yet but should be at http://herbach.dnsalias.com/wsj/wsj190503.puz
Barbara, I always thought that the WSJ contest puzzle came out in print on Friday, which is why the Fiend only shows the regular Thursday crossword today. I’ve never seen the Fiend offer our puzzle on Thursday.
Fiend will link to the Thursday puzzle (on Thursday), but you can change the date in the link manually to Friday, and it works (once the puzzle is posted). The .puz version is usually available an hour or so after the puzzle posts on wsj.com
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Found the right direction - ashore after a pretty grindy grid IMHO.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning Muggles

An extremely interesting construction but these guys are very creative. A classic Mike Shenk.

We have had a steady stream of Muggles getting to the shore with 41 keeping the Tiki Bar in business. There are two muggles keeping Isaac company, going in all directions but I am confident that they will find their way.

And I agree with Inca/Frieda that it is highly unlikely that a blind guess will be correct. I, for one, had to look up the answer to confirm it was a word.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. Was sort of on the right track, but slipped into a nearby rabbit hole. Eventually got back out and found the proper one.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

On shore. Glad when I can get it all done in one morning. :)
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Add me to the list on shore. I managed to solve the meta quicker than usual. Another great puzzle from Mike!
Don S.

Post by Don S. »

On shore, shortly after finishing the grid, which is a great way to start the weekend.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore. Completed the puzzle yesterday, but was distracted by other things until today. Very cute (and very logical) gimmick ... 😜.